Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've looked through the hundred or so posts after a search for "Venza TPMS" -- confess, not every one -- and haven't found an answer. So starting a new discussion.

Relevant facts:
1. Three days ago I swapped tires with another Venza. My 245/50R20s for his 245/55/R19s. Both of us think our cars look better. (The color of the car may have a lot to do with it. A red Venza looks sportier with 5-spoke 20-inchers. My white Venza looks classier with 10-spoke 19-inchers. Or so we think.)

2. Before the swap, my TPMS dash light did not come on.

3. Before the swap, his TPMS dash light was constantly lit.

4. After the swap, I'm not sure about his car, but my TPMS dash light stays lit after a few minutes of blinking.

5. Of course all four tires are inflated to 32 psi. (And the spare to 60, but it doesn't have a sensor, so am mentioning it just to get it out of the discussion.)

6. I've looked in the glove box and under the dash (in my V6 2011) but found no reset switch. The Setup menu has nothing about the TPMS.

I'm OK with ignoring the light or putting a piece of black plastic tape over it, but the nerd in me would like to get this system working.

Not for the price of a service call at a Toyota dealership, though.

Any advice for me?

·
2011 Venza
2,911 Posts
I believe the problem is that the TPMS's have "addresses" or "names" that are identified by the ECU, if you have multiple sets of wheels with TPMS's, when you change sets, you have to change the "Address" that the ECU has for it. So in this case, you put on a new set of TPMS's but your ECU is still looking for the old ones. This is something that can be changed by a dealership or, supposedly, with the TechStream software you can buy online. I have seen in TechStream where it identifies the TPMS's and shows the "Addresses" but I have never tried to change them. As I recall though others have done this in the past.

I see the software and cable for sale online from $18-$50 depending on the site. If you decide to give it a try, be sure to check the platform requirements for the software. The older versions only installed on XP so you had to have an old laptop to run it, but I believe newer versions run on Win7 or 8.

·
Registered
139 Posts
He gave you his TPMS sensors and you gave him yours. Your car is looking for your original TPMS sensors.

You will need to get it registered to your car. Techsteam can talk to your cars TPMS and allow you to register but you need the ID off of the sensor. You can use a tool to read the registration ID for the sensor or you got to dismount the tire to read the ID.

I have a cheap Techstream cable and I did see the procedure to register a tire sensor when I was playing around with it.

·
Venza with a mean eyebrow!
2013 Venza AWD
726 Posts
If his TPMS light was already lit, then the batteries on those set of TPMS might be out. So even if you get them registered, you might still get the light unless you replace the TPMS and register them. Just a thought.

My old 08 CRV TPMS lasted about 5 years before it went out. I never bothered to replace them as I'm used to the lights anyways. It would have cost me $400-$500 to replace and re-register the new set. I'm glad our new CRV doesn't use these sensors anymore. Its all done by the ABS sensors now.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Toyota88, his Venza was a 2009 model and the tires weren't original.

That leads me to think his TPMS light was lit because:
1. His new tires didn't get his old sensors installed (but they're attached to the wheel, right?), or
2. His new tires did get his old sensors installed but one or more of the batteries, now seven years old, failed.

$400-$500?! What! I've been driving for fifty years and have managed to monitor my tires pretty well without this "system" (using the term loosely).

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"He gave you his TPMS sensors and you gave him yours. Your car is looking for your original TPMS sensors."

9009RPM, that's what I think the problem is too.

That's why I'm looking for a simple, inexpensive procedure to tell my car's system that there are new sensors to monitor.

What? There is no simple, inexpensive procedure? I have to buy equipment, maybe a laptop? Or take the car to the dealer? Just to tell me my tire pressure is low, something I can determine with the ten dollar gauge I've been using all my life?

I must be missing something obvious.

·
2013 Venza AWD
726 Posts
$400-$500?! What! I've been driving for fifty years and have managed to monitor my tires pretty well without this "system" (using the term loosely).
Thats because its a bit of work if you take it to a shop. Take the wheel off the car, pop the tires out, replace the TPMS, resit the tire to the rim, then balance the tire, put back in car. Now do this 4 times. Then reprogram the TPMS.

·
2011 Venza
2,911 Posts
... It would have cost me $400-$500 to replace and re-register the new set...
Thats because its a bit of work if you take it to a shop. Take the wheel off the car, pop the tires out, replace the TPMS, resit the tire to the rim, then balance the tire, put back in car. Now do this 4 times. Then reprogram the TPMS.
When I was looking for some 22" wheels and tires, I was quoted $50-$100 each for TPMS, then I would still have to go to the dealership to get them registered. Based on that, I can see easily paying $400-$500 at the dealership to get new ones installed.

·
Registered
139 Posts
$400-500 is too much. Just put a sticker over the light until you get new set of tires. :grin:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not saying the $400-$500 is exorbitant.

I'm saying it's not worth the cost.

How have we managed to drive all our lives without TPMS systems?

Why weren't they designed to be reset easily and without all the work you described?

I'll bet in the future, if not already, some car maker will have a reset button in the car that will take care of the whole thing with a simple, single push.

·
2013 Venza AWD
726 Posts
Why weren't they designed to be reset easily and without all the work you described?

I'll bet in the future, if not already, some car maker will have a reset button in the car that will take care of the whole thing with a simple, single push.
They have that for many cars already. My 2016 CRV has a reset button to do that. Don't need extra sensors for my winter tires or OEM tires.

·
Registered
34 Posts
^^ Seems like everyone is on it already,

Seems to me that either his TPMS sesnors are old and dead (reason why his TPMS light was already on) or that they do not recognize your venza and need to be programmed/re learned into the system.

In the winter, the light in my Venza will blink for about a minute after start up, then stay solid. That's because my winter wheels do not have TPMS sensors.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
"In the winter, the light in my Venza will blink for about a minute after start up, then stay solid. That's because my winter wheels do not have TPMS sensors."

Hmmm, those are my symptoms too. I wonder if that's the case with my new wheels. It'll be a long time until the tires need replacing, but I'll be sure to look for the sensors then.

I still say, with apologies to the dead horse, that it shouldn't be this hard or expensive to reset a non-essential systems light or to turn it off altogether.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I cut a dime size piece of black electrical tape each fall when I put my non-TPMS winter wheels on and cover the light.

·
Registered
2014 Venza
175 Posts
If you can park the 2 cars next to each other and see if the light goes out. I wonder if you could register 4 TPMS then stick them in a small tire like from a mini bike. Pump it to 32 PSI. If the light would stay off? I know you can buy the TPMS for 40 to 50 bucks on ebay/amazon. Or you could even take the old ones off the rims.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts