Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On the 2014 Corolla L my pops just picked up with 24k miles, 6-speed I've noticed he's been having trouble with first gear in getting the car going, either over revving and or not enough throttle and jumpy starts with too much clutch.

So I drove it, and both of use being previous manual drivers, I have to say, it's weird. Trying to make sure the previous owner didn't destroy this clutch and everything is operating normal, just different than we're used to.

Is there a way to adjust the clutch grab? Is it normal for the clutch to engage with the pedal almost fully depressed?
With the light clutch pedal and the fully out clutch engagement, it's pretty awkward to drive.

If this is the case of it all being normal, any tips and tricks you guys have figured out to getting smooth starts and shifts?

·
Registered
2015 Corolla s
801 Posts
On the 2014 Corolla L my pops just picked up with 24k miles, 6-speed I've noticed he's been having trouble with first gear in getting the car going, either over revving and or not enough throttle and jumpy starts with too much clutch.

So I drove it, and both of use being previous manual drivers, I have to say, it's weird. Trying to make sure the previous owner didn't destroy this clutch and everything is operating normal, just different than we're used to.

Is there a way to adjust the clutch grab? Is it normal for the clutch to engage with the pedal almost fully depressed?
With the light clutch pedal and the fully out clutch engagement, it's pretty awkward to drive.

If this is the case of it all being normal, any tips and tricks you guys have figured out to getting smooth starts and shifts?

11Th generetion Corolla use a hydraulic clutch ther is no cable and like hydraulic brakes if ther is air ihe system ther will have some issues. If it the case you have to bleed hydraulic clutch to adjust clutch grap.

There are a couple problems that can cause the clutch to slip. Most common is hydraulic issues, worn or damaged clutch. In case ove a worn or damaged clutch you have to install a new clutch. Another potential problem that can cause a clutch to slip is that the clutch isn't being allowed to engage completely by the clutch pedal and linkage assembly. Some vehicles use a mechanical link or cable to operate the clutch but a hydraulic clutch is now more common and your vehicle has hydraulics. If there is dirt or corrosion in the clutch master cylinder, then the clutch apply fluid may not be able to return completely to the master cylinder reservoir and it keeps pressure inside the system. This pressure will hold the clutch only partially applied, so it slips when power is demanded from the engine. Before going to the expense of installing a new clutch assembly, have the technician check the hydraulic system to ensure it will allow the clutch to apply fully.

Any way a 2014 Corolla with 24K is still on warranty!?!? you sould go to Toyota dealer and have a technician check it!!!

·
Registered
5 toyotas,
530 Posts
I like warranty..............

heres my non technical suggestion as I am unable to drive your car and comment:

take it to the dealer and insist on a warranty repair, its likely a 5/60 powertrain item, you might still be in the 5 year window.
let them figure it out, if they give you problems call customer experience center...........

·
Registered
283 Posts
I own a 2015 Corolla 6 speed and I agree the clutch on this thing takes a lot of getting used to. Even today I will stall it in first or reverse every once in a while.

I found adjusting the seat forward a bit helps with this. If you have the seat too far back, you will have trouble modulating the catch point.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I own a 2015 Corolla 6 speed and I agree the clutch on this thing takes a lot of getting used to. Even today I will stall it in first or reverse every once in a while.

I found adjusting the seat forward a bit helps with this. If you have the seat too far back, you will have trouble modulating the catch point.
Thanks for chiming in, I was hoping someone that had a similar year model would do so!

·
Registered
1 Posts
6 speed clutch

I agree with NorthernCorolla. I have a '16 and it is almost impossible to drive after driving my '03 cummins. Takes a lot of getting used to the let-off and how light the pressure for the pedal is. If there is something different causing an issue, you could always have a technician check it out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same issue from day one with my 2014. Clutch engages way too late, and yet the clutch safety switch is so far down that I have to have the clutch pedal smashed into the carpet to start the car. Very easy to let up 1/2" or less and have the engine cut out when starting. Hardest to drive manual I've ever had, at least from the viewpoint of smoothness.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,253 Posts
This was a hot topic with the 10th gen Corolla 5-speed too. I didn't have much of a problem even though it was a different feel than my other manual cars. I have 6 MT cars in the family and most of them feel different from each other. I just think you have to drive it a lot and get used to it.

The same thing happened in my MR2 after I changed the clutch last year. The new one felt so much different that it took me a couple of months to get used to the feel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Made an account just to chime in. I have a 2016 Corolla L 6-speed w/ ~8,000 miles on it. I have noticed the clutch engages "more depressed" than other cars, more so when the car is cold. Also, in terms of driving smoothness, I have found this car harder to drive smoothly when compared to other cars.

·
Ukrainian Automotive
334 Posts
The clutch in my Corolla is not my favorite. I recently changed the clutch in my Mazda truck and had to relearn the new clutch. I think the Corolla clutch has an adjustment but I do not want to mess with it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Take it the dealer and have them check it out for you. It took me a while to get used to my 2016 L, coming from a 2013 tc and a 2014 mustang gt. I remember when I test drove it, I stalled the car more than three times, the guy from the dealer was looking at me like WTF??? hahaha. It took me a few weeks to get used to the clutch and engaging point(mustang clutch is like a freaking truck). Now after 5 months, I find this manual gearbox very accurate and smooth, better than the other two car mentioned.

·
Registered
2017 Corolla L
13 Posts
In m experience, Corollas that have the Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) exhibit severe throttle lag, often resulting in difficulty matching throttle response to clutch engagement. This can result in jerky starts in first gear, and in the 2012 model I had, starts often resulted in "slam" stalls, until I learned to overrev enough to avoid that (not great for the clutch).

I got got rid of that abysmal vehicle, and the 2016 that replaced is vastly better, but still nowhere near as smooth-shifting as Corollas manufactured before the advent of ETC.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Sorry for resurrecting this thread. I’m also still adjusting to the narrow bite point on my 6 speed 2014 Corolla. I’ve driven manuals most of my life and this one is just hard to modulate from a stand still. It doesn’t allow me to do that see-saw foot coordination that I was used to.

I’ve tried releasing the clutch very slowly without gas and that works on a flat road and slow starts. It’s impossible on an incline and impractical when people are behind you.

I’ve tried giving it some gas and I’ll over rev and get that nose dipping or shuddering before it gets going.

Really, the one that works well for me is to let up the clutch to just where it starts to bite, give it some gas just to keep the rev from going below idle speed, then slowly release the clutch while giving it more gas. After that, it goes through the upper gears just fine.

Reverse is even worst. I’m mostly reversing without even releasing the clutch with little to no gas.

Yes, there is rev hang on upshifts when the RPM won’t drop after stepping on the clutch and releasing the electronic gas pedal. I think this is due to how the ECU is programmed to burn off the nitrous oxide from the exhaust. It may have something to do with the variable valve timing as well when intake timing is advanced and exhaust timing is retarded thus creating an overlap and recirculating exhaust gases more efficiently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,253 Posts
I have the 6MT on my 17 Corolla iM and on the iM forums there has been a lot of discussion about this. On the iM forums everyone points out that the clutch engages with the clutch pedal almost completely up from the floor. On my 09 Corolla 5MT it engages much quicker and closer to the floor so it's very much the opposite.

There is an adjustment though for where the clutch engages and many have adjusted theirs. I was told that Toyota will adjust this under warranty within the 1st year or owners can do it themselves.

Here is the thread about how to adjust the clutch for those that want to do it. I've gotten used to the high engagement point now so I'm not sure if I'm going to adjust it or not right now.

http://www.scionimforum.com/forum/engine-technical-discussion/4617-diy-fix-horrible-clutch.html

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hi there I believe this to be normal on 6 gears manual I drive 2016 Corolla which does this ruff going to second to third and sometimes over reving when changing my car is in with Toyota over suspension issues but they have given me both 2017/2018 Yaris and auris as loaners while my car is in with them and they both do that ruff gear change and over reving seems to be normal with six gears what I would say is just go soft when changing gears don't force it let it go in gear itself but is very annoying I think it just a matter of getting use to Toyota told me it's normal because there no give in them but it is a work out in itself constant changing gears

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,253 Posts
Hi there I believe this to be normal on 6 gears manual I drive 2016 Corolla which does this ruff going to second to third and sometimes over reving when changing my car is in with Toyota over suspension issues but they have given me both 2017/2018 Yaris and auris as loaners while my car is in with them and they both do that ruff gear change and over reving seems to be normal with six gears what I would say is just go soft when changing gears don't force it let it go in gear itself but is very annoying I think it just a matter of getting use to Toyota told me it's normal because there no give in them but it is a work out in itself constant changing gears
I don't notice any rough shifting with mine. All gears changes are smooth as butter. The only issue I've had is the very high engagement point when releasing the clutch pedal.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts