Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Catanzaro
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 Corolla will not accelerate. Car starts and stays in the RPM range of 1,450 +/- 50. The scan tool is showing the following:

My sisters car will not move or accelerate, it starts fine and just idles higher than normal after warmed up. Has to go to mechanic as too far away. Was able to scan vehicle. These are the codes that appeared. Car has to be towed there. Only 33,500 miles and just happened.

P0335 - Crankshaft position (CKP) sensor - circuit malfunction - Status Confirmed

P2118 - Pending & Confirmed - Throttle actuator control (TAC) , throttle motor current range/performance problem

P0121 - Confirmed - Throttle position (TP) Switch A/accelerator pedal position (APP) switch A - range/performance problem

P0123 - Confirmed - Throttle position (TP) switch A/accelerator pedal position (APP) switch A - high input

P2135 - Confirmed - Throttle position (TP) or Accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor/switch A/B - voltage correlation

Unfortunately vehicle is too far away for work, but want to make sure mechanic is providing correct information. Thank you.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,311 Posts
I've never seen this issue. Please update us when you have a fix.

·
Catanzaro
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After further discussion with my mother, I realized that the battery died due to a light being left on in the car for a few days. There were jumper cables placed on the vehicles (my father) and supposedly he could not get the car started. My cousin came to help and it is possible my father reversed the cables (I suspect this), in which could have blown the # 17 Fuse in the engine bay (ETCS) 10 AMP Fuse - for the Electronic Throttle Control System. If this is the case (I will know Sunday as I am an hour away), the car may just drive like normal. If not, then will need to be towed to the Toyota Dealer.

The strange part is that my mother claims that the car, after jump starting the vehicle was driven at least once, maybe twice no more than 2 miles without issues. The speed limit is 25 mph at most, so is possible that the fuse had blown, and it took a few minutes and miles for the ECU to shut down the vehicle and to go into safe/limp mode (who knows?)

I will keep you posted and this may take 2 weeks, maybe 3 weeks at the most. The most obvious is this fuse.

·
Catanzaro
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The cat is not out of the bag yet, but I had a neighbor who lives across the street check the fuse # 17, which is 10 amp fuse and it was blown. He replaced the 10 amp fuse with a spare and swapped out the spots. When I inspect the vehicle, I will look at the fuse, but almost positive the fuse was blown during the jump car.

The car prior to the 10 amp. fuse replacement was stuck at around 1,400 rpm's and the idle would not drop down when the engine was fully warm. My mother stated that after 10 minutes of idling yesterday the RPM gauge was under 1,000, right around the 800 mark, which appears to be normal. In addition, the Traction Control light went off on the dash after the fuse change (based on my conversation).

On Sunday, I will report back after test driving the car. If the Corolla gets to 25 mph, then clearly the fuse was the culprit. If not, then AAA will be called for the towing to the dealer.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,311 Posts
Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

·
Catanzaro
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yesterday, I started the car, placed in Reverse, and then drive and the car took off. The traction light was out as well. The fuse blew and this was the issue. In addition, the radio fuse was out as well. A short fuse that I have to pick up as well), as I did not have. So the issue was that the fuse blew probably from the cables being reversed that created a spark.

·
4,031 Posts
Glad you got that figured out.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,311 Posts
Yesterday, I started the car, placed in Reverse, and then drive and the car took off. The traction light was out as well. The fuse blew and this was the issue. In addition, the radio fuse was out as well. A short fuse that I have to pick up as well), as I did not have. So the issue was that the fuse blew probably from the cables being reversed that created a spark.
Good to hear that you figured it out!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts