Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our liftgate has been acting up for awhile now. Seems like the motor is getting tired or worn out. Early symptoms included it would close about 1/2 way then reopen. Another button push and it would close fully. Then a year later it would take 2 or 3 times. Now its so tired we just manually close it and open it.

I replaced the struts thinking that was it. Same problem. I have a feeling its the motor which is getting tired. Any fixes beyond replacing the darn thing, which is like $600-$700?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same problem and after diagnostics at the dealership found that the tailgate pull down motor is shot. Unfortunately, that is not covered under the extended warranty and will cost $2000 to repair. Anyone purchase and aftermarket motor and did it DIY?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Ryan, not sure what year you have, but did a search for a 2008 (my HL) and the cheapest online Toyota price I found was $977.72. Rock Auto list 2, one for $510.79 and 2nd one $698.79.

Haven't done this job, but looking at where the actuator/motor lives in the 2nd gen HL, it looks like the hardest part is getting all the necessary plastic panels and trim off without breaking something just to get to it. The actual replacement is just a few mounting bolts, the push/pull rod, and an electrical connector. If I ever have to replace this, I'll be doing it myself.

Nancy 🍻

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.