Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 303 Posts

·
2013 Tacoma
612 Posts
the 2012 Camry se 4cylinder we purchased on March 24 2012 is at the dealer awiating a new transmission and torque converter !Cant believe it ! I wonder if this will become another major recall problem? Anyone else having a similiar problem ??:headbang:
Sorry you're having trouble. But why would you think that one transmission issue would mean "another major recall problem"? Just curious.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Sorry to hear about your tranny...

I just got my SE 4 cyl, last Friday...and with only a 120 miles on it so far, it's all good...excepting:
> Changing from park to reverse OR park to drive, when the car is on a slight hill appears to be pretty hard...i.e the lever is hard to shift and then it goes clunk, however, the driving is all good. I'm thinkin' the tranny oil could be low or something??...weird...but the shift is "almost" smooth & normal on level ground.

Anyone notice this??...I need to go back to the dealer to pick up my registration + state inspection sticker, and will bring it up...but if anyone wants to comment on this...

·
Registered
141 Posts
A lot of automatics do that when the trans is being used to hold the car on the hill. I shift to neutral first and use the parking brake to hold on the hill, then shift to park to avoid it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Sorry to hear about your tranny...

I just got my SE 4 cyl, last Friday...and with only a 120 miles on it so far, it's all good...excepting:
> Changing from park to reverse OR park to drive, when the car is on a slight hill appears to be pretty hard...i.e the lever is hard to shift and then it goes clunk, however, the driving is all good. I'm thinkin' the tranny oil could be low or something??...weird...but the shift is "almost" smooth & normal on level ground.

Anyone notice this??...I need to go back to the dealer to pick up my registration + state inspection sticker, and will bring it up...but if anyone wants to comment on this...
The clunk you are likely hearing is due to the shift sprocket being loaded. the gentleman above explained what to do to limit your concern.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The clunk you are likely hearing is due to the shift sprocket being loaded. the gentleman above explained what to do to limit your concern.
THANK YOU GENTLEMEN..I'll gladly follow your advice.:clap:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Im going in for my 1000 mile check up.. And Im gonna tell them to do the TSB for the shifting ECU update. Ill let you know it it fixes the slow down.. I notices.. When going under 40 it seems the car can coast for a very long time after release of the pedal however after 45 or so.. you release the pedal the car down shifts quite quickly and slows the car down.. Not sure if its a safety feature to help with freeway issues to slow the car down quickly without slamming on the breaks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
They just check all the levels top off anything needed... wash the car inside and out... I guess its just a service they provide.. About a month after you purchase the car. I think is a way for toyota to see if your car is a semi lemon.

·
Registered
554 Posts
TSB list

My dealer made no mention of 1k service ...... 1k must be specific to dealers. I would like to know how your car feels after after the transmission TSB.

In the future it would be nice if we all had a TSB list to review with the Toyota Sevice Dept at our dealerships. My experience with TSBs are if you don't ask or complain about it you don't get it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
In the future it would be nice if we all had a TSB list to review with the Toyota Sevice Dept at our dealerships. My experience with TSBs are if you don't ask or complain about it you don't get it.
if that was the case people would complain about non existant conditions which they do which in turn costs the dealers money. Customers come in a lot with tsb's stating they need there recall done, when there is no issue. TSB do a lot to a persons mind and they sometimes even admit it.

·
Registered
554 Posts
if that was the case people would complain about non existant conditions which they do which in turn costs the dealers money. Customers come in a lot with tsb's stating they need there recall done, when there is no issue. TSB do a lot to a persons mind and they sometimes even admit it.
Agree, but there are more major TSBs (brakes, transmissions, power) that customers may experience but usually don't remember to bring it up. I am suggesting that the knowledge of the TSBs and the content will help you determine if you really experiencing a similar problem.

MyCarStats has a nice overview of recalls, TSB, etc. It's a start in keeping inform on the issues and recalls with any car. TSB details will probably be at charge to see.

Here is a link:

http://mycarstats.com/reports/toyota/camry_hybrid/2012/complaints.aspx

And your right ToyotaForman there are questionable people out there with strange issues and demands... see the only compliant to date on that site.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Agree, but there are more major TSBs (brakes, transmissions, power) that customers may experience but usually don't remember to bring it up. I am suggesting that the knowledge of the TSBs and the content will help you determine if you really experiencing a similar problem.

MyCarStats has a nice overview of recalls, TSB, etc. It's a start in keeping inform on the issues and recalls with any car. TSB details will probably be at charge to see.

Here is a link:

http://mycarstats.com/reports/toyota/camry_hybrid/2012/complaints.aspx

And your right ToyotaForman there are questionable people out there with strange issues and demands... see the only compliant to date on that site.
i've always said to bring it to the dealer, if its covered under the tsb the repair is covered but i can say maybe 30% of the people that bring in tsb's there complaint is really the tsb. whenever a car comes in for service the starting point is to check for known tsb's. When the ecu's were failing on the corolla causing a p2716 code i swear i would see about 5 a month on average seeing the tsb stapled to the back of the RO, majority of the time it was for a faulty maf or o2 sensor...

Also, the concern op is getting repaired...is already a TSB. anyone can always hit me up if you need info

Anyone can run there vehicles vin number on toyota's website for open campaign's or customer support program's (sienna sliding door/rav4 trans concern for ecu)

·
Registered
1 Posts
2012 Camry SE V6 transmission problems

My husband bought his brand new 2012 Camry SE V6 in March and 2 1/2 months later he saw a leak which looked like transmission fluid. He took it in service and they ended up changing the Plug, Transaxle and gasket and still couldn't figure out the issue. Finally, they changed the whole transmission. Also, the alignment was off on a new car and they had to adjust the steering wheel as it was off center. So many problems to begin with. How is this car going to last us for 10+ years? Any suggestion on what we should do? We are planning to file a dispute with Toyota.

·
Registered
400 Posts
My husband bought his brand new 2012 Camry SE V6 in March and 2 1/2 months later he saw a leak which looked like transmission fluid. He took it in service and they ended up changing the Plug, Transaxle and gasket and still couldn't figure out the issue. Finally, they changed the whole transmission. Also, the alignment was off on a new car and they had to adjust the steering wheel as it was off center. So many problems to begin with. How is this car going to last us for 10+ years? Any suggestion on what we should do? We are planning to file a dispute with Toyota.
What do you expect them to do, give you a new car? They fixed what was wrong with the one you have. If you continue to have a problem with the transmission/drivetrain, you can file for lemon law in the future. However I don't think you'll need to.

How will the car last you 10+ years? It's a Toyota.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Is the car fixed? If yes whats the issue. The alignment pops up every now and then with most models. new cars have issues too.

Not to be rude but nowadays i would never purchase a vehicle and expect it to last 10 years unless your wallet includes gold bars. Cars are more of a replaceable item today... why do you think companies are starting to pull there long term powertrain warranties. example...buick

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had my 4 cyl xle for 2 weeks now. I noticed the "shuddering" last week and just tried to take note of when it was happening so I would have a little more information to relay to the mechanic/dealer. It was always on acceleration between 1000 - 1100 rpms... if it was slow to shift up, like if traffic was slow.

I've been looking over the forum for a similiar issue to have some idea what's going on before I take the car in. I'm a not very articulate blonde who gets blown off. I had my big brother buy my car for me in his state because of this. My husband took care of all the car stuff -- I lost him last year, which is why I bought the new car. I don't have him to fix stuff anymore. This is our 5th or 6th Camry but we've never had a 4 cyl before.

Do y'all think this could be related to the service bulletin? 0050-12?

·
Registered
554 Posts
I've had my 4 cyl xle for 2 weeks now. I noticed the "shuddering" last week and just tried to take note of when it was happening so I would have a little more information to relay to the mechanic/dealer. It was always on acceleration between 1000 - 1100 rpms... if it was slow to shift up, like if traffic was slow.

I've been looking over the forum for a similiar issue to have some idea what's going on before I take the car in. I'm a not very articulate blonde who gets blown off. I had my big brother buy my car for me in his state because of this. My husband took care of all the car stuff -- I lost him last year, which is why I bought the new car. I don't have him to fix stuff anymore. This is our 5th or 6th Camry but we've never had a 4 cyl before.

Do y'all think this could be related to the service bulletin? 0050-12?
Here is the search results for this symptom for this forum. Also, there are a couple of post with other links to this problem. I would ask the Service Manager to see if he can apply the fix for this TSB which has some or most of your symptoms.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/search.php?searchid=3777392

Also, this TSB is for 4 cyl cars only as per the service technician I talked to last week. (Which you have)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Downshifting issues

I have a 2012 Camry, SE, 4-cyl, I have been experiencing a noticeable "jerk" when the car downshifts at 35mph and 25mph. I have been advised by the service department that there are no error codes in the system. Luckily in the drive with the technician the car "jerked", so he was able to see first-hand. They have kept the car overnight and are still trying to diagnose where the problem in shifting is from.

21 - 40 of 303 Posts
About this Discussion
302 Replies
98 Participants
lexusman
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing