Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2012 Camry LE

I initially replaced my brakes several months ago because they were pulsating, kinda shakey, when stopping, like the rotors were warped. I replaced all 4 sets of pads, and all 4 rotors with parts from Advance auto. I chose advance auto because you can get 20% off literally everything by placing the order online with a special promo code, then picking them up in store. After that job, the brakes began to squeak when pressed. I thought it was cheap parts from advance, so i slowly switched EVERYTHING over to parts from O'riellys. (did the fronts one week, the rears a different week, as money allowed) The squeak did not go away, it just moved around. I then read its possibly the cheap organic pads i was using, so i switched to ceramic pads. Again, still squeaking, just moved from one tire to another...

So after replacing my brakes 3 times within a couple months, theyre still squeaking when used. They dont squeak when you press on them very lightly, or very hard. But the average "slow down to the red light" press causes a nice looong high pitched squeak. And its getting worse as time goes on.

Can anyone offer some advice on this?

·
Registered
2014.5 Camry SE
943 Posts
Did you use anti squeak grease on the back of the pads? Or break them in properly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
since there is no movement between the pad and caliper, i did not grease the backs of the pads. I did grease the tops and bottoms, and the slides they move back and forth in though. I was not aware there was a break in procedure. I cant count how many times ive replaced brakes in my life, and i have never done any kind of break in procedure, and have never had this problem before. But, im here to learn... Tell me more about this procedure..

·
Registered
2014.5 Camry SE
943 Posts
I’ve always greased the back of pads with the shims on there and have never had any problems with a squeak. Don’t know if you noticed but the factory pads have the grease on the back too. from memory brake break in is where you get up to around 30mph or so and slam on the brakes several times to “seat” them into the rotors. You want to get them pretty warm and then use regularly. Sometimes just regular use can make the pad crystallize and not function properly if they aren’t broken in. Have always broken them in as well so not sure which helps the most the grease or the breaking pads in.

Edit: here is an article you may want to read. I don’t do this aggressive of a technique. Usually 4-5 hard stops works for me. Biggest thing is don’t come to a complete stop and sit while the brakes are very hot or you will have shaking again very soon.

https://brakeperformance.com/bedding-in-rotors.php

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Measure runout of rotors?

Every contact point needs appropriate grease or what I never use...antiseize

I don't use or recommend generic parts but have never had a problem installing AutoZone/Advance Auto/Napa/O'Reilly parts. So, repeating issue is an installer installation problem.

How many times do you want to do the brake job incorrectly with either bad parts or by taking shortcuts before you get it right?

Live with the squeak as a reminder!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rotor runout not being good seems like it would cause more of a problem you can feel, than a problem you can hear. Maybe my mind is foggy from the weekend, but im not sure im clear on what youre getting at... Are you suggesting that i grease the back of the pads where it seats against the caliper?

·
Registered
22 Posts
You need to take the shim off, clean it out and pump out grease bag (included inside brake pads box) between shim and back of brake pad.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I've never had to do "break in" procedure when changing the last 100 sets or so of pads. I do make sure not to brake too hard during the first couple of days if possible though. If you don't , the rotors will heat up and may warp.
The squeak is usually from semi metallic pads or cheap versions of ceramic which have metal in them rubbing against the metal rotor. Cheap organic pads just wear quickly and create lots of brake dust. Ceramic is your best bet though these days.

When you felt your shaky shaky when braking before, you just needed new rotors and could have reused your pads if they were still good.
I would try a different better quality ceramic brake pad and your squeaking should go away. I doubt it's the lack of grease on your pads as your noise is while your pressing the pedal and not just an odd squeak.
Also, you should always give your new pads a week to break in before you decide to change them. They might squeak for a few days , then ok....

·
Registered
453 Posts
did you wash the rotors off before installing? they are coated with machine oil to prevent rust at the factory. i replaced mine on the venza with centric premium rotors and raybestos EHT pads and there is no noise at all. i didn't even use grease on the clips or backing. i just wire brushed the area on the caliper to remove built up dust before attaching the clips in. i have no nose at all. what brand specifically did you use? i would try raybestos EHT. it can be purchased from rock auto for cheap.

·
Photojournalist
2012 Camry LE
1,800 Posts
I use raybestos ceramics never had a squeak. They are full kits and grease.
Kits give you grease for a reason.
If the factory did it, do it.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Just wanted to follow up.. I was able to fix the problem, doing it in a manner that seemed very wrong, but it worked. i basically got the car up to speeds that arent even legal on interstates, then slammed on the brakes bringing the car down to 10-20mph. I did this several times in a row. Apparently got the brakes so hot that when i stopped at a red light right after, they smelled so bad i could have swore they were smoking. But they werent. Like i said, probably the wrongest way possible, but idgaf, i was at witts end, this worked, and the actual performance of the brakes was not affected. The brake pedal has the same exact sensitivity as before and the car still stops perfectly on a dime.

to answer the question above, yes, i always clean rotors with contact cleaner before installation

·
Registered
2014.5 Camry SE
943 Posts
Just wanted to follow up.. I was able to fix the problem, doing it in a manner that seemed very wrong, but it worked. i basically got the car up to speeds that arent even legal on interstates, then slammed on the brakes bringing the car down to 10-20mph. I did this several times in a row. Apparently got the brakes so hot that when i stopped at a red light right after, they smelled so bad i could have swore they were smoking. But they werent. Like i said, probably the wrongest way possible, but idgaf, i was at witts end, this worked, and the actual performance of the brakes was not affected. The brake pedal has the same exact sensitivity as before and the car still stops perfectly on a dime.

to answer the question above, yes, i always clean rotors with contact cleaner before installation

Glad everything worked out

1 - 14 of 14 Posts