Toyota Nation Forum banner

121 - 140 of 303 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Torque Converter Is Being Replaced

I bought my 2012 4cyl Camry SE in February 2012, and it recently started vibrating/shaking when it switches gears. It has 50,000 miles on it. The dealership is ordering the torque converter (which they said is a new part for my car) and I will have it fixed soon. I also had issues with a consistent crack in the plastic surrounding my stereo screen, which after being replaced 3 times never was resolved. The new parts kept cracking, so they stopped replacing it. I am dissappointed as I have driven a '91 & '97 Camry before the 2012 Camry. Things are not made like they used to be.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have also had poor experiences with the dealership I take my 2012 camry too, but they at least give me a rental car for free. Mine has been vibrating at around 45mph too for over a year, and I did take it to the dealership multiple times complaining of the vibrating issue when switching gears, but they kept saying nothing was wrong. Now for some reason they are going to fix it. I guess they saw the service bulletin you were referring to. lol.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Getting a new torque converter after only 49,000 miles!

I also have owned multiple Camry's over the years, but this is the first time I've been confronted with a major transmission issue (2012 Camry).
At 40,000 miles, I brought to the attention of the dealer a vibration that I noticed about 38-44 mph. It would go away when I took my foot off the accelerator pedal. The dealer told me that nothing was wrong. Just before my 50,000 mile check, I started to get a hesitation when shifting from 1-2 or 2-3. At first, the dealer thought it might respond to the 2012 bulletin upgrade. After that was installed, I was told that the problem was solved. No sooner had I driven the vehicle away from the dealership (I still hadn't left the parking lot!) when the hesitation occurred again at 1-2!
I returned my car, and now I'm being told that I need a new torque converter.
I'm astonished that this has happened. Fortunately, it's still covered under warranty, but I don't think I will buy another Camry after this one. I'm also experiencing some difficulties opening my sun roof. The button only works when I push it in a certain direction.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2012 Camry SE Torque Convertor

64,000 miles torque convertor bad no help with bill $2179.00 service rep said it is a major issue with this model, I am a very unhappy Toyota customer

·
Registered
2 Posts
Write to Toyota main headquarters

I think that if this problem occurs immediately beyond the warranty period, you would stand a chance to have Toyota help you with the expense by writing to their customer loyalty department at main headquarters. I have had good fortune going this route before with previous Toyotas (my wife needed a new catalytic converter at 110,000 costing $1800, but after writing a letter, Toyota offered to pay half!).

·
Registered
943 Posts
64,000 miles torque convertor bad no help with bill $2179.00 service rep said it is a major issue with this model, I am a very unhappy Toyota customer

No offense, but I think if this was a major issue with this model, there would be people all over this thread and everywhere on the Internet talking about it. Toyota has sold somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.2 million gen 7 camrys and probably even more now. I haven't gone back and checked through this thread but let's say that there are 20 people that have had a new transmission in this thread. Given that some people won't go looking online to state that there's is messed up like you did lets just multiply that by 1000. That's 20000 that sounds like a lot but that's around a tenth of a percent of cars that they have sold have a problem. There probably aren't even that many. cars are man made and are going to fail at times. I think if there were a major issues with this engine transmission combo that toyota wouldn't put it in at least 4 of its vehicles. Hate that your car had problems. Hopefully it's fixed and welcome to the forums!

·
It's Official
9,215 Posts
I bought my 2012 4cyl Camry SE in February 2012, and it recently started vibrating/shaking when it switches gears. It has 50,000 miles on it. The dealership is ordering the torque converter (which they said is a new part for my car) and I will have it fixed soon. I also had issues with a consistent crack in the plastic surrounding my stereo screen, which after being replaced 3 times never was resolved. The new parts kept cracking, so they stopped replacing it. I am dissappointed as I have driven a '91 & '97 Camry before the 2012 Camry. Things are not made like they used to be.
My advice: get the plastic fixed for a 4th time, and take it straight to a dealer and dump it before it can break again. Once the new torque converter is there so it drives alright.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I also have owned multiple Camry's over the years, but this is the first time I've been confronted with a major transmission issue (2012 Camry).
At 40,000 miles, I brought to the attention of the dealer a vibration that I noticed about 38-44 mph. It would go away when I took my foot off the accelerator pedal. The dealer told me that nothing was wrong. Just before my 50,000 mile check, I started to get a hesitation when shifting from 1-2 or 2-3. At first, the dealer thought it might respond to the 2012 bulletin upgrade. After that was installed, I was told that the problem was solved. No sooner had I driven the vehicle away from the dealership (I still hadn't left the parking lot!) when the hesitation occurred again at 1-2!
I returned my car, and now I'm being told that I need a new torque converter.
I'm astonished that this has happened. Fortunately, it's still covered under warranty, but I don't think I will buy another Camry after this one. I'm also experiencing some difficulties opening my sun roof. The button only works when I push it in a certain direction.
I have exactly the same problem, when I drive at the speed of 60km/h to 70km/h the car vibrates and jerk. I hope this is cover under powertrain. Does it include powertrain warranty?

another issue that a lot of camry 2012 owner has, is the sunroof, I can tilt it up and I can never get it down unless I press more then 100 times and pray for closing.

I have a friend is starting to have the same sunroof issue like mine, it is starting, he has to press 3 to 4 times to make it close. I called toyota, they said they never heard of this kind of an issue in Canada and the Torque converter issue.

I think this will be last Toyota I will buy in my life.

is only 2 years old and I had so many problem with the car............

·
Registered
20 Posts
just a small update on my case. Went to Dealer and they tested it rattles. They will change the torque converter. Luckily the powertrain I'm still under warranty:grin:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm having slight trans. issues.

Hi, new Camry owner here. Just bought a CPO 2012 Camry SE from my local dealer. I'm noticing a little slippage between 2nd & 3rd (RPMs rev up a split second before it finds the gear) gear when I'm in manual mode. Auto mode does pretty good. I don't use manual mode so it doesn't upset me too much but is this something I should be worried about ? Should I take it in to get looked at ? Is this something that get worse in the future and cause more problems. Thanks for any help.

·
It's Official
9,215 Posts
My mom's 2013 RAV did that. It was worrisome. Not bad, she never noticed it, but I did a few times. Hopefully her 2014 doesn't eventually get it. Her 2013 didn't even have 5k miles.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
It's been fine for awhile but starting to notice some weirdness at light throttle, when I have to get off it and get back on quick, like in rush hour traffic. Kind of a hesitation/jerk. Normal I guess but getting near 30,000 and need a rear view mirror fixed (glass is slipping to the left every time I fold it) so I'll ask the dealer next time I take it in.

That's BS. Warranty or not it's just out of warranty and had Toyota cared they would have done something to help like split the cost. Companies forget now that it costs 4x as much to get a new customer as to keep an old one, and you'd be on here about how Toyota helped you out when they had no legal obligation to and not saying they left you hanging. Crap like that is why I got rid of my Ford but I guess they are all that way now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
anyone have any comments on my issue a couple posts up ?
are you cruising around 35 to 40 mph/h and when you start to step on the gas a bit and the cars vibrate?
if yes, you need to change the torque converter.

I had my change just got my car yesterday, I felt a huge different and my car is not sluggish. when I had that issue, my car is very sluggish and even you step on it, it won't accelerate fast.

I went 2 dealership, the first one told me has no issue (whole bunch of liars) and the second one I told the advisor that I want to go with the technician. I set beside him and told him to cruise at 60km/h (around 40mph/h) and asked him to accelerate a bit and my car vibrate. He noticed the problem and change the torque converter.
my car is still under warranty 90000 km. Because this is a powertrain issue so is 5 years 100000 km.

hope my info helps

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just took mine in yesterday they first said it was a recall that a software update would fix ...now they are replacing the torque converter..I took it in due to a shudder at between 1100 and 1300 rpms every time I drove it. They have told me its complete covered under recall/warranty...hope so..pray it doesn't need a new transmission too...on 34000 miles

·
Registered
20 Posts
just a small update on my case. Went to Dealer and they tested it rattles. They will change the torque converter. Luckily the powertrain I'm still under warranty:grin:
another update from my car, the Torque converter is changed the car runs great for the first 3 weeks and now there's another issue. The weather is getting cold now...... it happened in the weekend, I noticed something wrong already after I start the car in the morning and drive slowly the RPM went up to 4500 and not changing gear, I was like oh well.... when I turned to the big road that is 70km/h I turned right try to accelerate the RPM reached to 6000 and not changing gear and the car is right behind me and I had to go to the shoulder, waited a little and start driving everything is back to normal. The next day when I start the car samething happened. I called Toyota reported the issue since I almost got into an accident of this.

I dropped off in the dealership and they will investigate and replicate the issue.........

oh man.......... the main purpose of buying a Camry because is reliable........ but 2 years that I had the car so far it only brings problem after problem and problem...................

·
Registered
1 Posts
2012 Camry LE with 14,000+ miles. Cold start on 95 Camry used bog down engine until car was warmed up to get engine to warm up faster. I totally understand this. The 2012 Camry started lurching and bucking like a wild amusement park ride. Also had an issue with the canister pump quitting which almost left me stranded. I loved the 95 but after the problems with this one I think it's time to move on from Toyota.

·
2012 Camry SE
2 Posts
2012 Camry SE owner. I just had my Camry towed to the dealership. I have 41K miles on it. This morning, my car would not move when I put it in Reverse. I heard a pop when I stepped on the accelerator. The dealership can't look at it until Wednesday. I'll report back on what is discovered. I would appreciate any insight someone might have on this.

Thank you
Rikki

·
It's Official
9,215 Posts
^sounds like something's broke!

In al seriousness, I hope they get it fixed for you and thank goodness it is under warranty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
2012 Camry XLE. When i punch it into overdrive to pass someone, engine continues racing an extra second or two when I release accelerator. No big deal, but does not feel right. No other problems so far. Only 18k miles. I dont know if any recall work was done on this car.

121 - 140 of 303 Posts
About this Discussion
302 Replies
98 Participants
lexusman
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing