Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My brother's car (my old car) is having transmission problems and I'm coming here for advice before getting potentially ripped off by a mechanic. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I owned the car up until about 86K and then I sold it to my brother. Unfortunately, I never changed the transmission fluid except when I did a full tune-up and did a transmission flush at about 80K. Other than that, I always changed the engine oil every 8-9K, cabin filter, and engine filter as per manual. Recently, my brother reported that the engine felt like it was skipping a gear and about 1300 miles later, the transmission sort of gave up. I'm not sure if it's a solenoid issue or possibly a sensor issue, but the car does reverse without any issues which makes me wonder if the transmission isn't a complete goner. It does sometimes drive a bit forward but eventually gives up. However, it still continues to reverse without any issues. The car currently has about 144K on it.

Any guidance would be tremendously appreciated. I am located in NYC. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Your Camry falls within the years for the solenoid issue. I believe the warranty is to 150k miles. I would do a search to find out definitively the terms of the solenoid warranty and then call Toyota.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your Camry falls within the years for the solenoid issue. I believe the warranty is to 150k miles. I would do a search to find out definitively the terms of the solenoid warranty and then call Toyota.
I called Toyota and they said that my car doesn't qualify? My VIN is 4T**K1FK7CU520626

·
イリジウム
11,661 Posts
If so then try changing the felt filter (check rockauto) and ATF (such as Valvilibe Maxlife ATF from Walmart) and see how the transmission behaves.

A clogged filter might be a reason. But if a clutch is burned out then may be you want to swap in a reman with 3-yr 100k warranty. Check rockauto.

How close are you to West Hempstead, NY? Gary has lots of transmission videos on YouTube, give him a call.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Fortunately Camry transmissions are not too expensive. I am pretty sure he could be done for well under $1500 with used low mileage transmission and that is installed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts