Toyota Nation Forum banner

181 - 200 of 345 Posts

·
Rubber Ducky
864 Posts
when i get the car back next week, i will let everyone know. besides. the venza i have as a loaner is a freaking tank of a car. feels heavier than the 1500 truck i traded in.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
when i get the car back next week, i will let everyone know. besides. the venza i have as a loaner is a freaking tank of a car. feels heavier than the 1500 truck i traded in.
They gonna have your car an entire week? Jeesh.. I will wait til summer when I'm off work for 3 months to get mine done then...

·
Rubber Ducky
864 Posts
got the car back tuesday. no more popping shit in the roof. there isn't an op code just yet for this procedure.

so take your car in. request the new shim kit for the sunroof.

·
Registered
499 Posts
got the car back tuesday. no more popping shit in the roof. there isn't an op code just yet for this procedure.

Thanks for the follow up. Glad to hear your car is fixed. Actually have a 5k maintenance appointment tomorrow. Will ask and hope this dealership knows about this shim kit.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts

do you know if they took down your headliner?

·
Rubber Ducky
864 Posts
they had someone come in and pull/replace the head liner. so, yes it does have to come down. then a factory rep came in and put the kit in for the sunroof deal.

·
Registered
499 Posts
So the dealership fixed the auto open/close feature of the moonroof-- apparently it was a programming issue and they didn't need to take down the headliner. Now that its fixed, didn't realize just how much nicer it is not having to hold down the close button and guess when the roof is securely closed. :rolleyes:

However, none of the service reps or techs have heard of this new shim kit. And it just so happens that the lead foreman was out yesterday, but I'm not hopeful -- at least at this specific dealership. :facepalm: Anyone from Southern California knows of any dealership that has done successful work with this shim kit? Otherwise, maybe will have to go down the phone book of all the dealerships **sigh**

·
Registered
499 Posts
2013 Camrys affected??

Does anyone here have a 2013 Camry with the same moonroof issues?

Was seriously thinking of trading in my car for either a 13 Camry or 13 Avalon, due to all the issues I've had with this car (btw, it's been more than just a popping moonroof for me unfortunately-- grrrr :mad:). I have to stick with Toyota unfortunately b/c I'm trying to get back my entire initial deposit from this specific dealership as compensation for all my troubles in the last 4 months I've own this car-- and hopefully apply it towards a trade-in. Have a meeting scheduled with the General Manager this weekend and he's very amenable to a trade-in and "making things right for me so I am happy" (or so he claims on the phone).

·
Rubber Ducky
864 Posts
j# 2 15T0Z

"found welding slag in between the seam of the moon roof opening and in between the pinch welds. during body roll and over bumps the slag would creek and make noise. removed headliner and moon roof assembly to access and clean out the space between the spot welds on the pinch weld opening of the moon roof. inserted shim stock and in between the space after cleaning out the slag and also installed felt in between the roof and folded over section of the opening. was helped by FTS to properly install the shim stock. reassembled and verified repair"

thats the info i have on it

·
Registered
739 Posts
Does anyone here have a 2013 Camry with the same moonroof issues?

Was seriously thinking of trading in my car for either a 13 Camry or 13 Avalon, due to all the issues I've had with this car (btw, it's been more than just a popping moonroof for me unfortunately-- grrrr :mad:). I have to stick with Toyota unfortunately b/c I'm trying to get back my entire initial deposit from this specific dealership as compensation for all my troubles in the last 4 months I've own this car-- and hopefully apply it towards a trade-in. Have a meeting scheduled with the General Manager this weekend and he's very amenable to a trade-in and "making things right for me so I am happy" (or so he claims on the phone).
I have less than a thousand miles on my car but it's "as quiet as a church mouse", as was my '12 Camry.

·
Registered
499 Posts
j# 2 15T0Z

"found welding slag in between the seam of the moon roof opening and in between the pinch welds. during body roll and over bumps the slag would creek and make noise. removed headliner and moon roof assembly to access and clean out the space between the spot welds on the pinch weld opening of the moon roof. inserted shim stock and in between the space after cleaning out the slag and also installed felt in between the roof and folded over section of the opening. was helped by FTS to properly install the shim stock. reassembled and verified repair"

thats the info i have on it
Thanks Area47. That's really helpful. I'm glad there's at least a few good endings.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Well here's my final update to the moonroof saga: never was able to find a dealer in So Cal that knew of the new shim/insulation kit-- even after showing them this post. They did say that Toyota simply has not gotten enough moonroof issues brought in yet from the dealers to warrant a TSB out. :dunno:

And Corporate is a joke-- they said matters like this would need to be handled with the independent dealers b/c Corp only handles Lemon-related issues (ie serious mechanical and/or safety issues). They did try to appease me by starting a arbitration investigation, but in the end, they told me most likely Toyota will not step in bc my issue would not meet the threshold under Lemon Law. Not sure if all of this was BS, but not happy with the conclusion.

Finally gave up and traded in my 12 Camry for a 13 Avalon Limited, and couldn't be happier with the ride. Still frustrated that I was never able to fix all of the issues with the car, but guess I have to learn to let some things go. Good luck guys with your cars. :thumbsup:

·
Rubber Ducky
864 Posts
there was mine, and another one that was doing the same thing when i took it in. so it is known. it's a shit excuse by your dealership not to do anything about it.

·
Registered
499 Posts
there was mine, and another one that was doing the same thing when i took it in. so it is known. it's a shit excuse by your dealership not to do anything about it.
Yeah i agree. The dealerships are independently owned, so the level of consistency with knowledge of service is probably spotty at best. Thanks for your help though. I'm sure others will be more lucky getting theirs fixed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Got my roof popping noise fixed. this is what the repair log from toyota said:

" Verified condition: popping noise from LH/R when traveling on rough roads. no noise when body flex is induced. recommened to follow TMD pre TSB repair instructions to eliminate noise.
reemoved headliner and lowered sunroof. All at a 90 deg angle to roof strcture. added stock shim as per TMS pre TSB repair instructions. also performed TSB 088-12 and added felt strip on both front sunroof corners between roof skin andsunroof structure. Reassembeld vehicle and test drove at 53 deg F over rough road surfaces, no noise. created DPR: D 7020863"

I included the spelling errors on the report :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well here's my final update to the moonroof saga: never was able to find a dealer in So Cal that knew of the new shim/insulation kit-- even after showing them this post. They did say that Toyota simply has not gotten enough moonroof issues brought in yet from the dealers to warrant a TSB out. :dunno:

And Corporate is a joke-- they said matters like this would need to be handled with the independent dealers b/c Corp only handles Lemon-related issues (ie serious mechanical and/or safety issues). They did try to appease me by starting a arbitration investigation, but in the end, they told me most likely Toyota will not step in bc my issue would not meet the threshold under Lemon Law. Not sure if all of this was BS, but not happy with the conclusion.

Finally gave up and traded in my 12 Camry for a 13 Avalon Limited, and couldn't be happier with the ride. Still frustrated that I was never able to fix all of the issues with the car, but guess I have to learn to let some things go. Good luck guys with your cars. :thumbsup:
Ha, this is a bunch of crap by corporate. Read through the comments on my blog and you'll find many FTSs going to dealers all around the country working on this.

http://brianmorristech.com/?p=939

You'll find an owner that actually got Toyota to give him a brand new Camry....only to have the noise start on that one in 5K miles. You'll find many lemon law cases. My dealer has been in touch with Toyota engineers and they keep telling my dealer to wait for a TSB.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Ha, this is a bunch of crap by corporate. Read through the comments on my blog and you'll find many FTSs going to dealers all around the country working on this.

http://brianmorristech.com/?p=939

You'll find an owner that actually got Toyota to give him a brand new Camry....only to have the noise start on that one in 5K miles. You'll find many lemon law cases. My dealer has been in touch with Toyota engineers and they keep telling my dealer to wait for a TSB.
Very nice blog on this issue Brian. :thumbsup: I think it will also help out many people. I figured what that case manager at Corp said was a bunch of BS. What surprises me is that if Toyota knows about this issue and they are actually sending many of their techs out, why not send out a TSB with training already? A lot of people are waiting here. Geesh...

On another note, I'm not surprised about the moonroof issue on the 13' Camrys-- being same platform and all. However, my friend recently told me his 4 month old Lexus GS now has the popping moonroof as well. :eek: Wonder if there's a thread for the same issue for the Lexus. :facepalm:

181 - 200 of 345 Posts
About this Discussion
344 Replies
97 Participants
rosethornil
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing