·
Registered
1,964 Posts

·
straight cash homie
19,926 Posts
2012 Camry information?

As taken from VW Vortex's The Car Lounge:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5287862-2012-Camry-Sink-or-swim-(Preliminary-information-leaked)&
As some of you guys know, I'm an auto industry geek and I love specs and stats and sales charts. Every once in awhile I come across something that's actually news. Today I found some preliminary specs about TCL's most hated car, the new Camry. They are on the public Internet in an obscure place, which I'm not going to link here because I don't think they are supposed to be out there yet, and I don't want Toyota to have them removed and cut off one of my future product information sources!

Here are the main tidbits (I do not have complete spec/option/pricing sheets or anything like that, just some scattered data. And, I would say this source has about a 75% chance of being accurate, so don't bet your life on this):

- All manual transmissions discontinued
- V6 LE model discontinued
- Models are L, LE, SE, V6 SE, XLE, V6 XLE
- No data on the Hybrid yet
- All XLE now have 17" wheels (up from 16")
- V6 SE now have 18" wheels (up from 17")
- Entune (My Ford Touch competitor) available on all XLE and SE
- Power seats now optional on LE (were standard)

So, let's talk a little about the future of the Camry and whether its leadership days are numbered. Back in the '70s and '80s, the Oldsmobile Cutlass family seemed like the unstoppable king of midsized cars. Within about 20 years, it went from king of the hill to discontinued. So, although the Camry has been on top, or near it, for over a decade, nothing is assured in this business.

TCL hate aside, feedback from people who would actually drive a Camry seems to suggest that the main problem with the current one is everything about the interior: features, materials, design, fit-and-finish. So, I would hope that's where they will focus, and it's hard to tell that from a list of specs (I have no photos, as far as I know none exist yet). It does seem like the L (formerly just "standard Camry") and LE models have not really been up-contented, and in fact may have been decontented if the removal of the power seat from the LE is accurate. Adding the Entune system to the higher models should at least make them competitive with other loaded midsizers, though that system is not out yet, so nobody knows how it will compare to the troublesome My Ford Touch.

The current Camry powertrains are actually quite good, and it appears those carry over (no concrete info on that though). If they can get interior quality, features and appearance up to a level competitive with the up-and-coming models like the Sonata, Fusion and 2013 Malibu, they shouldn't have too much trouble holding onto the sales lead, or at least not being handed their...rear bumper...on a platter But if this is just another incremental update and it continues to be bland but lack the traditional Toyota materials quality, they may have more problems than just the earthquake to worry about...

-Andrew L
No manual transmission?...meh, MOST (not the few we have here) Camry buyers won't bother. :D

·
Need For Speed
2011 Camry SE
10,765 Posts
I had a feeling.....
Fine by me. I'm happy knowing I will have one of the last manual transmission Camrys out there :D

My question is, where is he getting his info from? An actual credible source, or just from wherever? This car hasn't been introduced yet, so I'm still a bit wary of this.

·
Need For Speed
2011 Camry SE
10,765 Posts
Another note....I was just reading through the comments on that site, and a member there said they knew that the Gen 7 Camry was coming with a manual transmission because someone on Toyota Nation said it was. :confused: Hmmm. Not sure where they got their info on that one...

·
2013 Tacoma
2010 Yaris 4-Door LB
612 Posts
I had heard rumors of not only a 6 speed manual tranny, but maybe even a 190hp 2.7L engine in the SE.

We'll see...I guess.

·
Need For Speed
2011 Camry SE
10,765 Posts
Like I've always said, and I'll keep saying, it's all speculation until Toyota releases the OFFICIAL information. Until then, rumors are going to fly like mad.

·
CRESSIDA!!!
1984 Toyota Cressida
5,630 Posts
I have a hard time believing they'll get rid of the LE V6. That basically means you have to get an XLE if you want a V6 & don't want the sportier looks/firmer ride of the SE.

Also, Camry L? Da fuck is that, the Camry Loser trim? Just bring back the CE, which always comes and goes anyway.

I would also like to know where he's getting this from. And I really hope they don't can the manuals.

·
Registered
1986 Toyota Cressida
4,512 Posts
Considering how many of the midsize sedans are nearly overwhelmingly automatic its no surprise to find they're losing it. The only cars in this segment left that have a perhaps still viable manual transmission buying base is the Honda Accord and the Mazda6. Even the Toyota Corolla is probably going to follow this route in the future, they were more common in the older cars because of fuel economy but now that automatics these days are more fuel efficient a manual Corolla's days look numbered.

The only cars I know with a big manual tranny buying base left are sports cars obviously(although dual clutch transmissions may change this) and the Japanese compacts the Mazda3, the Honda Civic and Subaru Impreza(a big reason I got one). Technically the Mitsubishi Lancer also counts but they don't sell nearly enough cars overall.

·
straight cash homie
19,926 Posts
I have a hard time believing they'll get rid of the LE V6. That basically means you have to get an XLE if you want a V6 & don't want the sportier looks/firmer ride of the SE.

Also, Camry L? Da fuck is that, the Camry Loser trim? Just bring back the CE, which always comes and goes anyway.

I would also like to know where he's getting this from. And I really hope they don't can the manuals.
For the LE V6, the take rate might be very low nowadays, as compared with the older style Cams. Most buyers that opt for the V6 these days want leather, navigation and the nicer equipment, which the XLE and SE offer in distinct packages. Most Camry buyers that go for the LE grade, the 4 cylinder is more than the adequate.

As for the "L", that might be just speculation as to what it'll be called, but for sure they will have a Camry sub grade model to start below $20K for whatever marketing reasons so that the dealers have a loss leader to sell in the newspaper ads.

·
Newbie One Kanobi
2003 Toyota ECHO!!
8,837 Posts
http://www.carnewschina.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/guangzhou-toyota-spyshot-china-1-458x229.jpg

I don't know if these are actual spyshots but the camo really throws me off especially with the cardboard in the back.
Seems to be an improvement:lol::D

Subaru Impreza(a big reason I got one). Technically the Mitsubishi Lancer also counts but they don't sell nearly enough cars overall.
What year Impreza did you get?? WRX or regular??

I know the Corolla LE is the biggest seller among the different trims, then the "S" trim. So I assume its similar to the Camry that the LE trim is popular, more so the 4-banger version. I know the 4-banger versions sell more than the V6 models. Price, mpg reasons. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1986 Toyota Cressida
4,512 Posts
What year Impreza did you get?? WRX or regular??
A 2004 RS essentially mid grade model by then(the TS is cheaper) but the one I got is kitted up with fog lights, sun roof, spoiler, etc. The RS is better for insurance, fuel bills and less likely to be abused compared to the WRX, and I still get to avoid a FWD car. As a used buy its fantastic I get features most Corollas and Civics don't get, admittedly I don't think its a good new buy...way too expensive($26,000 here).

I was almost worried I couldn't get a decent manual car after my Cressida stopped wanting to daily drive. Toronto area cars are essentially 90% automatic, meaning the easiest cars to find as manuals are Hondas, Mazdas and sports cars. Honestly I wanted an old MX-5 to keep RWD but I was aghast at how expensive they've become, I couldn't find an unmolested 240SX and as nice a 7th gen Celica is...FWD is what made me stay away.

·
Portholes are the Sh!t
527 Posts
I'm thinking that L trim level is not a replacement for the CE. I remember reading somwhere a couple years ago that Toyota was thinking of dropping the Avalon and doing a longer wheel base model for the Camry called the L. So maybe this is it. The CE is probably being dropped completely and the LE will be the lowest model which is why power seats will be an option. I think that would make sense because they built so few CE models anyway and I thought the differences between the CE and LE were pretty minimal.

I'm also thinking there is so little info on this car because Toyota is planning on laying the smack down with the new Camry to shut all the haters up.

·
I am MAYHEM!
2002 Toyota Tundra
346 Posts
I know all this info is preliminary, but I'm glad to see Toyota isn't following the two Korean's lead and keeping the V6. :thumbsup:

·
CRESSIDA!!!
1984 Toyota Cressida
5,630 Posts
I know all this info is preliminary, but I'm glad to see Toyota isn't following the two Korean's lead and keeping the V6. :thumbsup:
I don't think the V6 was ever in doubt. The 2GR is not very old and Toyota usually keeps an engine in service ~10 years. Now what happens for the 8th Gen Camry is up in the air, but for now I can easily see the V6 staying.

61 - 80 of 1199 Posts