Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2013 TAH
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 2013 TAH from the original owner, that turned over 70K miles. Outstanding TAH!
I want to replace the spark plugs, which are Denso FK16HR-A8; they look original. MPG is good, just want to make it better.
What is the recommended spark plug brand and number?
Thanks!

·
7,490 Posts
Denso FK16HR-A8
Or, their NGK equivalent, iridium tipped.
They are good for 100 000 miles, how many on yours?
I'd VERY caution from making any vehicle "better". All my attempts in that direction never lead to anything real good. Avalon is good as is.

I'd also replace ATF fluid. That I would.

·
Registered
2013 TAH
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2013 TAH Spark Plugs

Thanks for your reply.
I have 70K on the TAH now. Will any of the Denso iridium tipped plugs work, or must it be the long life?
When I said make the car better, I meant changing the plugs now and not waiting until 100K.
Thanks for the advice concerning ATF.

·
Registered
2018 Prius Four Touring, 2018 Prius Two, 2014 Avalon Hybrid
541 Posts
ukrkoz: Advice, please. In your experience, is there a time limit for replacing spark plugs? 100k miles for some might take 6-8 years, and I'd be worried about the plugs seizing in the cylinder head.

My 2005 Tundra V8, I changed at around 60k miles, 6 years, and they did NOT want to come out easily.

Is there an industry standard for spark plug removal based on age, vs. mileage?

·
Registered
541 Posts
2014 TAH, 109,500 miles. First time spark plug change, 3/8" drive, 6" extension. Stayed with Denso Iridium OEM plugs. No issues removing them. The large rubber gaskets between the coil and the cylinder head were in perfect condition. Original plugs looked very, very clean, hardly any white buildup, no obvious wear on electrodes.

The ONLY issue I had was with each plug, my spark plug socket kept pulling free from the extension, and was reluctant to come out of the the hole. My magnetic tool wasn't strong enough to hold onto it. Ultimately, I used a long narrow flat-blade screwdriver, carefully wiggled the top of the socket back and forth, and I was finally able to remove it.

·
Registered
321 Posts
2014 TAH, 109,500 miles. First time spark plug change, 3/8" drive, 6" extension. Stayed with Denso Iridium OEM plugs. No issues removing them. The large rubber gaskets between the coil and the cylinder head were in perfect condition. Original plugs looked very, very clean, hardly any white buildup, no obvious wear on electrodes.

The ONLY issue I had was with each plug, my spark plug socket kept pulling free from the extension, and was reluctant to come out of the the hole. My magnetic tool wasn't strong enough to hold onto it. Ultimately, I used a long narrow flat-blade screwdriver, carefully wiggled the top of the socket back and forth, and I was finally able to remove it.
You can prevent the socket from pulling free from the extension by taping the socket to the extension beforehand with electrical tape. After the job is finished you can remove the electrical tape.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Why didn't you tell me this prior to me doing the job?????? DUH!!!!!:)

·
Registered
321 Posts
Why didn't you tell me this prior to me doing the job?????? DUH!!!!!:)
I did the same as you many times before I thought of taping the socket to the extension, at which time I also thought: why didn't I think of this sooner?

·
Registered
541 Posts
...and in another 100k miles, I'll START the job w/o using the tape, drop the socket, do a facepalm, and THEN remember your advice...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts