Toyota Nation Forum banner

161 - 180 of 303 Posts

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,413 Posts
Darn right! There is a group of probably tens of thousands shuddering Camrys out there and it is real. I've read about everything Sump and other owners have posted and they have done major research. This is big!
...tens of thousands...
According to my local dealer they haven't seen even a single Camry with failed TC yet. They are updating soft, but haven't filed a single warranty claim yet.
I know 7 people that own 2010-2014.5 Camry (+ 2 of mine cars) and none of them experienced shudder and at least 3 of them + me not even planning to update TC software.
Are we all just lucky?

·
Less Viscous Than Others
421 Posts
Toyota dealer installed a new torque converter ......Camry is now exhibiting transmission slippage problems when I start the engine first thing in the morning..... Any comments on how to deal with issue would be appreciated.
They under filled your transmission. Based on the fact that I called 10 dealerships across the nation personally to see how they do fluid fill checks on the U760E transmission in our Camry's...... only 1 of ten knew how. Attached is the actual method they are to use on a hot car... and what car isnt hot? That's the problem Toyota encountered, the dealers were using the overflow tube leveling method which is to be done at a relatively modest temperature of around 113F.

The method in this link with the large Rube Goldberg device is what the dealer is SUPPOSED to have purchased and be USING. But they arent. If you print this and they have no clue what you are showing them.... you got a problem. This instruction set (which is called a TSB in the industry) came out over an year and a half ago.

LINK >>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/oatjuqxmrpvenad/NEW - Toyota U760E Transmission ATF Level Check.pdf?dl=0

I don't mean to sound like a jerk by saying this... i really do hate to hear that they did this to you... but, thank you for being on the cutting edge of the growing crop of people getting the dealers to learn how to do this properly , because they aren't and there's alot more transmission which are quietly slipping on the owners who "dont know any different" because the shudder was from day of purchase onward.... until failure.

·
Less Viscous Than Others
421 Posts
...tens of thousands...
According to my local dealer they haven't seen even a single Camry with failed TC yet. They are updating soft, but haven't filed a single warranty claim yet.
I know 7 people that own 2010-2014.5 Camry (+ 2 of mine cars) and none of them experienced shudder and at least 3 of them + me not even planning to update TC software.
Are we all just lucky?
Yes lucky, and you are in a notably mild climate. I encountered most of my contacts at dealers and owners who were experiencing shudder in climates with climates that are notably more difficult on fluids and machinery. AKA North of Missouri.
The service manager in Colorado had several on his plate and up here in the midwest I have 4 current Camry owners at my employment with the shudder in 2011-2014.5 Camrys.

·
Less Viscous Than Others
421 Posts
Get a load of this truth that has come our in regards to HOW they are actually DOING the replacements....

But, knowing a manager in one of the places that makes the TC, they made a change in the vanes starting about a year or so ago. I do NOT know if it was in composition, construction, or both..
This is BIG, thanks for sharing

The 4 magnets (I am guessing!!) is to help grab a lot more left over crap. Of course, if you believe the service writer I encountered, "what magnets? We pop the old one (TC) out, replace it, and refill it. We don't take off the pan."
I think your guess is spot on. More magnets to mop up their mistake.

And thanks for sharing a sample of the shabby workmanship and preparedness between Toyota and the dealers. I have a feeling dealers ignore a lot of the documents that come across their edesk from Toyota.
Again, one out of ten I called even know how to fill the tranny properly. Now here's an example where they aren't even draining and cleaning it! Thanks for sharing... we are getting some truth on this finally.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,413 Posts
Yes lucky, and you are in a notably mild climate. I encountered most of my contacts at dealers and owners who were experiencing shudder in climates with climates that are notably more difficult on fluids and machinery. AKA North of Missouri.
The service manager in Colorado had several on his plate and up here in the midwest I have 4 current Camry owners at my employment with the shudder in 2011-2014.5 Camrys.
I'm and two more ppl are in TX, but the rest of them in CT, MA and RI.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I'm and two more ppl are in TX, but the rest of them in CT, MA and RI.
The deal is these 6-speed transmissions (prior to 2015) are generating so much wear debris that the usual 2 or 3 magnets the Aisin transmission company has installed in the pans over the years is insufficient. 4 magnets are now needed and even those need cleaning after about 60,000 miles.

This high level of wear debris means these 6 speed transmissions won't live as long as the Aisin 3, 4 and 5 speeds typically did in the past. Hopefully the 2015 6-speeds will be durable because they have both the updated shift programming that prevents lugging in 6th gear and the updated torque converter design.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,413 Posts
The deal is these 6-speed transmissions (prior to 2015) are generating so much wear debris that the usual 2 or 3 magnets the Aisin transmission company has installed in the pans over the years is insufficient. 4 magnets are now needed and even those need cleaning after about 60,000 miles.

This high level of wear debris means these 6 speed transmissions won't live as long as the Aisin 3, 4 and 5 speeds typically did in the past. Hopefully the 2015 6-speeds will be durable because they have both the updated shift programming that prevents lugging in 6th gear and the updated torque converter design.
Maybe so, but there are plenty of 2010-11 Camrys (that equipped with an identical 6AT) with 100K + miles and Google and TN search shows very few issues with these 6AT.
IMHO after dealing with famous "pedal" issue, Toyota CEOs are afraid of their own shadows and willing to issue a bunch of recalls and TSBs just so they don't have to deal with congress and NHTSA again and TC shudder is one of these "lets play safe" issues. A few 100's or 1000's of faulty TC-very possible, an epidemic "everyone will get it" TC failure- nope.

·
Less Viscous Than Others
421 Posts
The problem of shudder has bitten Toyota in pickups and other cars also , so it's not that isolated. It would be safe to say that they have had torque converter design and shudder problems over at least the last 8 years.

That's becoming ..... a trend. Why is nobody putting this together to see the big picture?

But, knowing a manager in one of the places that makes the TC, they made a change in the vanes starting about a year or so ago. I do NOT know if it was in composition, construction, or both..
Now here's a Gen 6 TSB - 2008..... 7 YEARS AGO "changes to the Torque Converter"

Now here's an FJ shudder....

And more FJ....

And 4 RUNNER....

And 4 RUNNER....

·
Registered
943 Posts
Everytime I come back to this thread I can't help but think. THE SKY IS FALLING. THE SKY IS FALLING!!! Lol. I seriously don't think it's a super wide spread thing here. Who knows I may get it but so far in 25k miles I have no shudder on my 2014.5. My friend has a 2012 with 35k miles with no shudder. I plan on getting my fluid flushed every 40k miles I may get them to drop the pan at 80k miles and check the magnets just to be sure....

If you are afraid your toyotas transmission is going to blow up, go look at nissan, Honda, Volkswagen, Chevy, ford, etc.... They all have their problems and most have even worse problems then a small percentage of TC problems.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Everytime I come back to this thread I can't help but think. THE SKY IS FALLING. THE SKY IS FALLING!!! Lol. I seriously don't think it's a super wide spread thing here. Who knows I may get it but so far in 25k miles I have no shudder on my 2014.5. My friend has a 2012 with 35k miles with no shudder. I plan on getting my fluid flushed every 40k miles I may get them to drop the pan at 80k miles and check the magnets just to be sure....

If you are afraid your toyotas transmission is going to blow up, go look at nissan, Honda, Volkswagen, Chevy, ford, etc.... They all have their problems and most have even worse problems then a small percentage of TC problems.
You are a man of reason.

·
Less Viscous Than Others
421 Posts
You are a man of reason.
You bet, declare a proven problem with actual corporate TSB over 8 years ...to be an apparition by comparing to someone else's folleys as 'worse'.

7th graders say , "yeah but he was way naughtier than me". Or "everybody was doing it"

C'mon guys. Every time I check this thread I get this sense, "THERES NO PLACE LIKE HOME , THERES NO PLACE LIKE HOME"

·
Registered
943 Posts
Well, give me around a year and a half and I'll see what the magnets are showing at 80k miles. I'll already have my fluid flushed twice by then which I was already planning anyway before I read any of this thread, just seems like common sense to me. Meanwhile I'll continue driving it. It doesn't scare me to drive my car, if the TC goes out it goes out. Nothin I can do about it especially with no s/s of failures at this moment. I don't worry now at 26 if I am going to get cancer when I am older. If it happened it happens, try to do some prevention but don't let it rule your life.

Edit: well that will be my second time having it flushed. Haven't had my coffee yet this morning.

·
It's Official
9,215 Posts
tpence2177 said:
I won't comment on how widespread the issue is because I honestly have no idea.

But, I will comment on the Nissan comment. I had a Nissan Altima SER for a short period of time. After joined the forums, I knew I made a bad choice in car buying. Every other thread is about the SER Auto transmissions toast at 100-120k miles, or burning tons of oil because of bits of pre-cats being sucked into the motor during back pressure. Nissans are huge P.O.S. Huge, widespread issue and Nissan didn't do anything about it. From then on I joined forums to research vehicles prior to me purchasing them. :)

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
We bought a Toyota hoping that the drivetrain would be solid after having auto transmission issues with an Accord. Honda's well-known for auto transmission issues, but I thought "well, my best transmissions have been Aisins; this one should be solid".

Apparently, nope. Between timing chain/cam gear and suspension shenanigans and the torque converter taking out the transmission completely...it was "good riddance" to the Camry.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Between timing chain/cam gear and suspension shenanigans and the torque converter taking out the transmission completely...it was "good riddance" to the Camry.
The 2015 Camry's, however, should be troublefree given that the engine/transmission/suspension/steering/weaknesses of the 2012-14 models have been fixed.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
The 2015 Camry's, however, should be troublefree given that the engine/transmission/suspension/steering/weaknesses of the 2012-14 models have been fixed.
Maybe, but doubtful, especially since some with the '15s are still seeing shudder issues. The 2012's should have been "fixed", seeing as the engine/transmission has been around since 2009 and entire platform since 2002.

Toyota usually doesn't bother to tweak their engineering much.

·
Registered
862 Posts
To be clear I am not trying to pick a fight with you. 2015 I4-6AT does go below 1500 RPM just like my 2014 I4-6AT and you keep saying that everything is different on 2015 model but I don't see it. Go and test drive 2015, the RPM will be around 1100-1300 when going between 40-50 MPH. SW update does not prevent the RPM from going down to 1100-1300 when traveling between 40-50MPH. 2012-2014.5 models are not broke as some of them got TC issues. I will suspect some of 2015 will have TC issues too.

·
Do it Right, Make it Last
50 Posts
The 2012's should have been "fixed", seeing as the engine/transmission has been around since 2009 and entire platform since 2002. Toyota usually doesn't bother to tweak their engineering much.

You got that right.... Shudder TSBs

3 SHUDDER TSBs in 7 YEARS!

TSB-0061-08 - 5/13/08 - Torque Converter Shudder --- "Throw new Fluid at the Problem, Tell'em we made a change"

Some 2007-2009 Customers may be concerned about an intermittent shudder when lightly accelerating after an upshift. Production changes to the torque converter assembly have been implemented to improve this condition. Refer to the repair procedure below for diagnostic instructions to confirm if the torque converter needs to be replaced to address customer concerns.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TSB-0086-12 June 11, 2012 Torque Converter Shudder ---"Throw New Fluid and tell'em AGAIN that we made a design Change" ------ LINK>>>https://www.dropbox.com/s/njysshzrbfevlbw/2012 Camry Shudder TSB0086-12.pdf?dl=0

Some 2012 Camry vehicles may exhibit an intermittent shudder when lightly accelerating after an upshift.
Changes have been made in the torque converter assembly to reduce this condition.
Refer to the repair procedure below for diagnostic instructions to confirm if the torque converter
needs to be replaced to address this condition.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TSB-0034-14 Torque Converter Flex Lock - up Shudder ---"Throw a Computer Update and MAGNETS at it and Replace the TC if darn Customer complains more" ---- LINK >>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/r7h641kbs034jnu/Torque%20Converter%20Shudder%20TSB.pdf?dl=0

Note how they don't even write a description anymore...just the SAME OLD SHUDDER. But now the owners know more.. they know about the design that hadn't changed until perhaps this LATEST time. They know that the fluid is loading with the shards of this shuddering and they want to change it...and they know (as several posters on Toyota Nation have mentioned that the unites are coming out of dealers under filled because the dealers don't even follow procedures.

161 - 180 of 303 Posts
About this Discussion
302 Replies
98 Participants
lexusman
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing