Toyota Nation Forum banner

61 - 80 of 303 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine does the same- only when cold (below freezing) and goes away next time it up shifts into 3'rd. Let us know what you find out. I am not sure if internal or external to transmission.

This car had the transmission re-programmed per the TSB. Is 4cyl SE.
Update: ~13k miles. The dealer fixed one of the three rattles, two are still present.

It's summer here now and in the 90's and the thump hasn't been noticeable. the dealer only said "the transmission is performing as designed." They wouldn't acknowledge nor deny there was a noise. One potentially helpful guy at the service dept. told me to bring it in on a friday and leave it overnight for normal service and i could come by in the morning when it was cold and have a tech go with to hear it. When i tried that, i was told there were no techs working on weekends that could do that for me.

I've noticed a new thing the car does: steering wheel giggle. above 45 or 50 mph and above, if I "flip" the steering wheel a small amount really fast, the steering wheel will oscillate indefinitely! the car eventually vears to the left or right, but the steering wheel oscillates at about 5 Hz... and only the steering wheel. The car goes straight or slowly goes to the left or right. It's pretty wierd. I'll have to post on youtube sometime.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Update: ~13k miles. The dealer fixed one of the three rattles, two are still present.

It's summer here now and in the 90's and the thump hasn't been noticeable. the dealer only said "the transmission is performing as designed." They wouldn't acknowledge nor deny there was a noise. One potentially helpful guy at the service dept. told me to bring it in on a friday and leave it overnight for normal service and i could come by in the morning when it was cold and have a tech go with to hear it. When i tried that, i was told there were no techs working on weekends that could do that for me.

I've noticed a new thing the car does: steering wheel giggle. above 45 or 50 mph and above, if I "flip" the steering wheel a small amount really fast, the steering wheel will oscillate indefinitely! the car eventually vears to the left or right, but the steering wheel oscillates at about 5 Hz... and only the steering wheel. The car goes straight or slowly goes to the left or right. It's pretty wierd. I'll have to post on youtube sometime.

i got the same problem man, i drive on the highway everyday to work and when im going about 65-70mph and let go of the steering wheel it always pulls right slighty even though the steering wheel is dead straight.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Toyota camry 2012 transmission went out!!!

I bought my Camry in the end of March of 2012 and about a month ago my car started jumping when going from 1st gear to 2nd. I have taken it to the dealership 3 times and they keep returning it with the same issue. They replaced the transmission and the next morning I drove it to work, and the jumping was still happening. And to make matters worse, itstalled on me on a busy highway without a shoulder! The dealership is saying that Toyota sent them a bad transmission they want to replace it again! Any advice? Im thinking I got sold a lemon! And I am looking into arbitration.:help:

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I would take it back and let them replace it one more time. If it keeps doing the same thing, you should be able to get rid of it under the lemon law. Make sure you have a copy of ANY paperwork related to the issue. Check the lemon law rules for your particular state as they vary from state to state.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had my 4 cyl xle for 2 weeks now. I noticed the "shuddering" last week and just tried to take note of when it was happening so I would have a little more information to relay to the mechanic/dealer. It was always on acceleration between 1000 - 1100 rpms... if it was slow to shift up, like if traffic was slow.

I've been looking over the forum for a similiar issue to have some idea what's going on before I take the car in. I'm a not very articulate blonde who gets blown off. I had my big brother buy my car for me in his state because of this. My husband took care of all the car stuff -- I lost him last year, which is why I bought the new car. I don't have him to fix stuff anymore. This is our 5th or 6th Camry but we've never had a 4 cyl before.

Do y'all think this could be related to the service bulletin? 0050-12?

I am having the exact same problem, has this problem been repaired?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Bummer to hear on a 2012. Our 2008 2.4l is now experiencing trans issues aswell with 113k on it . We are not going to put money into it instead we are trading it in or will try to sell it locally to someone who will be interested in fixing it.

Our check engine light came on and it shifts a little funky into 2nd gear . It's just starting to do it .

G

·
0 Posts
2012 Camry I4 shifting in cold

I have a 2012 Camry 4-cylinder that when cold, shifts so hard at about 30mph that it feels like something is going to snap and break. The car is gradually accelerated along country roads to get up to speed and when coasting down the same hill every day in cold weather this happens. I have an extended warranty for this car but am crossing my fingers that nothing will happen. Does anyone know why it needs to slam into the next gear so hard just from coasting down a hill? The local Toyota dealer suggests running the car for up to 20min. before driving in the cold which equates to letting the car idle in excess of 3hours per week to get the transmission fluid warmed up? This is my experience and if there is a professional opinion of what I am experiencing, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey All,

Sorry to rehash a old thread.
I recently purchased a used 2012 Camry SE with 24k miles on it.
I've put about 1700miles on it already but I have been noticing some concerning issues.

I am noticing that in the morning, (cold starts, I warm up the car in the am for about 5min before driving) at first the tranny seems to shift pretty rough. Its not smooth and seems to jerk the car a bit, but once its warmed up, about 10 mins of driving the tranny shifts smooth.

However, I notice that the tranny shift pretty fast, In little to no time I am already in 6th gear cruising at 30-40MPH. Seems to lose the power band pretty fast when it shifts like this.

I haven't looked into the TSB that was mentioned here regarding the ECU update. I need to find out of it was completed on the model I have. The car I have was manufactured in 04/12.

Anyone else have this issue even after 25k miles?
Any other concerns I should be look at.

The good thing is that the car was a Toyota certified used, So the warranty was extended to 7yr / 100k miles on the power train. Which expires in 05/19. But I would like to fix any issues now so I don't have to worry about it later down the line.

Thanks in advance

·
It's Official
9,215 Posts
I have had those issues you are describing since mile 15, day one of ownership!

And no need to apologize, I'd rather you revive an old one than create another on the same topic! Thanks for using the search function! :thanks:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had those issues you are describing since mile 15, day one of ownership!

And no need to apologize, I'd rather you revive an old one than create another on the same topic! Thanks for using the search function! :thanks:
Thanks! While you're here. So is this normal? Or something I should have looked at?? Luckly I know quite a few ppl that work at Longo Toyota (local dealership). So if I need to bring it in, its not a issue. But ifs there was no resolution to this what are you guys doing to prevent it or how about long term damage?

The car drives great (other than noted issue) and i've been enjoying it the last month or so. Esp coming from my gas guzzling Tundra. Never really had issues with Toyota's before, still have my solara even after 200K miles and still running strong.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think you still need to figure out if the TSB was applied to your car or not. It made a difference for my Camry 2012 SE 4-cyl. It has started shifting much smoother after TSB. I cannot says if it is now smoother than yours since it is very subjective. I would agree that it shifts better after it is warmed up but I cannot say that it is very bad on cold. Since I'm in California, I don't wait much before driving (about 20-30 sec maybe in the morning). I am at 34k. I don't have problems with transmission so far.

·
It's Official
9,215 Posts
Its normal. About the only thing you can do is have the TSB update done if your Camry is apart of it, or maybe pull the negative battery terminal for 10 minutes to reset the learned driving habits of the previous owner.

FYI - my 2012 was not covered by the TSB for Trans Shift Feeling Enhancement. The software for my trans was actually even more updated than the software version the TSB puts in as a fix.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Transmission 2012 LE

I've been having problems with the transmission since day one. Had a torque convertor replaced in May 2012. (Bought the car on 3-31-12).
Now the car revs to 5800rpms in 1st gear moving slowly forward, slams into 2nd gear at 3800rpms, and the third shift is also harsh. After this happens, it seems to shift OK. This happens maybe once or twice a week.
Had it into the Dealer twice for several days and they could not duplicate the problem.
I don't believe this is normal. Not sure what to do at this point, as I feel this is dangerous when moving from a stop into traffic.
I'll probably get rid of the car if Toyota won't recognize the problem.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I've been having problems with the transmission since day one. Had a torque convertor replaced in May 2012. (Bought the car on 3-31-12).
Now the car revs to 5800rpms in 1st gear moving slowly forward, slams into 2nd gear at 3800rpms, and the third shift is also harsh. After this happens, it seems to shift OK. This happens maybe once or twice a week.
Had it into the Dealer twice for several days and they could not duplicate the problem.
I don't believe this is normal. Not sure what to do at this point, as I feel this is dangerous when moving from a stop into traffic.
I'll probably get rid of the car if Toyota won't recognize the problem.
The transmission shifting as described above (hurridly shifting to 5th gear by 35 MPH, slowing acceleration to a crawl unless your really stomp on it) has always been one of my major annoyances about this car, but what you're describing is a transmission on its way out entirely - that's no software glitch.

If you can duplicate it with any consistency, figure out what it takes to make it do that and take a technician for a ride with you. If not...you've wasted your time already; you can wait til it blows up under warranty and say "see, I told you so"...or get rid of the car entirely.

·
Registered
122 Posts
haha i do the same thing sounds so ugly when u have to pull it out of park like that !!!
A lot of automatics do that when the trans is being used to hold the car on the hill. I shift to neutral first and use the parking brake to hold on the hill, then shift to park to avoid it.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I am noticing that in the morning, (cold starts, I warm up the car in the am for about 5min before driving) at first the tranny seems to shift pretty rough. Its not smooth and seems to jerk the car a bit, but once its warmed up, about 10 mins of driving the tranny shifts smooth.

However, I notice that the tranny shift pretty fast, In little to no time I am already in 6th gear cruising at 30-40MPH. Seems to lose the power band pretty fast when it shifts like this.
I had the TSB done because-
Harsh shifts when cold- was slightly better after the TSB.
Shifted to quickly out of gear going up a steady climb only to have to shift back down again just to make it to the top- TSB fixed this problem.

The shift points are more predictable and consistent after the TSB. Prior to TSB car seamed to shift more often. Is now shifting faster through the gears putting you into a higher gear sooner but does not down shift as quickly.

Car does seam to lug more in gear when accelerating slowly at low engine RPM's as opposed to down shifting. I am OK with this but others may not be.

Overall I think the TSB had a positive affect.

SE with 4 cylinder

·
Registered
7 Posts
2102 Transmission issues

I took my 2012 Camry back to the Dealer for the 3rd. time, and told them to keep it until it does what I complained about on my post of 2-4-14. Dealer called on 2-17 stating my problem did occur for them. They "adjusted the fluid" which was 1 3/4 quarts low! They also tightened a hose clamp. Said it runs fine.
I asked the service person if the Dealer replaced the torque converter on
5-9-2013, or if the work was done somewhere else. His answer was "we probably did it here." I asked how much damage to the transmission was done because of the low fluid? He didn't know. In other words, it appears someone didn't tighten a clamp when the torque converter was replaced. Also mentioned this should have been caught on oil changes and routine service.
We'll see what happens. I have a 7 year warranty on the car.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I asked how much damage to the transmission was done because of the low fluid? He didn't know.
1 3/4 quarts low is ALOT. Even 1/2 quart low will make the transmission run hotter than normal and cause fuel economy is decrease because of increased torque converter slippage. To save money, and weight, corporate Toyota eliminated the transmission oil dipstick and so now owners can't check the fluid level themselves and even mechanics have a hard time judging the fluid level.

·
It's Official
9,215 Posts
I took my 2012 Camry back to the Dealer for the 3rd. time, and told them to keep it until it does what I complained about on my post of 2-4-14. Dealer called on 2-17 stating my problem did occur for them. They "adjusted the fluid" which was 1 3/4 quarts low! They also tightened a hose clamp. Said it runs fine.
I asked the service person if the Dealer replaced the torque converter on
5-9-2013, or if the work was done somewhere else. His answer was "we probably did it here." I asked how much damage to the transmission was done because of the low fluid? He didn't know. In other words, it appears someone didn't tighten a clamp when the torque converter was replaced. Also mentioned this should have been caught on oil changes and routine service.
We'll see what happens. I have a 7 year warranty on the car.
Document all this in case your trans fails out of warranty. You have a leg to stand on if that happens in my opinion.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hey All,

Sorry to rehash a old thread.
I recently purchased a used 2012 Camry SE with 24k miles on it.
I've put about 1700miles on it already but I have been noticing some concerning issues.

I haven't looked into the TSB that was mentioned here regarding the ECU update. I need to find out of it was completed on the model I have. The car I have was manufactured in 04/12.

Anyone else have this issue even after 25k miles?
Any other concerns I should be look at.

The good thing is that the car was a Toyota certified used, So the warranty was extended to 7yr / 100k miles on the power train. Which expires in 05/19. But I would like to fix any issues now so I don't have to worry about it later down the line.

Thanks in advance
I find, that the jerky (rough) shift happens only during light acceleration from 2nd to 3rd gear. It will sometimes go away when the engine is warm, but always happen when engine is cold. Toyota wants $2000 to replace the Torque converter, but i'm not completely convinced that's the real problem and I'm not going to pay for them to experiment on my vehicle. The problem occur shortly after the car's warranty expired, and they're going to hide behind that fact.

The good news is, the car now has 140,000km (problem started at around 100,000km) and the problem has not gotten worst. So, I can live with a bad transmission shift from 2nd to 3rd if it's not going to cost me money down the line.

61 - 80 of 303 Posts
About this Discussion
302 Replies
98 Participants
lexusman
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing