Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Searched through the forums, and google search - lots of mixmatched info. So hopefully you can help clear the air. seems to be a big difference between key and keyless, bypass this and that. Just confusing info. It appears when these first came out you had to sacrifice a key, but now you dont? anywho...

Have a 2014 Corolla S. Would like to easily gain remote start. Dont care if I spend 100 or 600 bones, just want to get it done. I can do work myself, but also not opposed to dropping off at a shop either.

Anyone have a link to a tried and true product that will work?

EDIT: Dealer has confirmed they *do not* have a kit for a the Keyed corolla S, so i guess im stuck going aftermarket? Going aftermarket, anyone know which will plug and play the best?

Thanks so much. Really appreciate the help

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Toyota Fanatic
1,152 Posts
Okay, here's the deal. I see the confusion and I knew this was going to be an issue with the option to have a "smart key" (aka proximity key) vs. a standard, H, or G key on the Corolla. Should have kept the Corolla's simple with just normal keys like my 2004 S LOL

For the "smart key", you can use the OEM fob as a remote start with a bypass unit. This offered both by Toyota (as their OEM RS system) and aftermarket through kits like DBALL2 or EVO. But since you don't have this, I won't go into it.

You have a key. Easy. If you're electrically inclined, it's not hard but takes patience and lots of metering. You need both the remote start unit and a bypass unit. The RS unit will obviously do it's job but you need the bypass to replicate your key without the need to sacrifice a key like I used to in the early 2000's.

Before I go on, I need to know if you have standard, G, or H key. On the key itself right by where the blade and key plastic body meet will be a symbol. If it is a dot "." you have a standard key, if it is "H" or "G" then you have that key. This is important because different bypasses (or bypass firmware) are needed to work with each type.

This one is apparently very well recommended
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_938EVOONE/Fortin-EVO-ONE.html?tp=149&#customer-reviews-tab

And apparently so is this one
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_6074105V2/Viper-Model-4105V-Version-2.html?tp=149

Just cant seem to find anyone who giving concise black and white information regarding all this key vs keyless information
Since you have a standard key, you need the viper and a bypass unit such as a DEI DBALL2. Try to keep the RS unit and bypass the same brand/manufacture as it makes integrating them very easy.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I got remote start installed in mine a few weeks ago. Most of the places I called quoted $250 to $350 to get it done for my car. A few added an extra charge once I told them I had a smart/keyless car. I ended up paying $300 and it took the place about 3 hours to get it installed. Was just the basic Viper system.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I installed a fortin evo one in my 2016 s plus with H key about 3 weeks ago. It is a remote start and bypass so no need to have a key hidden in the dash. It works with the oem fob to remote start the car but i also got the fortin 2 way remotes which work up to 3500 feet. Was a pretty easy install and in all i spent probably about $250

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.