Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove my wife's 2014 Avalon Hybrid 10 hours Wednesday, pulled up against the garage door where we were staying to unload, and noticed the right low beam was out. Got a new bulb (Sylvania 9005) and put it in Saturday night, still doesn't work. Looked online and found the fuse diagram and the fuse looked good. Swapped the fuse with the left side and left still works, right does not. (I have not swapped bulbs, will try that tonight, but what are the odds of the new bulb being bad too?)

Didn't have a meter, so no more testing available. Thankfully, made the drive home with fog lights on, but not ideal. Hate to pay the dealer, any thoughts on troubleshooting (other than moving the known working bulb to the right side?)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So here's the lesson, don't believe everything you see on YouTube. Pointed me to the wrong bulb, couldn't see the correct one. All is well. Arrrghhh,.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad you found resolution....
I did, however one thing perplexed me. The manual, and most references, show both high and low being a Sylvania 9005. The high (original from the factory) is a 9005, but the low I pulled out is a 9005 L. There is nothing on Sylvania's website about a 9005L and the Avalon owners manual shows both as being a 9005. What is odd is the manual shows them the same number, 9005, it lists the low beam as an HB3L+ halogen bulb and the high beam is an HB3 halogen bulb. How can the same part number be two different types?

·
Registered
2019 Avalon Ltd
1,299 Posts
The only difference I could find is the 9005 is 65 watts and the L is 60 watts. I wonder if the L stands for long life or lower power?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only difference I could find is the 9005 is 65 watts and the L is 60 watts. I wonder if the L stands for long life or lower power?
Got me. Well, it's got 9005s on both high and low now.

As an aside, can you give me a short synapsis of your thoughts on the 2014 versus the 2019? We had a 2007 Limited and make the mistake of saving a few bucks and bought the wife a 2014 XLE. After five years of listening to her whine about not having auto-wipers, I've thought about trading (maybe find a discounted 2019 versus a 2020). Thoughts?

·
Registered
2019 Avalon Ltd
1,299 Posts
Got me. Well, it's got 9005s on both high and low now.

As an aside, can you give me a short synapsis of your thoughts on the 2014 versus the 2019? We had a 2007 Limited and make the mistake of saving a few bucks and bought the wife a 2014 XLE. After five years of listening to her whine about not having auto-wipers, I've thought about trading (maybe find a discounted 2019 versus a 2020). Thoughts?
The 2019 is quieter and smoother. When we test drove the 19 LTD we found some rough roads to go over. My wife and I looked at each other and smiled. We had to have one. So we got the limited with advanced safety. We love the real GPS, the cameras, and HUD.

It is odd though that the auto wipers was deleted from the 2019. Not sure about 2020 models.

One down side is the lack of padding in the front seats. They actually got flabby after 5000 miles. We went to a first class auto upholster and had that fixed. Not much the factory is going to do about that.

We sill love the car though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts