Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014.5 Camry - 3 of the powered door locks have stopped working. If I use my key fob, only the driver side passenger door unlocks, the other doors have to be locked/unlocked manually.

Once all doors are locked manually, and key fob is pressed to lock, do I get the locked noise.

Any suggestions? Toyota wants to charge a $200 Diag fee. 馃槙

Registered
My 2013 Camry has been having this problem for a year or so. Just turned to 70,000 miles last month. The problem is intermittent, some locks work part of the time, and if they all seem to get into sync, they all work. Then sometimes even the drivers door will not work and I must open manually with the key.

I have read that there are many with these failed actuators and the suggestion is to have each door actuator replaced. I was quoted the $650 range for 2 doors by my Toyota dealer, where I purchased new and have had maintain and even purchased new tires.

Because so many are having these issues, and it seems to be an off and on issue, Toyota should step up and have a recall. Until then, at 71 years old, I will manually lock and unlock. I am even training my frequent passengers to do this. We all wonder why this is a problem for Toyota. I still wonder, because my problem is off and on, if there a different problem. Until I read something different I will just take the word of my dealer that it is the actuators and manually open and lock. That is really sad!!!

Registered
it's probably the most simplest yet complex thing to repair. the problem is most likely the small dc motor in the actuator that needs cleaning. you have to take the door panel off. find and unmount the actuator assembly and take it apart to find the small motor.

Registered
2012 Camry SE V6
My 2012 has this issue on and off as well. Can work perfect for months or even years, then all the sudden stops working and almost seems to jump from door to door.. My passenger front is the most frequent culprit though. About the time I am ready to tear into it and clean the motors(saw a video somewhere about just taking the actuators apart and simply cleaning the motors) they work perfect again out of the blue.. Some people buy the little motor and replace it, some clean the motor, some completely replace the actuator. I have yet to do any of the fixes, since it seems to work more than not lately lol..

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everyone. It has to be the same issue, because how multiple have mentioned it seems to be intermittent as being a problem then going away, the. Coming back. I too have just grown accustomed to manually lock and have trained my passengers to do the same unfortunately.

I appreciate the video link - although I鈥檓 nervous to try on my own, I might just have to!

Registered
2014.5 Camry LE
I have replaced all four actuators in my 2014.5 Camry.

The first one I had the dealership do it and they wanted to charge me $600, even though my car was a certified pre-owned with only 22K on the odometer. Needless to say that was a fight, but they covered it eventually.

The next 3, I didn't even bother with the damn dealership, I just did it myself. It took me about an hour each (I'm really good at getting the door panels off now) and about $80 for each actuator.

Registered
2012Camry Hybrid xle
Did you have to disconnect the battery before doing the actuator replacement?
I'm trying to find out if I need to do that on my 2012 camry hybrid as I plan to replace 2 of door actuators this weekend.

Registered
2014.5 Camry LE
Did you have to disconnect the battery before doing the actuator replacement?
I'm trying to find out if I need to do that on my 2012 camry hybrid as I plan to replace 2 of door actuators this weekend.

My car is an LE conventional 2.5L powered. Not a hybrid.

I did not disconnect the battery. I have actually been in the doors and disconnected the actuators several times over the past couple of months, due to my sound deadening project and have had no issues.

The only issue I experienced, was due to my own ignorance. Upon reconnecting everything, I tested the door locks by hitting the lock button on the key fob. The actuators would lock, then immediately unlock. I'm ashamed to admit that it took me till the 2nd door to realize that the locks would not remain locked, while the key was inserted into the ignition.

Now one circumstance where I absolutely removed the negative connector from the battery, then let the car sit for 15 minutes, was when I removed the seats. Airbags are one component in a car, of which I will not mess with. I want them completely dead, before touching the airbag connectors.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts