1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

>
[*] 2013 Toyota RAV4 Spy Photos - Future Cars
[/LIST]

Toyota's next-gen compact crossover will face stiff competition.

What It Is: An extensively camouflaged prototype of the next-generation Toyota RAV4 compact crossover, the current version of which debuted in 2006. The RAV4 was mildly refreshed for 2009, but it’s ripe for a redesign. These spy photos show that the next RAV4 is going to change quite a bit from its current form and move closer to the crossover mainstream.

Why It Matters: The compact-crossover segment is a cash cow, and despite its age, the RAV4 still is one of the more popular offerings out there. When the RAV4 first went on sale in the U.S. in 1996, it was a quirky little SUV powered by a tiny four-cylinder engine. Each successive generation of the RAV4, however, has grown larger and heavier. The contemporary RAV4 can be had with a hairy-chested 3.5-liter V-6 that puts out 269 hp, and a third row of seats is available. The next iteration of the crossover, however, will need to compete with the new Ford Escape, the Mazda CX-5, as well as the venerable Honda CR-V. That means it will need to retain a roomy cabin but deliver the fuel economy buyers facing down $4-a-gallon gasoline expect.

Platform: Based on these spy photos, don’t be surprised if the new RAV4 arrives on a modified version of the current model’s platform. That’s because in addition to some drastic stylistic changes, it looks like a size increase may be in store for the 2013 as well. Although most of the car in the photos is covered up, the sweeping roofline and fast windshield make it clear that the new RAV4 will abandon its off-road pretensions and embrace its crossover roots.
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2013-toyota-rav4-spy-photos-future-cars

Meh, all I see is a taller Camry.... I keed I keed...

"Toyota's next-gen compact crossover will face stiff competition"

No shit, it already faces some tough competition.

·
Newbie One Kanobi
2003 Toyota ECHO!!
8,798 Posts
Gross! Ugly! You mean its going to exactly going to look like this? See VMAX I don't just hate Honduh:lol::lol::thumbsup:

Anyway it does enter a very competitive market for sure. THe CR-V took the crown for now, but you have the CX-5 and the new Escape. But the RAV4 is holding its own despite its age granted sales are down.

Its about time they update this car!

·
Avalon Enthusiast
Avalon
311 Posts
I really don't see the need for a v6 in a small suv like the Rav4. If you want a fast car, get a sports car...

Not sure why Toyota doesn't offer a 6 speed or at the very least a 5 speed. I also hope it doesn't look like a camry on a higher platform.

·
Save The Manuals
1999 Avalon XLS
1,837 Posts
I like the V6 in the RAV4. It's a real sleeper for sure.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
No V6? I remember back when we bought our Outlander, the Toyota dealer only had the I4s and tried to say a V6 was too much motor for the car. Riiiight, might be when you only have one person but when you're hauling four family members and their luggage you'll want the power. Here's hoping it has some style to it, maybe a more aggressive look to it like the Evoque and Outlander. Current one looks like a blob.

·
Registered
1986 Toyota Cressida
4,512 Posts
Despite losing the V6 it should be enough if given the new Camry's engine. I think its also not too many bought a V6 RAV4. Shame, because it was I think the fastest accelerating one with its 0-60 in under 7. Not even the fastest CUV I've driven the CX-7 turbo does it in under 7.

I really don't see the need for a v6 in a small suv like the Rav4. If you want a fast car, get a sports car...
Normally I agree but there are a lot of Crossovers offered with 4-cylinders where they're totally inadequate. The Jeep Compass/Patriot, both small CUVs...but both horribly slow despite having the largest Caliber engine(not to mention both really suck). The horrible Dodge Journey with a 4-cylinder...0-60 in over 10 seconds...a Yaris is faster, maybe even the old Prius. The outgoing boxy Ford Escape, when it had the 2.3L it was also slow, just not as slow as a Journey.

I'll also note when slow vehicles struggle to accelerate to driving speed, they're less efficient as they're wasting so much power just moving the vehicle. Case in point 3.7L V6 Dodge Dakota, one of the slowest trucks I've driven, I can't even take it 40 kms without it emptying at least 10L. Did the same trip in a GMC Sierra 6.0L V8 and the Dodge Ram 5.7L Hemi V8 they emptied only 6L, keep in mind this is the city where the big trucks are at their worst.

·
11,342 Posts
Despite losing the V6 it should be enough if given the new Camry's engine. I think its also not too many bought a V6 RAV4. Shame, because it was I think the fastest accelerating one with its 0-60 in under 7. Not even the fastest CUV I've driven the CX-7 turbo does it in under 7.

Normally I agree but there are a lot of Crossovers offered with 4-cylinders where they're totally inadequate. The Jeep Compass/Patriot, both small CUVs...but both horribly slow despite having the largest Caliber engine(not to mention both really suck). The horrible Dodge Journey with a 4-cylinder...0-60 in over 10 seconds...a Yaris is faster, maybe even the old Prius. The outgoing boxy Ford Escape, when it had the 2.3L it was also slow, just not as slow as a Journey.

I'll also note when slow vehicles struggle to accelerate to driving speed, they're less efficient as they're wasting so much power just moving the vehicle. Case in point 3.7L V6 Dodge Dakota, one of the slowest trucks I've driven, I can't even take it 40 kms without it emptying at least 10L. Did the same trip in a GMC Sierra 6.0L V8 and the Dodge Ram 5.7L Hemi V8 they emptied only 6L, keep in mind this is the city where the big trucks are at their worst.

Rav4 with the 6 was, but those who wanted it had to be upgrade to more expensive trim levels/packages some which boosted the price close to if not over 30K. The vehicles you mentioned with the 4 cylinders that were slow were probably marketed to buyers who did not have a lot of money to spend and wanted decent fuel economy and/or were just using them for city use with little highway or long distance travelling, thought, Ironically, one of the slowest vehicles of this ilk, ever, the Volkswagen Bus/Vanagon was taken on long trips, but that was the exception.

·
Registered
1986 Toyota Cressida
4,512 Posts
It is, but wasn't the 6 a tight fit?
Most modern cars have relatively cramped engine bays. The days of the long hoods are long gone. Not even cars with the FR layout have much benefit here anymore. Still I don't think anybody can top the Nissan 300ZX TT in terms cramped engine bays, a case of an engine that barely fit.

Rav4 with the 6 was, but those who wanted it had to be upgrade to more expensive trim levels/packages some which boosted the price close to if not over 30K. The vehicles you mentioned with the 4 cylinders that were slow were probably marketed to buyers who did not have a lot of money to spend and wanted decent fuel economy and/or were just using them for city use with little highway or long distance travelling, thought, Ironically, one of the slowest vehicles of this ilk, ever, the Volkswagen Bus/Vanagon was taken on long trips, but that was the exception.
Not true, Toyota.com website says a 2WD base V6 RAV4 is $24,685 vs the 4-cylinder which is $22,650. In all trim levels its offered and only 2K more than the 4-cylinder.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Here's an article from Motor Trend saying the samething about no option on a V6. That's sad because that would be the only reason why I personally would buy one. My wife want's a Venza but wouldn't mine looking at the 2013 Rav4 if it has the V6.
Wide Open Throttle

RAV I-4 Only? Redesigned 2013 Toyota RAV4 May Drop V-6 Engine Option, Third Row

Written by: Motor Trend Staff on April 18 2012 9:00 AM
http://wot.motortrend.com/rav-i-4-only-redesigned-2013-toyota-rav4-may-drop-v-6-engine-option-third-row-191657.html#http://wot.motortrend.com/rav-i-4-only-redesigned-2013-toyota-rav4-may-drop-v-6-engine-option-third-row-191657.html#
[URL="http://wot.motortrend.com/rav-i-4-only-redesigned-2013-toyota-rav4-may-drop-v-6-engine-option-third-row-191657.html#"]8[/URL] http://wot.motortrend.com/rav-i-4-only-redesigned-2013-toyota-rav4-may-drop-v-6-engine-option-third-row-191657.html#

The 2013 Toyota RAV4 will enter a reinvigorated compact crossover scene once it hits showrooms, likely in the fall of this year. And when it does, don’t be surprised to see the swift RAV4 V-6 variant dropped, potentially bringing the Toyota SUV more in line with the popular Honda CR-V, which has only ever had one four-cylinder engine option in the U.S.
These renderings preview what we might see from the 2013 Toyota RAV4, which should join newly redesigned vehicles like the 2013 Venza and 2012 Camry in featuring a stretched grille connecting refreshed headlights. New wheel options will freshen the profile view, but it’s inside compact crossover customers should be in for a major update. While the 2012 Toyota RAV4 already offers the automaker’s connectivity system, Entune, the redone 2013 model will showcase the system in an interior with improved materials.
What’s unclear at this point is whether the RAV4′s third row of seating will remain on the options list. The Ford Escape and Honda CR-V — two class leaders by volume — make do without it, though a third row could distinguish the Toyota from others in the class.
Otherwise, expect minor tweaks to the carryover platform. Currently, a 2012 RAV4 with the 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine is good for 179 hp at 6000 rpm and 172 lb-ft of torque…and is mated to a four-speed automatic transmission. With a more modern transmission, the 2013 RAV4 should easily cross 30 mpg highway in EPA testing; the 2012 model in front-drive form is rated 22/28 mpg city/highway.
The future of a potential 2013 Toyota RAV4 hybrid model is uncertain. One source suggests such a model will debut this fall alongside the regular 2013 RAV4 while another wonders why Toyota would debut a RAV4 hybrid before a Venza hybrid, which could command higher prices. Until we get official details on the 2013 Toyota RAV4, however, take a closer look at these renderings and let us know what you want to see from the revised RAV4 crossover.
Illustrations by Scott Olsen
#gallery-1 { margin: auto; } #gallery-1 .gallery-item { float: left; margin-top: 10px; text-align: center; width: 50%; } #gallery-1 img { border: 2px solid #cfcfcf; } #gallery-1 .gallery-caption { margin-left: 0; }

&ltscript src=http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/motortrend.primedia.com/community_blogs_;abr=!ie;abr=!aol;!category=community;page=rav-i-4-only-redesigned-2013-toyota-rav4-may-drop-v-6-engine-option-third-row-191657.html;sect=community;subs=blogs;subss=;make=Toyota;model=RAV4;year=2012;trim=;cpo=false;article_id=;source_id=;camp_id=;sp=;rb=;site=motortrend;chan=autos;k=;kw=;entry=true;sz=1x2;tile=5;ord=56338;&gt&lt/script&gt

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Written by: Motor Trend Staff on April 18 2012 9:00 AM

http://wot.motortrend.com/rav-i-4-only-redesigned-2013-toyota-rav4-may-drop-v-6-engine-option-third-row-191657.html#8

The 2013 Toyota RAV4 will enter a reinvigorated compact crossover scene once it hits showrooms, likely in the fall of this year. And when it does, don’t be surprised to see the swift RAV4 V-6 variant dropped, potentially bringing the Toyota SUV more in line with the popular Honda CR-V, which has only ever had one four-cylinder engine option in the U.S.
These renderings preview what we might see from the 2013 Toyota RAV4,

Those renderings look too much like the old rav4. I didn't think it looked like the old rav at all.

Also, there is talk of a hybrid Rav4.

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,465 Posts
A hybrid Rav4? What's the point?

No V6 option? At least offer a turbo with that I-4 Toyota.

Honestly though, I do hope they don't give that grille the green light. It screams, "CHEAP", because it looks similar to the Yaris' grille. Me no like. They're starting to follow Acura in the ugly grille competition. At least it's not overly done like Acura.

·
straight cash homie
19,524 Posts

Honestly though, I do hope they don't give that grille the green light. It screams, "CHEAP", because it looks similar to the Yaris' grille. Me no like. They're starting to follow Acura in the ugly grille competition. At least it's not overly done like Acura.
Perhaps Toyota is gunning for the CR-V's spot...will it ever happen? So far, Honda has been at the top for quite some time, and the RAV4 has never outsold the CR-V.

·
Vivir el momento
Corolla
18,784 Posts
Perhaps Toyota is gunning for the CR-V's spot...will it ever happen? So far, Honda has been at the top for quite some time, and the RAV4 has never outsold the CR-V.
They have the potential. As long as Toyota keeps beating out their new designs with ugly sticks and charging more for less content they should be well on their way. :D

·
11,342 Posts
Most modern cars have relatively cramped engine bays. The days of the long hoods are long gone. Not even cars with the FR layout have much benefit here anymore. Still I don't think anybody can top the Nissan 300ZX TT in terms cramped engine bays, a case of an engine that barely fit.

Not true, Toyota.com website says a 2WD base V6 RAV4 is $24,685 vs the 4-cylinder which is $22,650. In all trim levels its offered and only 2K more than the 4-cylinder.

I see, I believe when the V-6 was first offered it was only available in the higher Limited(?) trim levels which were expensive. I guess Honda's success with the CR-V prompted some changes.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Why a Hybrid? CAFE and have you seen toyota's day's supply on hybrids? They can't keep them in stock, any model.

I didn't see the grill, just a profile, but it looked nothing like the rendering.

·
straight cash homie
19,524 Posts
They have the potential. As long as Toyota keeps beating out their new designs with ugly sticks and charging more for less content they should be well on their way. :D
Honestly, the new CR-V actually is packaged better than the last ones. You can get a decently equipped EX model (no nav or rear entertainment) for around 25-26K. Of course, pricing a CX5, a fully loaded FWD Touring with HIDs and the works and no leather only costs a grand more.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts