Toyota Nation Forum banner

81 - 100 of 345 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
I do notice noise from that retarded hand handle on the driver side making noises when its in the resting position. Pulling the handle and letting it go back up stops it for about 5-10 minutes before it starts again.
You were right. Apparently this new strange rattling noise was the hand holds -- except mine was coming from the rear passenger side. I played around with it and the noise has ceased (at least for now). If it comes back, I'm going to have my dealer tighten all 4 sides. Thanks for the tip.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
My wife's 2012 Camry SE also has the annoying sunroof noise. She started hearing the noise with roughly 500 miles on the vehicle. I've been monitoring this site hopefully there was a solution but have been discouraged hearing this have been a problem even with previous generation Camry. I have sent an email to Toyota but haven't received any response back. The TSB that has been posted for previous year Camry says to re-tighten some nuts and bolts to resolve the problem. I just don't feel confident having the dealership tearing a brand to car apart and putting it back together the same way. If that really was a solution you would think that this new generation Camry would have left the factory with the nuts and bolts torqued correctly. I really regret getting a Camry with a sunroof. The wife hardly used the sunroof in her previous car but wanted one in the new car because her old one had it.:headbang: Maybe I can just get them to weld the sunroof closed and that will fix the noise. I wonder what percentage of new Camry owners with sunroof have this problem?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I purchased my 2012 Camry SE in Concord, California of August 2012. I started to hear a rattle from my sunroof at about 2,000 mi. and was unsure of where the noise was coming from at first. It made a knocking noise as if I had something in my center console or underneath my seat that was tapping against something when I went over bumps and uneven pavement. But after taking everything out of my vehicle, I realized it was certainly coming from my sunroof and I assumed something was loose and needed to be adjusted.

I went ahead and finally took my car in to the dealership before 5,000 mi. and they were able to successfully repair the problem. The tech stated that this was a common problem with older Camry sunroofs and that a nut/bolt was loose. They spent approx. 3 hours taking the entire component apart, including my headliner/roof panel and used a noise kit (part # 08231-00801) and reinstalled everything. So far I have not heard the noise since taking it in and I believe they solved the problem completely. The cashier mentioned that this is a huge problem with the 2012 Camry's and that they are expecting a recall on the item soon.

I would recommend to those of you who are having this same issue to take it into the dealership and ask for one of the veteran service advisors and to request that one of the head mechanics diagnose the problem. Usually the top mechanics who deal with driving issues/noise complaints do not work Saturdays or Mondays, let alone have enough time to do a proper diagnosis.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I purchased my 2012 Camry SE in Concord, California of August 2012. I started to hear a rattle from my sunroof at about 2,000 mi. and was unsure of where the noise was coming from at first. It made a knocking noise as if I had something in my center console or underneath my seat that was tapping against something when I went over bumps and uneven pavement. But after taking everything out of my vehicle, I realized it was certainly coming from my sunroof and I assumed something was loose and needed to be adjusted.

I went ahead and finally took my car in to the dealership before 5,000 mi. and they were able to successfully repair the problem. The tech stated that this was a common problem with older Camry sunroofs and that a nut/bolt was loose. They spent approx. 3 hours taking the entire component apart, including my headliner/roof panel and used a noise kit (part # 08231-00801) and reinstalled everything. So far I have not heard the noise since taking it in and I believe they solved the problem completely. The cashier mentioned that this is a huge problem with the 2012 Camry's and that they are expecting a recall on the item soon.

I would recommend to those of you who are having this same issue to take it into the dealership and ask for one of the veteran service advisors and to request that one of the head mechanics diagnose the problem. Usually the top mechanics who deal with driving issues/noise complaints do not work Saturdays or Mondays, let alone have enough time to do a proper diagnosis.
Can you tell me who at Concord Toyota fixed your car? I purchased my car there and I have the noise issue. How was the quality of their work.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Ugh it's official. I at first thought my kids car seats were making a noise but today when I pulled into a steeper entry to a parking lot my roof popped pretty loud... Right near the sunroof... All the other noises I have heard sounded to the rear of the vehicle but this one was louder and right above my head.. Not a happy camper if this persists...

·
2013 Tacoma
612 Posts
.....and used a noise kit (part # 08231-00801) and reinstalled everything. So far I have not heard the noise since taking it in and I believe they solved the problem completely. The cashier mentioned that this is a huge problem with the 2012 Camry's and that they are expecting a recall on the item soon.
If they used a "noise kit" on it then it's more than a "loose nut". Sounds like a design/engineering issue as well.

As for the cashier's comment? My experience with them is that they are a lot like doctor's office receptionists. They hear just enough of the "shop talk" to think they know what they're talking about, but usually haven't a clue and just spin the facts. Trust me...I worked as a service advisor at a large dealership for years. Some of the worst info/misinfo out there came from the cashiers and clerks. I highly doubt Toyota would issue a recall on a popping noise. A TSB (technical service bulletin)...yes....a recall...no.

Glad you got it fixed though. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
499 Posts
If they used a "noise kit" on it then it's more than a "loose nut". Sounds like a design/engineering issue as well.:
Yeah I was beginning to question this "loose nut" theory as well. So is the problem a pinched weld or a loose nut? Or maybe the true cause is a pinched weld design flaw that is causing the assembly to buckle where the bolts are? So now my curiosity is in fixing one noise problem (by re-torquing a bolt), did I inadvertently create another noise problem?

And I agree, I don't think a recall is ever going to happen, but maybe a legitimate TSB for this specific Toyota model so don't feel like I'm taking a gamble with clueless techs dismantling my car again without having a permanent solution.:facepalm:

·
Registered
8 Posts
A month after sending Toyota corporate an email regarding the roof pop in our Camry we finally heard back from someone. The reply came from the service manager at the dealership where we purchased the vehicle. The manager told my wife they would come pick up her car and drop off a loaner with her and fix the problem. I was a surprised they are willing to come and pick her vehicle up. I'm still a little leery they can fix the problem but the wife wants to give them a chance since the noise continues to get worse. I told her to tell them to do the re-torque and install noise kit because I don't want them tearing the car apart a second time because the re-torque didn't correct the problem. I was wondering if using a product like Dynamat (typically used for vibration dampening during car audio installation) would work better then the felt in the Toyota noise kit? What are your thoughts? Good or bad idea? :help:

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
A month after sending Toyota corporate an email regarding the roof pop in our Camry we finally heard back from someone. The reply came from the service manager at the dealership where we purchased the vehicle. The manager told my wife they would come pick up her car and drop off a loaner with her and fix the problem. I was a surprised they are willing to come and pick her vehicle up. I'm still a little leery they can fix the problem but the wife wants to give them a chance since the noise continues to get worse. I told her to tell them to do the re-torque and install noise kit because I don't want them tearing the car apart a second time because the re-torque didn't correct the problem. I was wondering if using a product like Dynamat (typically used for vibration dampening during car audio installation) would work better then the felt in the Toyota noise kit? What are your thoughts? Good or bad idea? :help:
So u never took yours to a dealer before sending the email? I don't have time to be running to the dealer for diagnosis and all that. I wouldn't mind if they can do what your response was. I really don't like the idea of the headliner being taken out especially with my history of luck with service at dealerships lol..

·
2013 Tacoma
612 Posts
Yeah I was beginning to question this "loose nut" theory as well. So is the problem a pinched weld or a loose nut? Or maybe the true cause is a pinched weld design flaw that is causing the assembly to buckle where the bolts are? So now my curiosity is in fixing one noise problem (by re-torquing a bolt), did I inadvertently create another noise problem?

And I agree, I don't think a recall is ever going to happen, but maybe a legitimate TSB for this specific Toyota model so don't feel like I'm taking a gamble with clueless techs dismantling my car again without having a permanent solution.:facepalm:
The moonroof assembly is a self-contained unit that is manufactured through an outside supplier....not within the actual assembly plant. The entire unit...track, glass and motor are mounted as a single piece. It could, very well, be a design/engineering issue that's not related to the vehicle itself. Perhaps it's just a little 1st year hiccup as all new cars have to some degree or another.

Personally I would sit back and wait for a proper TSB. If there are enough complaints Toyota will issue one. That's how TSB's are generated. It's not safety related so no recall will be issued...nor is one needed for this type of issue.

Also...keep things in perspective: At the end of the day it is just a noise. You're not suffering from a failing drivetrain or parts falling off, etc. Oh...and read my sig...it really is true.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Also...keep things in perspective: At the end of the day it is just a noise. You're not suffering from a failing drivetrain or parts falling off, etc. Oh...and read my sig...it really is true.
Yeah i know you're right-- in the whole grand scheme of things, the engine runs well and it drives nice. I just have a hard time acclimating to a brand NEW car that makes THIS much noise-- when my 04 Camry had 130k+ miles and still ran quiet as a mouse.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Mine is weird. As soon as I get in the car and go I hear some pops/noises.. Then it's gone. Don't hear it again. Then I stop at the convenience store for 3 min to pick up a coffee, hop back in car and pull out and it does it again a couple times and then I don't hear it anymore after that.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Mine is weird. As soon as I get in the car and go I hear some pops/noises.. Then it's gone. Don't hear it again. Then I stop at the convenience store for 3 min to pick up a coffee, hop back in car and pull out and it does it again a couple times and then I don't hear it anymore after that.
this is how mine started. later, you'll hear it when you do a left or right turn on an uneven pavement (mine is when turning right).

·
Registered
499 Posts
Mine is the same too. I think it's all really dependent on how much the car's chassis flexes bc if you notice while driving at higher speeds on straightaways, your car will not flex as much due to the sheer physics and position of the car.... However, when making slow turns especially out of parking lots, driveways, and uneven payments, the car will bend and flex more. Seems like eventually something gets loose enough up there that it starts making the noises-- if it hasn't started already. I was lucky enough to have my noise start at 600 miles or so -- even before I got my plates :facepalm:

·
Registered
8 Posts
So u never took yours to a dealer before sending the email? I don't have time to be running to the dealer for diagnosis and all that. I wouldn't mind if they can do what your response was. I really don't like the idea of the headliner being taken out especially with my history of luck with service at dealerships lol..
Yes all I did was sent an email to corporate. I told them we haven't taken it to the dealership because we don't have the time to be given the run around that the tech don't hear the problem. It's obvious there is a problem because the majority of the people on here with sunroof report hearing noise. Yes you should expect problems with first year models but people with Camry from 2012 back to 2007 have reported having noise from their sunroof area. There is a design flaw somewhere either with the car or the sunroof assembly.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Yes all I did was sent an email to corporate. I told them we haven't taken it to the dealership because we don't have the time to be given the run around that the tech don't hear the problem. It's obvious there is a problem because the majority of the people on here with sunroof report hearing noise. Yes you should expect problems with first year models but people with Camry from 2012 back to 2007 have reported having noise from their sunroof area. There is a design flaw somewhere either with the car or the sunroof assembly.
I will email corporate tonight.

81 - 100 of 345 Posts
About this Discussion
344 Replies
97 Participants
rosethornil
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing