Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had this problem about 3 months. The ac blower wont blow at different times. When it does blow it blows as hard and cold as it should be, however random times when we get in the car and turn the ac or heater on nothing blows out. Occasionally when driving it will just come on but usually if when you turn the car on and its not blowing it wont. We have noticed in the morning it almost always comes on especially now that its colder. However today after it blowing fine all morning when I got in the car and turned the ac on nothing happens, its about 80 today here. Yesterday it blew fine and cold all day and this morning the heat blew perfectly. Anyone have this issue, doesn't seem like the blower motor is out since it clearly works when it does run. Maybe a fuse or something in electrical that keeps shorting?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No when its not blowing like this afternoon it wont blow it wont blow on auto or off auto. Nothing comes out. Sometimes it works for a few weeks in a row then not at all for a week or two.

·
Registered
4Runner & Fusion
974 Posts
Check the floor and defroster outlets for airflow - if they are flowing then the blend gates have issues. Also check to make sure the vents aren't shut. Last but not least, check the cabin air filter, because if it's clogged or dislodged you won't get much airflow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks no issues with vents. When it blows it works perfect and blow either ac or heat hard and cold or hot, depending on which one is on. However when the fan isn't blowing nothing comes out. It just randomly it seems decides when or when it wont blow. Almost like its got a short in wiring or something shorts out temporarily.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So this morning got in the car and ac immediately came on and blew hard and cold . Turned on the heat since it was cold and it blew hard and hot. Now at lunch time get in the car and neither blows at all. Nothing. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just was curious if anyone had had this same problem. I took it to the dealer but the day I did the ac was blowing and they said they cant diagnose a problem when its working. So nothing got accomplished. So I have to have a day I can take it in when its not working but its so random.

·
Registered
4Runner & Fusion
974 Posts
I'll agree the dealer needs to duplicate the situation (most of the time). Reluctantly, you might have to escalate with Toyota. This day and age some of this stuff is mechanical and some is software programmable. Don't know if the Avalon has related software, which could be reloaded. The only scenario that could make this worse is if the vehicle has more than 36,000 miles in which case you'll be paying shop rate to get it fixed if you don't have an extended warranty.

Get it back to the dealer when you can. If no trouble found at least there will be a log in the computer about the existing intermittent issue. Try another dealer if you must. Some are better than others. Good luck OP.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know that this is an older thread, where you able to identify the problem causing your issue? I am having the exact same problem with my 2013 Avalon.

·
Registered
2014 Avalon Limited
55 Posts
I think the Econ, Norm, and Sport switches effect the performance of the AC. If in Econ may slow down or shut down the performance of the AC.

·
Registered
1 Posts
AC/heater blower working intermittently

I am experiencing the same issue with my 2014 Avalon Hybrid Limited. The AC/blower motor stops working intermittently. If I shut the car off for a few hours, it will work again. Checked the cabin air filter and it is clean. When it stops working, I've tried all settings - AUTO, Econ, slow fan speed, fast, and NOTHING. How were the other people experiencing the same problem able to fix it?

·
PJSMITH
1,518 Posts
Get the problem reported in a work order at a dealer. Works fine as diagnosis is fine, but document that
YOU have the problem.
Whe it fouls up, fine the nearest dealer and pull in and ask the service manager/writer lead mechanic, etc. to observe. Get the documentation for the observed problem. They can hookup to Toyota scan computer and check problem report?

Make appointment for observed problem. R/R the temp sensor? Their observed problem is then, a problem.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts