Toyota Nation Forum banner

121 - 140 of 345 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Wow, and this whole time, I thought it was a angry squirrel... This is getting out of hand with all the different noises this car has been making.
1. wind noise
2. roof noise
3. seat noise
4. drivetrain noise

2012 SE I4 6k miles on the clock

I hope we will get easy fixes for these small but annoying nuisances. FINGERS CROSSED!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Different noise coming from the roof?

I have a TCH XLE with 3500 miles. From day one, the sunroof had popped, but only once in the morning as I was backing out of the driveway. However at highway speeds, I notice a rattle noise that is possibly coming from the roof of the car. I don't hear it at anything below 55mph. Is this the same thing? Took it in to the dealer to address this issue and my dash CONSTANTLY creaking near the right speaker when it's cold. Was told they 'fixed' the dash creak (nope) and couldn't reproduce the rattling at highway speeds. Ended up taking the shop foreman out and he heard it only after we drove another Camry (without a sunroof) that didn't have the noise. They ended up dropping my headliner, applying the apparently brand new fix for the popping noise, and tightening some other sort of support up there. Took it on the highway right after I picked it up and noise was still there, albeit possibly fainter. Next few times I took it out, I didn't hear it at all, so maybe it's gone now??

HOWEVER, as a bonus, the idiot who worked on my car SCRATCHED THE SUNROOF. So now a new sunroof has been ordered and they will put that in. Will they have to drop the headliner again? Maybe this well help the original issue, and maybe it will make it worse.. Also, I better not see any scratches around where they have to pry stuff off to drop the headliner...

Also still have the creaky dash. Anybody else in the same boat as me on that one?

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have a TCH XLE with 3500 miles. From day one, the sunroof had popped, but only once in the morning as I was backing out of the driveway. However at highway speeds, I notice a rattle noise that is possibly coming from the roof of the car. I don't hear it at anything below 55mph. Is this the same thing? Took it in to the dealer to address this issue and my dash CONSTANTLY creaking near the right speaker when it's cold. Was told they 'fixed' the dash creak (nope) and couldn't reproduce the rattling at highway speeds. Ended up taking the shop foreman out and he heard it only after we drove another Camry (without a sunroof) that didn't have the noise. They ended up dropping my headliner, applying the apparently brand new fix for the popping noise, and tightening some other sort of support up there. Took it on the highway right after I picked it up and noise was still there, albeit possibly fainter. Next few times I took it out, I didn't hear it at all, so maybe it's gone now??

HOWEVER, as a bonus, the idiot who worked on my car SCRATCHED THE SUNROOF. So now a new sunroof has been ordered and they will put that in. Will they have to drop the headliner again? Maybe this well help the original issue, and maybe it will make it worse.. Also, I better not see any scratches around where they have to pry stuff off to drop the headliner...

Also still have the creaky dash. Anybody else in the same boat as me on that one?
I actually do hear a slight creak noise on the dash, however this may be different than your dash noise -- bc mine is very faint and not consistent, so I consider this part of the "normal" noise I hear when driving (similar to wind noise and tire noise).
I did actually have a very loud rattling noise which after much investigation ended up being the metal prongs from my seats headrest rattling inside the little plastic spring-loaded housing. I was able to fix it by pushing the headrest all the way down firmly to the base of the housing. You may wanna check that out too. Hopes this helps.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a 2009 Camry Hybrid with moonroof - I hear similar roof popping noises as stated earlier (left rear passenger area; could not isolate to moonroof; noise like a sharp knock on wood (but metal?) occurs on various turns, certain bumps, and sometimes just for whatever. Hard to reproduce from scratch reliably, but once you find the "groove" I can almost play a song...
Does seem more frequent on warmer days (~80 degree + F) but this is not proven scientifically. Sometimes one larger "pop" other times more iike a slow creaking hinge.
Happening for over a year - getting worse. Note to everyone: "Get it in the record at you dealership". I only complained, but never had it written on any quote for work, and am now out of the three year warranty (4 years, 35,000 miles).
I also paid for a Platinum warranty, but so far (three dealers and a 1-800 call to Toyota later) and no relief in sight.

Previous posters asked for dealer/Toyota responses. Here is my experience to date.
a) Start with much denial about a systemic problem from the dealerships. (never heard of this problem, or maybe...but...)
b) I finally confirmed there is a TSB for the front of the moonroof making noise
note - also Pretty sure there is another TSB for Camry moonroof clip "adjustments" - it was online a 18 months ago when I looked. Did not seem relevant to my case, but obviously was to someone else.
c) There is at least one other documented complaint in Toyota's "TIS" system (where TSBs come from eventually?). The fix was apparently to re-seal (re-glue) some kind of padding (felt) between a roof strut and the the roof. Viewed over a service manager's shoulder as he tried to explain the grainy picture. His call to somewhere returnd "not covered under warranty". But, apparently if some "part", e.g in the moonroof, actually broke, then that would be covered.
d) Other service advisors have told me that there is a broken weld that needs to be re-welded.
(one manager told me to open it up and just stick a rag in there...great...thanks)
e) Toyota Financial Services (services the platinum warranty program) explained that "structural framework" is not covered for "mechanical failure". [I later confirmed in the fine print, last page]

Note: My position that the roof is a "part" and the roof broke, therefore replace it, has been met with detached bemusement.

f) After escalating to Toyota and being contacted by a dealer within three business days- the "customer advocate" at the dealership re-iterated that this problem is not covered under any warranty. Rough estimate to repair will be over $1,000.
g) next step - I pay $70 (before it was $200, so that is some progress) for the dealer to diagnose and then they will give me a more concrete diagnosis and estimate. The customer advocate or service manager may then take the situation back to Toyota. I am not sure how that might work and what might result. But I am hoping for something better than what I've seen so far.

This car is well-maintained in Northern California (no snow, never off paved road, etc.), garaged day and night, low milage, great shape, not beaten.... The roof assembly or whatever it is, should not simply come apart.

My position is that Toyota has an engineering defect - either in design or in manufacturing process or both, and that Toyota should stand behind their mistakes to fix this and not hide behind loopholes to avoid the issue.

My questions for this forum:
Helpful?
Suggestions before I fork over the $70?
Also - happy to answer specific questions in subsequent updates.

Hello,

Your post was very helpful to read. I wholeheartedly agree that Toyota should fix this issue for all Toyota owners experiencing the "tapping noise issue" in the moon roof. I posted about the moon roof tapping noise here for my Toyota Camry SE 2012. http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/310-7th-generation-2012/427628-2012-camry-se-moonroof-knocking-noise.html#post4021184

My local dealership installed shims, which did not resolve the problem. The moon roof still "taps." This will be my 4th visit to the dealership for this issue alone. I will definitely never get a moon roof again.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hello,
My local dealership installed shims, which did not resolve the problem. The moon roof still "taps." This will be my 4th visit to the dealership for this issue alone. I will definitely never get a moon roof again.
Then I guess you won't be buying an XLE in the future. Even the New 2013 Rav 4 XLE & Limited are coming standard with a moonroof.

With all the moon roof problems they are having, why are they making them standard on even more cars? As someone who keeps a car for 10 years, it's really disappointing, as a moon roof is just something else to fail. Toyota is getting to be too much like Honda, with thier limited choices. If you want Nav or automatic climate, you are stuck also paying for the moon roof. At least Toyota hasn't made leather standard on XLE, well except for the Avalon.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
What's worse still is that they're ruining your taste for a moonroof in the first place. After making power moonroofs for about 50 years now, there is no reason for them not to perform flawlessly.

But alas, Toyota's managed to figure out make even regular old power roll up windows rattle, so I can't say it has so much to do with the moonroof itself as it does the quality control of the common device!!

If you want a moonroof in the future, I'd say go for it. Just be careful if it's a Toyota! :eek:

As I've said before......they're so concerned with giving us all the pop culture crap features (BT, nav, push button start, led's, rear camera, etc.) that they're FORGETTING HOW TO GIVE US A QUALITY CAR IN THE FIRST PLACE!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
My noisy moonroof won't deter me from getting one in my next car. I love moonroofs. I use mine all the time when the temp is above 60.. My noisy moonroof might deter me from buying another Toyota though. It is UNACCEPTABLE that a car built in 2012 sounds like crap going down the road. No excuse. The moonroof is my only complaint about my Camry and I hope they get an official tsb out sooner than later. I have NEVER had a moonroof issue with any of my other cars with them.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I love the sunroof and couldn't live without - NOW.

It's been two months since my car was repaired and the dealer said mine was the first (2012 TCH XLE). However, since then, they've done seven more.

I bought this car because I intend to keep it for 250,000 miles.

We shall see.

I'm starting to wonder if that old saw is true: That the pre-American-made, Japanese-built Camrys are truly superior to the newer Camrys?

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'm starting to wonder if that old saw is true: That the pre-American-made, Japanese-built Camrys are truly superior to the newer Camrys?
My 2002 camry is Japanese-built, and has never been in the shop other than for normal maintenance (fluid changes, tires, etc). The few problems I've had were easy to fix myself (Air Cond Relay, lights, and a motor mount).

I've had 2 cars in the past with Sun Roof, but after a few months I rarely used them, even though I live in Sunny Southern California.

With all these Sun Roof problems, I've removed the Camry from my buy list for now. Really wanted the XLE, and almost bought a 2012, but I'm glad I decided to wait until next year. Guess I'll see if the problem continues on the 2013 models.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Then I guess you won't be buying an XLE in the future. Even the New 2013 Rav 4 XLE & Limited are coming standard with a moonroof.

With all the moon roof problems they are having, why are they making them standard on even more cars? As someone who keeps a car for 10 years, it's really disappointing, as a moon roof is just something else to fail. Toyota is getting to be too much like Honda, with thier limited choices. If you want Nav or automatic climate, you are stuck also paying for the moon roof. At least Toyota hasn't made leather standard on XLE, well except for the Avalon.
Yes unfortunately the moon roof tapping issue is known to occur on all 2012 Camry's as Yotatech1 noted here http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/310-7th-generation-2012/427628-2012-camry-se-moonroof-knocking-noise.html

During one of my visits to the dealership, the service tech manager noted Toyota is trying to catch and fix any of their new Camry's with moon roofs before they leave the factory.

I am like you in regard to keeping my car for at least 10 years, but I hope to keep it for 20 years. This is my first experience owning a moon roof, and now after making so many trips to the dealership for evaluation and proving the issue is still occurring, I'd rather pay it safe by not having a moon roof in the long run, when I buy an additional car. I didn't get as much satisfaction out of the moon roof like I thought I would while I used it. My goal is to get everything fixed under warranty while I can because it's unacceptable to be inconvenienced with these issues on a brand new car.

I am grateful so many people post to this forum about their issues with their Camry's because it helps to reference what other people have reported regarding a known issue every single time you're at the dealership and also that people share information so willingly just trying to help each other out. The support is important.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Roof issues.

Just wanted to share with those Camry owners experiencing the roof issues that I too have Camry SE 2012 that has the same symptoms. When the dealer was first contacted over 3 months ago the service technwas uncertain to the cause and I was to keep track of it and let them know if worsened. By November when the AM/FM stereo gradually quit working I became super frustrated with how much it made this noise in a day's time. Today after a long wait the problem was diagnosed as a poor fit R&R headliner and roof assembly and the fix was to install shims felt per TAS. I am just super frustrated after purchasing my first Camry during the fiasco with the accelerators one day prior to the national news release and no one at the dealer warned us. Literally we signed for it on jan 25 and the news aired jan 26 on the evening news. I then took the car to the dealer after a 3 hour wait on the phone to verify I owned an affected car to be told I did not at the dealer but then to get a recall notice for my faulty pedal assembly. When the 2012 models came out my husband and I liked the interior upgrades and the peace of mind out from under the accelerator deal so we took a $3000 loss (I only had a 500.00 upside down on my trade in before and I wrote a check for that) and invested our faith in this one. I'm just disappointed all the way around and I spent a good deal on this car and I don't want a faulty roof assembly- that's not acceptable to me. I want a meticulously crafted car which I thought I was getting with TMC. I'm so frustrated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My wife's car was finally picked up by the dealership to have the sunroof looked at and to have the 5,000 mile checkup. Surprise surprise they reported that the sunroof was working as expected and didn't report any sounds. But to be fair to them my wife said she hasn't heard the noise as often now that it turned colder outside. I guess the key is to just drive the car when it is cold outside :joking:. At least it is now documented that the car has been checked for sunroof noise.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
My wife's car was finally picked up by the dealership to have the sunroof looked at and to have the 5,000 mile checkup. Surprise surprise they reported that the sunroof was working as expected and didn't report any sounds. But to be fair to them my wife said she hasn't heard the noise as often now that it turned colder outside. I guess the key is to just drive the car when it is cold outside :joking:. At least it is now documented that the car has been checked for sunroof noise.
So yours doesn't make the noise as much when cold?? Mine is worse when cold. I don't think I even had a noise until the temps got colder

·
Registered
8 Posts
So yours doesn't make the noise as much when cold?? Mine is worse when cold. I don't think I even had a noise until the temps got colder

Correct, this is according to my wife. I don't drive the car that often since it is her daily driver. I did ride in the car with her last weekend and didn't hear the noise. Maybe we got the winter Camry and you have the summer Camry? :rofl2:

·
Registered
5 Posts
2012 camry roof noise

I am having the same issues with my new camry -roof noise cracking when I am traveling at slow speeds and happens when I turn the wheel and since its been already serviced sounds like the windhsield has not been installed properly.
Its been in for service where they padded the sun roof frame -and the noise and more windshield noise has resulted from the service visit. Its barely 2 months old with 2000 miles and all paid for, I do feel like I own a lemon. Bottom line-a new car should not have to be serviced this often.

Temperature does not seem to affect the noises.

First service visit they padded the fame and told me "there will be a toyota service bulletin on this specific issue but aren't sure when".
I am scheduled for another appointment with a toyota rep and quidkly losing patience and any faith of them fixing this.
Seems like they are simply creating more issues-or at least certainly sounds like the car has more issues than when I drove it off the lot.
A new car should not have to be serviced this
This car has more noises than 9 year old which I traded in, I don;t find that acceptable.

I posted my comments yesterday and was told to enjoy my car.

Sounds like Toyota has been receiving alot of similar complaints.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That's complete BS how they treated you. You didn't even acknowledge that the issue was the rear-view mirror. How the heck could they write that in their report??!! I would never go back there, and I would even consider reporting their antics to corporate (not that I believe corporate would do anything). Sorry. :sosad:

:bullshitz

Thanks for the sympathy! My Toyota customer experience rep called the service manager there today about my roof noise and - shocking - she had no record of my concerns. (I had emailed my service advisor about correcting his documentation and he was to 'get back with me' so I forwarded her the correspondence). Unfortunately, she was clearly irritated that she had been contacted by corporate and acted like I was overreacting and scheduled me to come in next week under her supervision. She did warn me, however, "rattles can be tricky" which to me meant that she was acting like she cared because the corporate rep was on the line with us, and when I get there she's going to tell me that they can't replicate the noise so she can't help me. The whole contacting corporate thing is a joke, anyhow - they assign someone behind a desk to call you and type up everything you say, then they call the dealership and type up everything they say and it just goes back and forth - so far, in both of my contacts with Toyota on this, 'corporate' has provided no direction and has pretty much allowed the dealership to run the show...

·
Registered
5 Posts
update

Well I went in for the roof noise AGAIN and this time heard something new from this dealership - a little variety to spice things up I guess:

Drove around with the tech and, of course, no noise. I did play my audio recordings. The tech pulled off the trim piece that goes around the sunroof opening and I was able to slightly replicate the noise by grabbing onto the headliner at the opening at the front of the sunroof and pushing it up and down. He told me that where I showed him I generally hear the noise is in the same location as the sunroof motor. Says that when he looked at the motor he saw that it had been installed crooked - screws too tight on one side and too loose on the other, and that when he pushed on the crooked motor assembly it made a noise that sounded like what he heard when I tried to demonstrate. He reinstalled it so that it is straight and flush and now I am waiting to see if the noise comes back. Nothing yet, but it's only been 24 hours. Hard to believe that could be a fix, but I'm trying to be positive.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Well I went in for the roof noise AGAIN and this time heard something new from this dealership - a little variety to spice things up I guess:

Drove around with the tech and, of course, no noise. I did play my audio recordings. The tech pulled off the trim piece that goes around the sunroof opening and I was able to slightly replicate the noise by grabbing onto the headliner at the opening at the front of the sunroof and pushing it up and down. He told me that where I showed him I generally hear the noise is in the same location as the sunroof motor. Says that when he looked at the motor he saw that it had been installed crooked - screws too tight on one side and too loose on the other, and that when he pushed on the crooked motor assembly it made a noise that sounded like what he heard when I tried to demonstrate. He reinstalled it so that it is straight and flush and now I am waiting to see if the noise comes back. Nothing yet, but it's only been 24 hours. Hard to believe that could be a fix, but I'm trying to be positive.
Thanks so much for your detailed update-- every little bit of info helps add to our expanding knowledge of this issue. Good luck and please keep us posted.

As for my update: The secondary noise that started a month after my initial roof fix (Nov 2012) is now strangely GONE. :confused: My guess from what I read here is that it may be temperature-related since my place has been extremely cold as of late. I pray it's not and that the noise is permanently fixed-- but that's probably wishful thinking. If it comes back, I will try Attempt #2 at this stupid roof noise and keep everyone posted.

121 - 140 of 345 Posts
About this Discussion
344 Replies
97 Participants
rosethornil
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing