Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post here, did a brief search to see if this had been posted before but didn’t see it. I have a 2012 1.8L with 67k and the transmission seems a little weird to me. The around town shifting seems sluggish on downshift. Also at interstate speed it kicks down on moderate hills, I’ve only had the car for about 5k miles and I did not expect this. Anyone else experienced these issues?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just had the transmission fluid changed (drain/fill, not a flush) in my 2012 Corolla with 92k miles. I've had the same experience as you with mine both before and after the drain&fill which was done with genuine Toyota WS fluid.

·
Registered
293 Posts
If you are used to driving something with a larger engine and more torque, you will notice your corrolla has to work harder to maintain speed on hills...

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've got a 2009 Matrix and a 2006 Matrix. The changes to the 2009 are very noticeable. The transmission shift points seem slightly different(worse) and it's more reluctant to downshift and requires more throttle input to downshift. I prefer the drive-ability of the 2006...
If the 2009 is cold, it won't shift in to overdrive until it warms up. I'm fairly certain this is by design though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
same here. no OD till its at operating temp (second line on the temp cluster?)

shift points are ok, Push the throttle gradually (halfway, then floor it) if down shifting from 3rd to 1st or 4th/OD to 2nd

just floor it to get the higher rpms, before 40km/h(25mph), into first gear; before 80-90km/h(50mph), second gear is accessible.

Third gear wont be that fun (4k rpm and up, and it lacks torque anyway) unless your already speeding way over limits probably over 120kmh/75mph.

To enjoy a downshift in fourth, I bet its going to need another 25-40mph more, probably at least a speed of a hundred-twenty miles per hour, not recommended unless they somehow let you get on the autobahn with a corolla (I think thats unlikely!). The car will still lack torque to accelerate at some point. Personally, I don't think I ever got there. My tires are not rated to go at this speed anyway!

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,311 Posts
I've got a 2009 Matrix and a 2006 Matrix. The changes to the 2009 are very noticeable. The transmission shift points seem slightly different(worse) and it's more reluctant to downshift and requires more throttle input to downshift. I prefer the drive-ability of the 2006...
If the 2009 is cold, it won't shift in to overdrive until it warms up. I'm fairly certain this is by design though.
The 2009 is DBW so using a throttle controller can help change the throttle feels to where it shifts down with less throttle.

Even my 1995 Previa S/C wouldn't shift to OD until the coolant temp hit 138F. It was easy to see the point it would shift since I had a Scangauge installed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I purchased my 2013 Corolla around one year back with 53k miles. Don’t drive much, currently at 55k, drove 2k in 7 months. After interpretation the above issues...wow. I can only do so much myself, such as change fluid but not the filter..?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts