Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Camry SE
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I have a 2013 SE with the stock headunit / sound system. The standard 8 speakers (No JBL).

I’m currently in the process of upgrading my head unit to either an Alpine ILX-W650 or Sony XAV-AV5000.
The alpine has RMS signal of 18 watts and the Sony has 22 watts.

Does anyone know the RMS wattage of the stock speakers and what they are able to handle? What is the output of the the stock headunit? I like the Alpine but if the speakers can handle more then 18 watts, I’d rather get the Sony.

I know I can just get an Amp and upgrade the speakers in general, but that’s not the plan today, just trying to maximize the power of the stock speakers.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
If upgrading on a budget, get the best headunit and don't worry about the speakers/amps until the budget allows that upgrade.

I usually pick Alpine... with Kenwood/Pioneer/Sony/... in 2nd place because Alpine sounds the best to my old ears so I don't care what the wattage is. Make sure the headunit has all the features and compatibility that you want, which are more important than the wattage. Wattage can be cured with an amplifier. Features require a new headunit. My last Alpine head unit connected to Sony amps and JL speakers. It was perfection!

Stock speakers are junk. So, budget for their replacements and an amplifier. I wouldn't waste that much money on a head unit and not have an amplifier. The real question to answer is, how LOUD DO YOU LISTEN TO YOUR TUNES?

Both seem to be solid choices. It kills me that the volume knob has become obsolete.

Crappy amp doesn't destroy speakers. Moron owners not understanding how to use the volume buttons kill speakers.

Sony's headunit has more power, almost as much as some entry level amps. If no amp is in your future, I'd get the Sony and enjoy cooking the stock speakers with too much volume. I was a little surprised that other brands didn't upgrade to high power efficient class-d chips in their head units.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts