Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thought I would make a build tread. I bought my new 2013 Camry SE on Aug. 15 in Magnetic Gray Metallic and I love it; this is the first new car that I have ever bought. I have done a few minor mods to her already and I have few more planned. This thread is not going to be done for a while.

Mods
LED interior lights
LED backup lights
LED license plate light
LED trunk light
LED DRL/high beam bulb
LED exterior door handle lights
LED shifter light
LED front parking/blinker switchback bulbs
LED rear blinkers
LED footwell lighting
Illuminated door sills
Mercedes style LED DRL
Front Cup holder accent lighting
XenonDepot Volt 6000K HID Headlights
Nokya Hyper Yellow 2500K fog lights
Yellow tint fogs
Backup camera
JL Audio W3 12 inch sub with Alpine amp
Eibach Pro kit drop springs
WeatherTech floor mats
Lexus ES trunk hinge covers
20 mm spacers on the rear wheels.

Future mods
Mirror blinker
exhaust
intake, maybe
Dezod headers
sway bars
19" wheels
Airbag suspension
custom sound system
headlight retrofit - may do something with fiber optics, RX350 Bi-Xenon, Gatling gun style shroud w/ background lighting

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
where did you get your DRLs/high beams & Backup LEDs?
I got all the LED lighting on Amazon. You could also get them from a lot of websites but I got them from Amazon because they were cheaper. The DRLs/high beams are 9005 and the backup lights are 194/168. A lot of the bulbs on the Camry are 168 so buy yourself a pack with a lot of them and your set.

There is a thread in the How-to section on how to do them and what to buy.

That looks awesome! The new lights look so classy.
I know right! I love the look of them, so clean and pure looking. The pure white light changes the whole mood of the interior. This is such an easy mod and suggest for everyone.

·
Registered
2012 Camry SE I-4
2,263 Posts
That is true but you can also use 194/168 bulb. The only difference is the bulb portion is a little bigger on the 921. The base is the same.
what about the light intensity? would 921 be better than the 194/168 because of the size?

·
It's Official
16 Tundra, 14 RAV4,
8,848 Posts
That is true but you can also use 194/168 bulb. The only difference is the bulb portion is a little bigger on the 921. The base is the same.
what about the light intensity? would 921 be better than the 194/168 because of the size?
Yea dyapanis your exactly right. Why would anybody use a 194/168 in place of a 921? The 921's are going to have more lumens since they are bigger. They can have a more LEDs and can be more powerful. To say the back up lights are 194 is wrong. The base is the same but if the bulb you took out was a 921, then you should put a 921 in, which is why I said its a 921. I was just clarifying for you and for anybody else who might not know as much. I would hate for a person to buy the 194s for the reverse lights when they should have bought 921 LED bulbs. :thumbsup:

EDIT: for example, looking at VLEDs, their best forward firing LED bulb in a 194/168 is 2 watts, while the 921 360 degree firing LED bulbs are right at 8 watts, pumping 370 lumens. Thats no comparison, which is why if your going to buy reverse LED bulbs, you should be buying 921's.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok well allow me to clarify a bit more. I am strictly talking in terms of LED bulbs not in terms of the stock type halogen bulb. There is no problem with using what I suggested when it comes to an LED bulb. You just have to look for what you want. The 194 bulb that I ordered is pretty damn bright, a lot brighter then stock. Now I have a couple left over to use for my foot well lighting.
I don't want to this to turn out to be a back and forth argument about lighting. I bought and used 194/168 LED bulbs because I could order them in bulk and they fit 80% of the accessory lighting positions. Just have to do a little homework and you will be fine.

·
Registered
2010 Camry
157 Posts
I did the same to my 2010 Camry but I got a different color in some areas. The led on the doors and dome I got them blue. Map light, reverse, and plate lights have a white led. I don't have trunk cuz I always wanted to put 2 sticky led panels and I have never gotten around to doing it so that still has stock bulb. I have 6000k hids but I've grown tired of them. I want pure white like a 5000k.

·
Dedicated SE Guy
2012 Camry SE
58 Posts
Do I need load resistors with these on the 2012 Camry? I know turn signal LED's do, but what about brake and backup LED's? I'm a bit confused...

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do I need load resistors with these on the 2012 Camry? I know turn signal LED's do, but what about brake and backup LED's? I'm a bit confused...
No resistors needed for any of the light I did. You need them for the blinkers as the car may think you have one out.

If doing the brake light make sure to use a red LED bulbs instead of white. If you use white LEDs, the white light will mix with the red lens and make it look pink.

Just make sure you get the right bulb and you all set. Superbrightleds.com has a good car specific guide on the bulbs you will need. Weather you buy them from there or not is your choice. Like I said earlier I bought mine from Amazon because they where cheaper.

·
Dedicated SE Guy
2012 Camry SE
58 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. That's just what I needed!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Got a few LEDs in from SuperBrightLEDs.com. Got a few little dot SMDs in cool white to do exterior handle lights and interior storage lights. These are flat LEDS, small, low profile, and have a flat wire coming off them so you can run the wire with little notice. Also got four 194 sockets so I can hook up some footwell lighting. Pics below.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A couple days ago I finally got to install my exterior door handle lights. I say finally cuz I ordered them at the beginning of the month and they arrived within a a couple days but I have been working and extremely busy for the past few weeks. They took about two days to complete, trail and error. The bitch part of this is getting the wires through the rubber hose that all the stock door wires go through. Also, on the b-pillar they used a connector right at the metal that fits perfectly in the hole so I had figure out how to pass the wire through. Other then that is was running about 70 feet of wire and figuring out what wires to tap into. I have DirtyBird to thank for that one. The lights fade in and out with the dome light but don't come on when you turn the dome light on. It is a simple mod but very time consuming and tedious. Now on to the pics.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.