Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 345 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
I took my 2012 TCH XLE to the dealer thjis morning and asked them if they knew of a TSB on this popping noise on teh passenger side roof. They said they did not. Has anyone been able to identify if one exists or has an update on this issue???
There is no tsb for '12 only for past years. it has been the same sunroof design for many years and the concerns are normally due to consistant issues.

·
Registered
17 Posts
no such issue yet, i have an xle with moon roof.

then again, i have only 300 miles on mine.

however, the other day driving at night i thought i heard something hitting my car driving through the residential street, like if someone threw a rock at your car but i got out and nothing, no dings, scratches or physical evidence.

hoping it was wasn't the roof and hopefully it was just a rock that got thrown under the wheel well.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
mine has moonroof too and is at 1600 miles and i can hear the popping sound only when i turn right on an angled surface with a little bit of speed. if i slow down, there is no noise. i agree with the other TN user, sounds like something dropped on the roof.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2012 Camry Roof noises

I have the same exact roof creaking and popping. Mine seems to be more pronounced when it gets hot outside. It is definitely on the passenger side, toward the rear. It's not the sun roof, as I opened it all different ways and even held it with my hand and the rattle still occurred. It's making me crazy, as well. I have a 10,000 mile oil change this month. I'm going to have them address this issue. I'll let you all know what kind of response or resolution I get.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2009 Camry Hybrid with moonroof - I hear similar roof popping noises as stated earlier (left rear passenger area; could not isolate to moonroof; noise like a sharp knock on wood (but metal?) occurs on various turns, certain bumps, and sometimes just for whatever. Hard to reproduce from scratch reliably, but once you find the "groove" I can almost play a song...
Does seem more frequent on warmer days (~80 degree + F) but this is not proven scientifically. Sometimes one larger "pop" other times more iike a slow creaking hinge.
Happening for over a year - getting worse. Note to everyone: "Get it in the record at you dealership". I only complained, but never had it written on any quote for work, and am now out of the three year warranty (4 years, 35,000 miles).
I also paid for a Platinum warranty, but so far (three dealers and a 1-800 call to Toyota later) and no relief in sight.

Previous posters asked for dealer/Toyota responses. Here is my experience to date.
a) Start with much denial about a systemic problem from the dealerships. (never heard of this problem, or maybe...but...)
b) I finally confirmed there is a TSB for the front of the moonroof making noise
note - also Pretty sure there is another TSB for Camry moonroof clip "adjustments" - it was online a 18 months ago when I looked. Did not seem relevant to my case, but obviously was to someone else.
c) There is at least one other documented complaint in Toyota's "TIS" system (where TSBs come from eventually?). The fix was apparently to re-seal (re-glue) some kind of padding (felt) between a roof strut and the the roof. Viewed over a service manager's shoulder as he tried to explain the grainy picture. His call to somewhere returnd "not covered under warranty". But, apparently if some "part", e.g in the moonroof, actually broke, then that would be covered.
d) Other service advisors have told me that there is a broken weld that needs to be re-welded.
(one manager told me to open it up and just stick a rag in there...great...thanks)
e) Toyota Financial Services (services the platinum warranty program) explained that "structural framework" is not covered for "mechanical failure". [I later confirmed in the fine print, last page]

Note: My position that the roof is a "part" and the roof broke, therefore replace it, has been met with detached bemusement.

f) After escalating to Toyota and being contacted by a dealer within three business days- the "customer advocate" at the dealership re-iterated that this problem is not covered under any warranty. Rough estimate to repair will be over $1,000.
g) next step - I pay $70 (before it was $200, so that is some progress) for the dealer to diagnose and then they will give me a more concrete diagnosis and estimate. The customer advocate or service manager may then take the situation back to Toyota. I am not sure how that might work and what might result. But I am hoping for something better than what I've seen so far.

This car is well-maintained in Northern California (no snow, never off paved road, etc.), garaged day and night, low milage, great shape, not beaten.... The roof assembly or whatever it is, should not simply come apart.

My position is that Toyota has an engineering defect - either in design or in manufacturing process or both, and that Toyota should stand behind their mistakes to fix this and not hide behind loopholes to avoid the issue.

My questions for this forum:
Helpful?
Suggestions before I fork over the $70?
Also - happy to answer specific questions in subsequent updates.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update - to poptop post #28 at
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/310-7th-generation-2012/418639-2012-camry-xle-roof-noise-2.html#post3953451

2009 Camry Hybrid roof, moonroof, rattle problem
4 years old 36,000 miles.
pop and creak from roof near rear passenger area

Dealer appointment made and kept Tuesday mid AM.
Test drive literally around ~20 parked cars in the dealer's lot - slights bumps here and there - creaks and pops like crazy. ($70 for that 30 second ride?). Technician obviously heard the noise, and he had obviously heard it before, but of course he is trained to not say anything useful. I am not even sure he could admit the sun was above the horizon.

Call later that day from my "customer advocate" - "Yes there is a noise." It will cost $375 to repair, but he will check with Toyota to see if Toyota will cover this cost. Car is apart, so best to leave it. Wednesday - "Customer advocate" is out sick, unexpectedly. Finally find someone to call and to check -Wednesday PM - "Good news Toyota will pay for the repair" (!) but it will take another day to finish. Picked up car on the third day and it seems better. Time will tell. No charge. Which is great. -of course I did not have my vehicle for 80+ hours, but OK.

For the record the dealer performed
TSB 0088-12
As a "one time good will repair"

Additional research shows that there are other roof-noise related TSBs
TSB 0089-08
TSB 0090-10
This does not consider the dashboard related noises.

Form "never heard of it", to three known TSBs, to one applied -this has been an interesting journey into dealer and general Toyota obfuscation. Now I wonder, since I just had '88 done, I can hardly wait until '89 and '90 are due.

This is way too much stress for a known problem that someone could have just acknowledged a long time ago (two years ago)

Another insight I gleaned as I listened to various conversations I am not sure I was intended to hear. Consequently, this may or may not be generally true. The reason local dealers apparently do not want to tackle warranty work is that Toyota only pays $x per hour while the dealer can charge $x plus a lot more per hour to the general public. So a dealer reasons like this - "Business is pretty right now. Why should I tie up one of my better mechanics and make a lot less money at the same time?" - So the deck is stacked against the consumer, even when the consumer is absolutely right and due the warranty service.

Get your complaints on the record.
Always be polite.
Listen more than talk.
Escalate to Toyota.
Escalate some more.
Be persistent.
Pray for integrity all around (miracles do happen here).

·
Registered
3 Posts
My dealer fixed my roof popping sound.

It turned out that the rear dome light was loose and not properly installed. I watched the guy fix it in like 1 minute by bending some of the tabs in dome light mount and pop it back in. No more popping sound for me.

:mob:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same EXACT issue and it is now resolved. First, there is no TSB for the 2012 Camry yet. To give you some relief, it also is not a roof structural issue. The sounds radiate throughout inside the roof so it may seem as though it's a roof issue. It is your sunroof. My dealership actually had Toyota come down and they did some kind of gasket or sunroof repair and it is fixed. There may be a future TSB, as the same day I was there a woman brought her 2012 Camry in for the same issue. When you go to your dealer, insist that if they can't resolve the problem to have Toyota intervene. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Those TSB's you have listed very rarely fix the issues you guys are experiencing .. the real problem is the sunroof/moonroof assembly contacts the roof of the vehicle and creates that snap/pop noise over bumps or when the body flexes enough.. the only way i have found to fix this is to make more of a space in between the sunroof assy. and the roof.. hope that helped

·
Registered
499 Posts
2012 Camry XLE V6 moonroof issue resolved

Hey guys. Just bought a 2012 Camry XLE V6 about 2 weeks ago and unfortunately noticed the same moonroof noise issue. Was really hesitant about bringing it into the dealer to have them take off my headliner -- mainly bc I was very skeptical that things wouldn't be put back correctly with such a big job (universal Home Link, airbags and sensors, safety connect, side panel trims, moonroof, etc..).

I asked to speak to the head technician first to see if they were even aware of the issue with the Camrys and if they had indeed fixed similar issues. Luckily he was very knowledgable about the Camrys moonroof problems dating back to even the 09s. He said it was a simple fix as the MOONROOF ASSEMBLY was never torqued correctly. However, he did state that it was a big job (2 days) bc they needed to remove the entire headliner and all the parts connected.

Just got my car back yesterday and so far so good. I am a fairly detailed guy, so when I got the car back initially, I did a full inspection of all the functionality of the car as it relates to the roof-- moonroof/open/tilt, safety connect, home link, even dome lights. Everything was pretty good-- I noticed a minor misaligned plastic trim near the door sills that I had the technician redo (took him about 3 minutes) and the headliner seems a tad-bit looser than I remembered, but not a big deal. Best part-- no more noise over bumps/driveways. But of course it's only been a day, so I'll keep everyone posted. I just thought I give feedback for those having similar issues and contemplating whether to get fixed or not.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Hey guys. Just bought a 2012 Camry XLE V6 about 2 weeks ago and unfortunately noticed the same moonroof noise issue. Was really hesitant about bringing it into the dealer to have them take off my headliner -- mainly bc I was very skeptical that things wouldn't be put back correctly with such a big job (universal Home Link, airbags and sensors, safety connect, side panel trims, moonroof, etc..).

I asked to speak to the head technician first to see if they were even aware of the issue with the Camrys and if they had indeed fixed similar issues. Luckily he was very knowledgable about the Camrys moonroof problems dating back to even the 09s. He said it was a simple fix as the MOONROOF ASSEMBLY was never torqued correctly. However, he did state that it was a big job (2 days) bc they needed to remove the entire headliner and all the parts connected.

Just got my car back yesterday and so far so good. I am a fairly detailed guy, so when I got the car back initially, I did a full inspection of all the functionality of the car as it relates to the roof-- moonroof/open/tilt, safety connect, home link, even dome lights. Everything was pretty good-- I noticed a minor misaligned plastic trim near the door sills that I had the technician redo (took him about 3 minutes) and the headliner seems a tad-bit looser than I remembered, but not a big deal. Best part-- no more noise over bumps/driveways. But of course it's only been a day, so I'll keep everyone posted. I just thought I give feedback for those having similar issues and contemplating whether to get fixed or not.
i see that you're from LA too. which dealership did you go to?

·
Registered
499 Posts
I went to Frontier Toyota in Valencia. Had the Head Tech named Jimmy check it out, but Greg was the Lead tech that worked on the car. Very pleased. Also don't forget to ask for a free rental bc they will need to keep it for 2 days.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I went to Frontier Toyota in Valencia. Had the Head Tech named Jimmy check it out, but Greg was the Lead tech that worked on the car. Very pleased. Also don't forget to ask for a free rental bc they will need to keep it for 2 days.
thanks for the info. hows the noise so far? has it come back?

·
Registered
32 Posts
noise

I have a 2010 Camry SE and this noise was really bad today! Before it was near the rear window, today it was near the windshield...totally unacceptable. I just went to the dealer for something and can't spend another day camped out there - any hints on how to fix this myself? What does "T-SB-0088-12" say to do?

21 - 40 of 345 Posts
About this Discussion
344 Replies
97 Participants
rosethornil
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing