Toyota Nation Forum banner

41 - 60 of 303 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is this similar to the problem of seemingly sudden downshifting while approaching red lights? Such as described here?

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/310-7th-generation-2012/408057-harsh-shifting-when-gradually-approaching-stop.html
Yes yes and yes!! My 2012 Camry 4-Cyl (4,000miles) is currently getting a new transmission. No error codes were displaying, Toyota first replaced the computer for the transmission and when transmission shifting issued still occurred a new transmission was authorized.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Stephanie,
Ask them about "ECM Calibration Update: Shift Feeling Enhancement (T-SB-0050-12)". It helped me in similar situation.

·
イリジウム
11,571 Posts
The U-series transmissions have been getting these "updates". Compared to the older A-series these are clunkers. Looks like Toyota still haven't gotten it right after a decade. It's too bad.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You are not alone. I just got my Toyota Camry XLE 6 cyl. 2012 back after 9 days in the service department for the same exact problem. My car only has 2500 miles on. Thankfully, Toyota took car of it. Took awile but I love my car again.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My Camry was manufactured 11-11 in Kentucky.
No, not a harsh downshift. I can best describe it as a "shutter" or "vibration" at shift points. The Dealer description of the problem was listed as: Torque Convertor clutch is worn irregular and chatters. The Dealer also applied TSB 0050-12 updated ECU, which did not solve the problem.
I might add my 2007 Camry had a harsh downshift which was corrected by a computer software fix. Perhaps the TSB 0050-12 update to the ECU would correct the harsh downshift?
Hope this helps.
Thanks

My transmission has been chattering and then just last night, the tranny slipped while I was trying to run a yellow . I told the dealer about it and he said to drive it a little more and let the car "get used to the way you drive". My car only has 200 miles on it.

What do yall think?

·
Registered
13 Posts
My transmission has been chattering and then just last night, the tranny slipped while I was trying to run a yellow . I told the dealer about it and he said to drive it a little more and let the car "get used to the way you drive". My car only has 200 miles on it.

What do yall think?
I would drive it for a while longer and see if it does improve or gets worse. Running yellow lights can lead to transmission damage also.;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
the 2012 Camry se 4cylinder we purchased on March 24 2012 is at the dealer awiating a new transmission and torque converter !Cant believe it ! I wonder if this will become another major recall problem? Anyone else having a similiar problem ??:headbang:
I am starting to wonder the same thing. I have a 2012 SE (4cyl) that was built in June of 2012, 4K miles.

When I put the car in gear, it takes a few seconds for the car to realize I am in drive. The car acts as if it is in neutral. I'm thinking about taking it in to have it checked out. what did you find out about your transmission?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm going to make an appointment to have mine looked at. I will follow-up once I get information back from the dealer.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Not to be rude but nowadays i would never purchase a vehicle and expect it to last 10 years unless your wallet includes gold bars.
What? That's exactly the kind of arrogant thinking that led to GM's downfall in the 80's and 90's. If modern Toyotas can't go the distance anymore then there will be no compelling reason to buy them over an American car.

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
The tranny does a lot of juggling between direct drive and converter drive. Running the yellow light may have been in converter mode where the engine speed can rev up a bit.

If the tranny doesn't go into drive right away, wiggle - move the shift lever, the shift gate leaves a lot to be desired, and it is easy to end up somewhere other than where you think you are.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Also,

For all of those having shifting complaints try driving around in sport mode and place the selector in 6th gear and leave it and just drive normal. This will reduce the converter lock and you may be more happy with it.

Remember, everything on this car was designed with fuel economy in mind including how the transmission shifts.:cool:

·
Registered
1 Posts
2012 Camry SE, 4 cyl.

I bought my 2012 Camry just over a month ago. In the last 1400 miles, I have had 8-10 occassions where I have lost all power although the engine has not stalled. Several times this has occured when I was turning across traffic and trying to accelerate. A 3-4 second delay feels like an eternity in the face of on-coming traffic. I just contacted the dealer and have not heard back from them. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

B

·
0 Posts
What? That's exactly the kind of arrogant thinking that led to GM's downfall in the 80's and 90's. If modern Toyotas can't go the distance anymore then there will be no compelling reason to buy them over an American car.
The only cars I have owned where I have gone over 100,000 miles was a Toyota and Honda.

·
Tulsa Tom
26 Posts
Also,

For all of those having shifting complaints try driving around in sport mode and place the selector in 6th gear and leave it and just drive normal. This will reduce the converter lock and you may be more happy with it.

Remember, everything on this car was designed with fuel economy in mind including how the transmission shifts.:cool:
Agree. I keep it in Sport mode 4th running around town stop and go. Mucho mucho better on shifts. ECO is for the highway IMHO.

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
"I bought my 2012 Camry just over a month ago. In the last 1400 miles, I have had 8-10 occassions where I have lost all power although the engine has not stalled. Several times this has occured when I was turning across traffic and trying to accelerate. A 3-4 second delay feels like an eternity in the face of on-coming traffic. I just contacted the dealer and have not heard back from them. Any thoughts will be appreciated."

I had a Saab that would do that only under certain conditions, like not completely warmed up and when the throttle was pushed down sharply. It would not die either, but recovered in 2 steps, a return to normal idle speed, and then proper response to throttle.
I think with emissions compromises and emphasis on fuel economy, the mixture can get to lean so it looses mixture control when the throttle is depressed quickly. Try not to press the throttle so fast, and try using a better grade and/or no ethanol fuel. Non ethanol fuel seems to run smoother and respond better, with no ratty edge to tip-in and acceleration.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, found this site and figured I'd register and post my new 2012 camry problems.
Car has ~3800 miles, 2 months old and makes noise (thump!) when it shifts into 3rd while the engine is cold. It does it every time. Once it warms up, I can't reproduce the noise. Noise seems to come from under the hood on the drivers side. Car has been at the dealer for four days now and they can't (won't?) tell me what is wrong. They told me they don't have access to TSB's on the weekends so they couldn't check. I call them everyday and they give me the run-around and they never call back when they say they will.

The transmission is the most worrisome problem. The other problems inlcude: loose resonator heat shield screws - brought the car back to the dealership twice within 2 hours of purchasing it (what else was left loose?). Two consistent rattles from interior parts on the drivers door and another mystery rattle from under the car or under the dash - could still be the heat shield.

This is my 2nd toyota. The first one was really good...this one is a major disappointment.

I'll post more if anyone is interested to see how this ends up. Hopefully the dealer will do the right thing in the end and somehow erase the regret I feel for buying this car.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hi, makes noise (thump!) when it shifts into 3rd while the engine is cold. It does it every time. Once it warms up, I can't reproduce the noise. .
Mine does the same- only when cold (below freezing) and goes away next time it up shifts into 3'rd. Let us know what you find out. I am not sure if internal or external to transmission.

This car had the transmission re-programmed per the TSB. Is 4cyl SE.

41 - 60 of 303 Posts
About this Discussion
302 Replies
98 Participants
lexusman
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing