Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys
I was in a car accident and do not want to give away my car for parts beacause I want to keep the car and fix it. Can you guys help me with fixing it? I was also thinknig of cconverting it to elecctric so this seems like a good opportunity.

Please give your experienced advice. I dont even know how to spell car mechanic, so forget fixing it myself.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light
Tire Wheel Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle
Car Automotive parking light Wheel Land vehicle Tire
Rectangle Font Parallel Number Screenshot

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Camry Base / CE
16,189 Posts
No one can help you fix it except yourself and the body shop. All the airbags went off and those are your BIGGEST issue. Your radiator is leaking and we can't see the damage under the hood.

So here is the question, what can YOU do? What can YOU do repair it? What TOOLS do YOU have? What SKILLS do YOU have? How much MONEY do YOU have? What CONTACTS do YOU have? What RESOURCES do YOU have? Can you even DETERMINE what COMPONENTS are DAMAGED?

Unless you have these things, it's totaled. It's a goner. It's a total loss.

·
Slow AF
2012 Matrix
414 Posts
I was also thinknig of cconverting it to elecctric so this seems like a good opportunity.

Please give your experienced advice. I dont even know how to spell car mechanic, so forget fixing it myself.
Both your statements are concerning.
Converting to all electric is a huge undertaking. If you don't know what your doing your going to have an extremely hard time with this "conversion"

If your Insurance deems it a total loss then your out of luck. Chances are your frame is bent too, as most cars are designed to crumple to keep you safe in an accident.

Bascially your car is no longer safe and its a liability, personally id drop this idea as its not feasible nor is it even a good idea to try and attempt.

My opinion, your better off buying a Prius and modifying it to make it "better", that will also give you an opportunity to learn more about electric cars.

But in the end..... Take the insurance payout and call it a day. Go buy a newer Toyota. Or get the same gen corolla if you love these ones.

Sent from my SM-G998W using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
15,065 Posts
Here's your options. With a $12k plus total repair bill, you could buy it back from the insurance company and go through the repairs yourself. The issue with this, is the repairs are beyond your skill set, you may realize that it was easier to just take the payout from the insurance company.

Doing a electric car conversion is something I have no experience in. This requires knowledge of electricity and high voltage knowledge/experience.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't fix it, but depending on your timeline, it could be a few years to fix it than buying another.

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
5,570 Posts
With that front end damage, it's too far gone.
The insurance payout is fair market, and honestly, for a 2013, $12k is VERY generous... you can thank the current insane used car market for that.
I got $13k for my 2016 when it was totaled last May.

If you decide to keep it, you will have to pay your insurance company the salvage value... and then you are going to be left with a wrecked hulk that you will probably never be able to get insurance on, and it will always have a "branded" title, so you'll have trouble reselling it.

Yes, you love the car... but since you can't do the work yourself, repair of that, and especially a conversion to electric, is going to cost far more than what it would cost to just go to the dealer and buy a Corolla Hybrid.

·
Registered
2022 4Runner SR5, 2013 Corolla CE
193 Posts
It would be cheaper to take the insurance money and buy a Tesla than to rebuild that into an electric car.

·
Registered
Corolla, Camry, Tundra, Camry, Avalon, Highlander, Venza, Highlander
4,403 Posts
Forum has gone to hell quickly. Anyone else notice the numerous foolish threads being started? Once it was a few and now its numerous.

·
Registered
16,189 Posts
Forum has gone to hell quickly. Anyone else notice the numerous foolish threads being started? Once it was a few and now its numerous.
Just a normal day. But yes, plenty of one time OP's and more than plenty of "I want a sleeper" threads. Question now is are these newbies who know nothing, newbies who played video games, newbies with some car knowledge, or newbies who understand what they want is near impossible.

·
Registered
16,189 Posts

·
Registered
16,189 Posts
Thread about stress cracks. No other info.

Yes, that one too. Also, the thread about the child seat covers really?
The child seat restraints is reasonable.

·
Slow AF
2012 Matrix
414 Posts
Just a normal day. But yes, plenty of one time OP's and more than plenty of "I want a sleeper" threads. Question now is are these newbies who know nothing, newbies who played video games, newbies with some car knowledge, or newbies who understand what they want is near impossible.
Could be that. I think alot of these posts are teens getting their first car and looking for help with them but have zero idea how to explain what they need or want. Or even know what's wrong.

That or someone is using these forums to train algorithms/bots.

·
Registered
16,189 Posts
Could be that. I think alot of these posts are teens getting their first car and looking for help with them but have zero idea how to explain what they need or want. Or even know what's wrong.

That or someone is using these forums to train algorithms/bots.

Both. All it takes is watching some Motor Trend On Demand or Youtube Car Channels and you will learn plenty that you sure ain't got the skills to do this.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Hopefully OP can do it. Go!

If you manage to fabricate an electric motor swap. Please start on the rear axle because 2003-2014 we share the same rear end. I’ll have you know that the AWD Matrixes have rear hubs that can accept axles. Just need to figure out a motor that fits on there. And electrical.

Get that far and then tag me on here. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
5,570 Posts
Or previously banned members......

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.