Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
J.O.A.T, Master of none
'14 Tacoma DC/LB
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my wife's car to a tire service due to a slow leak.... love these aluminum rim problems. I drove the car home about 5 miles and parked it, I didn't notice any tire pressure alarm. Yesterday my wife drove the car and the tire pressure alarm light is blinking but the problematic tire is still at the proper pressure. What's the chances that the tire shop damaged my TPM sensor, its awful coincidental!

The 2013 doesn't have a means to reset the system manually, they told me to bring it in to have it checked. I'll almost bet that the resolution is "hey, its a 2013, your battery went dead and you need a sensor" while they take no responsibility.

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Camry Base / CE
16,005 Posts
Even if there was a way to manually reset the TPMS, it's not a "reset" as if this was possible no one would ever have TPMS issues. Battery is probably dead and unless you have the tools to diagnose that, you are subject to their whims.

·
J.O.A.T, Master of none
'14 Tacoma DC/LB
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm, I have a OBD2 scan tool, not a dealer version but a typical $50 version. Would those sensors show up on that? I'm guessing not.

·
Registered
16,005 Posts
Hmmm, I have a OBD2 scan tool, not a dealer version but a typical $50 version. Would those sensors show up on that? I'm guessing not.
All depends on the tool.

·
J.O.A.T, Master of none
'14 Tacoma DC/LB
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the situation just got worse! I took it to the tire store that imo caused the issue, they said the battery is dead in the wheel that they just fixed…. Hmmm. The car is a 2013 so I guess there’s no shame in replacing it anyway. They installed a new sensor….$60 for the sensor, and the light still won’t go out! They’ve asked me to come back again on Friday when their TPS guru is in.

I’m losing faith in this place by the minute. they came highly recommended and they do classic car work. I figured they’d be a good place to build a relationship with. So far, not so good.

·
Registered
16,005 Posts
TPMS stuff is easy yet hard. New Toyota's have the ability to setup TPMS without a diagnostic tool but getting the correct sensor is a different issue.

·
Camry Freak
Camry & Accord
2,418 Posts
The TPMS sensors can be troublesome. The lifespan of the sensors is sometimes unpredictable- although I'm pretty sure that they usually last at least seven years. My 2007 Camry only had one fail in nearly fifteen years and 180,000 miles- the other three were fine during our entire time owning the car.

They can also be fragile if the tire shop isn't careful. Have them check all four sensors and then double-check that they programmed them correctly. A flashing TPMS light means that one or more of the sensors isn't communicating with the car... meaning the batteries are either dead, the sensor(s) are broken, or the replacement sensor wasn't programmed correctly.

When my 2007 needed a replacement sensor, the shop accidentally programmed it incorrectly. In 2007 Toyota imported some Camrys from Japan (mine being one of them) and there was a different option that needed to be selected when programming the sensor. The shop accidentally programmed it using the USA-made setting... which didn't work. They tried again using the Japan-made option and it worked. I don't think that Toyota imported any 8th Gen Camrys, but it's something to maybe consider if the shop can't figure it out.

Good luck.

Reactions: Petrol

·
J.O.A.T, Master of none
'14 Tacoma DC/LB
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
98CamryLE, thanks for the reply. Fortunately the only wheel that was touched when this happened was the RF and that’s where the issue lies. The problem morphed after they changed the sensor, my light now blinks a time or two, then stays on steady. My guess is that they didn’t program it correctly. I’m still suspicious that they screwed up the sensor when taking the tire off of the rim.

I’m going back tomorrow when the TPMS guru is in, who knew it was ever necessary to have a TPMS guru on staff… lol. I already know I’m paying $60 for a sensor, let’s see how the labor part plays out.

·
Registered
390 Posts
The tire shop should have a TPMS tool.
I bought one from Tire Rack when I bought my winter tire package.
It can check the codes in the TPMS system and it can also read each sensor in the wheel.
In other words, with this tool, which ANY tire shop should have now-a-days, they should be able to diagnose the problem fairly quickly. The only outlier is a intermittent problem, and we all know that intermittent problems don't surface at the shop.
They should be able to walk around your car and verify if each sensor is working.
Then they should be able to connect at the OBDII port and see what code is stored for whatever error the system had.

·
J.O.A.T, Master of none
'14 Tacoma DC/LB
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They have a tool, apparently the guy using it is a tool also.

Reactions: cb91710

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
5,496 Posts
What's the chances that the tire shop damaged my TPM sensor, its awful coincidental!
I'd put that at 100%.

Flashing light indicates a fault in the system, not a pressure problem.
The tire shop either damaged the sensor, or they were careless and swapped it for a different sensor that was on the bench and your ECU is not reading it.
It is the shop's responsibility to fix it, and it should not cost you a dime.

·
J.O.A.T, Master of none
'14 Tacoma DC/LB
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So it looks like my issue has been resolved. It’s still my opinion that they broke the sensor fixing the tire. They put the new sensor in and obviously the tech didn’t know what he was doing. I went back today and the “guru” was there, it took him less than 5 minutes to get it resolved.

Now comes the important part… the cost. They quoted me $60 for the sensor, I priced one at $45. The car is a ‘13, at 8 years old, the sensor was probably on borrowed time. I was willing to begrudgingly pay for the sensor knowing that it could fail at any time. At the end of the day, the labor was $0 and they charged me $50 for the sensor. I was loaded for bear if there had been any attempt to charge me labor, fortunately I didn’t have to argue. Over all, I’m satisfied with the outcome, yet disappointed that I had to make 3 trips. Fortunately I was off for the thanksgiving holiday, otherwise I’d had to take time off work to get it resolved.

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
5,496 Posts
$50 is reasonable considering you got a new sensor for a car of that age.
They should have taken care of it at no cost both because of the fact that they damaged it, as well as for "good will" (which is a deductible business expense).
That $50 might be the difference between you buying your next set of tires there or not ;)

·
J.O.A.T, Master of none
'14 Tacoma DC/LB
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Agreed, and had that happened to my 18 Camry, I might have been “that guy” on checkout. I’m pretty sure they broke it, rather than make a scene, which when provoked I’ve been known to respectfully do, it would have been a different experience. Hopefully at 8 years old, that’s one less that I’ll have to replace when the day comes.

I recently bought $1,300 worth of tires there for my 2 cars there on a recommendation by a friend. I saved probably $100 over the place I’ve been buying tires for $25 years. I’ve gotta wonder at this point if it was the right move. Charging me only for the sensor, and it appears to be at about cost, earned then one more chance. But like a new job… on probation… lol.

Reactions: cb91710

·
J.O.A.T, Master of none
'14 Tacoma DC/LB
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yep... So monetarily, you netted $50, but your time is worth something as well, so the return trips blew that savings.
I do not disagree!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts