Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

As a family with a couple 4runners, when it came time to get a more fuel efficient car to put some miles on, but have room for the family we picked up a used 2013 Camry SE 4cycl. I didn't get the chance to do much research on the car and after a couple weeks of ownership I'm disappointed in the 23mpgs around town and 26 on the highway we are getting. Something is obviously wrong. The car only has 67k on it and all service records from the dealership and Evans tires. I did notice the oil was a little over filled when I got the car (it ran fine) and Evans tires had put 5w-20 i it so I changed the oil to M1 0-20. Car starts well and seems to drive nicely. Power seems good for a 4 cylinder, but it's the only one I've driven. I'm thinking of changing the plugs and o2 sensors to see fi that helps. Air filter has already been changed and as far as I can tell there are no obstructions in the air intake. Any suggestions are appreciated. I searched this forum and google a fair amount the past week and no luck other then the typical suggestions (af/o2 sensor, air intake, tire pressure...) Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, the car has some milestar tires that are garbage. They are loud and appear to have some flat spots. New tires will be installed eventually.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Too early to replace oxygen sensors. On level ground at 70 mph should be getting around 33-35 MPG running 17" all season low rolling resistance tires. If no check engine light is on you could try a set of new factory original spark plugs like these from ebay. The old plugs could tell you if one or more cylinders have been running a rich fuel mixture. Check dash temperature gauge for a stuck open cooling system thermostat (gauge needle stays near the Cold mark on the dial instead of being 1/3rd the way up the dial like it should be).

·
Registered
492 Posts
Based on your post, you've only owned the Camry for 2 weeks. How are you determining the "city" mpg and the "highway" mpg? If you are using the mpg that shows when you turn off the car, that can be inaccurate. I would start with basic things especially since you are not getting any "check engine" lights.

Check the pressure in your tires (32-35 psi; more is not better with the SE suspension). Manually calculate the mpg based on a full tank of gas (divide the miles driven by gallons of gas pumped). Do that for the next 3 fill-ups and see what you get.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Based on your post, you've only owned the Camry for 2 weeks. How are you determining the "city" mpg and the "highway" mpg? If you are using the mpg that shows when you turn off the car, that can be inaccurate. I would start with basic things especially since you are not getting any "check engine" lights.

Check the pressure in your tires (32-35 psi; more is not better with the SE suspension). Manually calculate the mpg based on a full tank of gas (divide the miles driven by gallons of gas pumped). Do that for the next 3 fill-ups and see what you get.
Car was used for a full day of highway driving during it's first week and returned 25.8 mpg at best. Just this morning I filled up after mostly around town use and returned 20.7 mpg. The mpg gauge on the dash shows 23.7 mpg.

Things checked so far:
tires pressure
oil (new Mobile1 0-20 installed)
air filter (new STP paper filter installed)
basic visual inspection of intake and exhaust systems: no obvious problems found (blockages, crushed pipe, etc.)
cleaned MAF with MAF cleaner
car seems to heat up quickly and stay at temp (bar sits just to the cold side of middle)

To do:
New plugs (NGK Iridium just purchased to be installed later today or tomorrow)
More thorough inspection of intake system to rule out a blockage
replace o2 sensors
clean TB

I should add their is a distinct humming sound that the car makes a little over 70mph. I can tell some of the tires have flat spots so I attribute it to this. If I'm parked and rev the motor in neutral I don't hear the sound. I'm truly perplexed with the MPG issue. My best guess is a sensor is off so the computer is in some safety mode and dumping excessive fuel into the motor, but I would think this would throw a code. I hooked up my code reader to confirm there is no code and it came up empty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also have not smelled gas or sulfur that might be associated with a bad sensor or leaking fuel delivery.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I would recommend just manually figuring out and noting what MPG you get and just compare what you get within the next couple of fill ups. That is what I have been doing and they tend to be similar.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 20.7 and 25.8 are manual calculations during near full tank fillips (car was close to empty when getting gas). Additionally, my wife filled the car up once on the road trip and she calculated 24mpg after all highway miles. I'll continue to manually calculate the mpg, but I'm fairly certain something is wrong with the current fuel consumption. My old e36 M3 got better gas mileage than this Camry.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a ScangauageII in my 17 Camry and it calculates the mpg for full empty tank of gas, after calibrating it I get 2mpg more on the ScangauageII than the Toyota computation. With the Scanguage you can see the actual coolant temperature and volts instead of just a dial gauge in the dash. I have these in all my vehicles and find the information they provide extremely helpful.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very cool. That might be nice to have.

So far the new air filter, oil change, new plugs, disconnecting the battery to reset the computer have not had an effect as far as I can tell. I've only done about 20 miles after the plugs and resetting the computer so too early to truly say on that one, but if the onboard mpg gauge is any indicator I'm still at that 20 mpg mark for around town use. O2 sensors are in the mail... I'll wait through another tank of gas before installing them.

To update something I mentioned above, my coolant temp quickly moves to dead center (I previously said it was one click to the left of center). So as far as I can tell the thermostat is operating correctly.

I also forgot to mention that when I change the oil I verified that each wheel is turning freely. To my knowledge I don't have a caliper with stuck pistons or something causing excessive brake drag. When off the gas coasting the car seems to glide nicely.

·
Registered
442 Posts
yeah 23mpg sounds about right for mostly city driving with some a/c on a 4 cylinder. i hand calculate my mpg upon fill up since brand new. i am dissappointed compared to my v6 venza that gets about 20mpg. better mpg can be had. the 07 corolla does 30mpg.

·
Registered
334 Posts
OK....if you have old tires, as you indicated, the humming sound is quite likely from them.
Fuel economy......I have come close in my computations to what the car computer readout is.

I have a 2016 SE that has the display between the speedometer and tachometer.
This display lets me keep a running tally that I can reset and count average fuel economy until I reset it.

The average fuel economy from startup to shutdown......this starts low and counts up the longer I am going before I shut the car down.
It will count up to a nice level and stop as I drive.
I drive about 14 miles to and from work each day....almost all freeway.
If I am SUPER careful, I can get 30mpg on that readout.
Driving longer, being careful (which is keeping my foot off the accelerator and letting the cruise control do its thing.....and keeping it 70mph or lower).....I can get close to 40mpg on level ground and no stop and go driving.
70mpg can impact me by as much as 2mpg or less vs 65mpg.
However, 65mpg in a 70mpg speed zone can get folks upset with you if there is much traffic....so unless traffic is really light....I'm at the speed limit.....which still upsets some people.
LONGER trips are MUCH better for your car vs shorter trips, particularly in winter in cold weather areas.

I guess that one point that I am making is that you will not get your most ideal MPG if you are not going for less than, say 30 minutes at a time.
Also if you are not in traffic conditions that have you using the brake and accelerator....... you will do well in the MPG goal as well.
I just have the original spark plugs, OE (Toyota) air filter, etc.
The 2016 has a lot of plastic panels under it to reduce wind drag also.

I have used Redline fuel system cleaner from time to time and prefer to use "Top Tier" gas stations when convenient.
Top Tier stations should have more detergents in their fuel vs non-Top Tier.
I don't stress out about not using Top Tier if it is not convenient.
With fuel system cleaners.....best to put them in when you are NOT on a trip.....
Longer in the tank is better because the detergents have longer in the whole fuel system to SOAK and do their work.

OE spark plugs should be good for over 100K miles.
I would stick with OE some of these "performance" plugs have smaller electrodes....and don't last as long.
I read up on the "thin wire" performance plugs for the 2003 Sienna that I had......same brand as OE...
In the FINE print that I found on the Denso website (not out there that you could find easily), these performance plugs were rated for "up to" 30K miles.....vs "up to" 120K miles that the OE were rated for.
Replacing the coil on plug spark plugs in my 2003 Sienna required removal of the upper intake manifold.......a lot of work that I would not want to do more than I needed to.
So....in short, don't fall for the sales pitch.

Also, don't fall for the sales pitch about "cold air intake"....your Camry already has that from the factory.
What these aftermarket intake systems "can" do is boost performance.......faster acceleration is NOT improved fuel economy.....2 different goals there.
The sensors and computer will maintain the ideal air fuel mix for ideal fuel economy....getting MORE air in is not going to improve fuel economy (unless something has gone WRONG with the stock system).

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I have a ScangauageII in my 17 Camry and it calculates the mpg for full empty tank of gas, after calibrating it I get 2mpg more on the ScangauageII than the Toyota computation. With the Scanguage you can see the actual coolant temperature and volts instead of just a dial gauge in the dash. I have these in all my vehicles and find the information they provide extremely helpful.
Scangauge can read many things. You can custom program more readings through the Xgauge feature. It can also read CEL codes.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Fill car up. Reset all trip info and set timer. Run car empty. Refill.
Post the miles driven, the time the engine was running, and the gallons needed to refill.

Engine run time is needed to calculate average speed. If average speed is low, or if run time per tank is high, then there is NOTHING that you can do to improve MPG, other than trading in for a Prius or Leaf.

I would fun a few bottles of FI cleaner(Redline, Techron, Amsoil, Regane) at your next couple fuel station trips.
I would check the COLD tire PSI and make sure its 32-35 all around.

And, I would get a good set of Michelin, Goodyear, Bridgestone greenie eco tractionless MPG tires, if no snow is in your future, since MPG tires don't do well when trolling thru foul weather.

Since the car is 6+ years old, I would replace the thermostat, rad cap, coolant... regardless of the non-linear idiotproof dash temp gauge.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts