Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello forum - long time lurker, very limited poster.....

My wife and I are ready to pull the trigger on a 2014 Highlander. We've already test driven, chosen colors, etc. She's coming out of a 2003 Honda Pilot with cloth seats (bought new - we keep cars for the long haul). Up until this morning I was gonna shoot for a Limited, but I am not-in-the-least-bit a fan of chrome wheels - much less chome wheel covers. I'm very disappointed that the ChromeTech wheel is the only option for the Limited. So here's my dilemma - if I buy a XLE with the second-row captains chairs, what am I really giving up aside from the BSM, rear parking sensors and cooled seats? I'm also assuming for the time being that the 18" wheel might be more quiet and smooth riding that the 19" wheel, but in all fairness I haven't yet researched that comparison.

Needless to say, whichever model we choose will be light-years ahead in terms of comfort compared to the Pilot (which up until now has been a champ of a vehicle, sans the luxury features) - just curious to know everyone's opinions on the above concerns. Many thanks for everyone's time.....

·
Registered
354 Posts

My wife and I are ready to pull the trigger on a 2014 Highlander. We've already test driven, chosen colors, etc. She's coming out of a 2003 Honda Pilot with cloth seats (bought new - we keep cars for the long haul). Up until this morning I was gonna shoot for a Limited, but I am not-in-the-least-bit a fan of chrome wheels - much less chome wheel covers. I'm very disappointed that the ChromeTech wheel is the only option for the Limited. So here's my dilemma - if I buy a XLE with the second-row captains chairs, what am I really giving up aside from the BSM, rear parking sensors and cooled seats? I'm also assuming for the time being that the 18" wheel might be more quiet and smooth riding that the 19" wheel, but in all fairness I haven't yet researched that comparison.

Needless to say, whichever model we choose will be light-years ahead in terms of comfort compared to the Pilot (which up until now has been a champ of a vehicle, sans the luxury features) - just curious to know everyone's opinions on the above concerns. Many thanks for everyone's time.....
I think the Limited has a better sound system. Aside from that, I'm not sure b/c the 2nd row captain's chairs were a deal breaker for us. We need the bench and you can't get that on the Limited.

·
Registered
35 Posts

Go under the Toyota website and go under shopping tools, explore and view brochures. Click on the Highlander and starting on page 14 and on it gives you a great comparision of all the features each vehicle has.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
When buying a car I always try to break it down by features.

#1 - What features do you actually want/need?

#2 - What features would you like to have, but not really important.

#3 - What features don't you like and don't want.

For me...I'm a minimalist. I don't require a lot of features. My wife likes a more refined vehicle (that's why she owns a Lexus).

Just because one model may have MORE features then another...you have to decide if those features are important to you.

For me...I can do without Navigation or Leather seats. But I needed/wanted V6 and AWD. Then I narrowed it down to features that might be nice. You really have to decide if you want to pay for them. Luckily for me the HL came loaded with features I wanted.

Features I DON'T like in high-end vehicles.

Navigation built-in. My IPhone-5s works fine for me.
Power Seats - I HATE power seats. Useless feature if you ask me. When ever I drive my wifes Lexus...I press the #2 seat preset button....and then wait about 2 minutes for everything to adjust to me. With manual seats I would have already backed out of the garage and out the driveway by then.
Leather Seats - Slippery and HOT. Wife likes them in her Lexus. I've never been fond of leather seats. Good cloth seats for me. Just scotch-guard them once a year. Keep up with the cleaning and they'll last and look good for years and years.
Upgraded Stereo - I prefer to listen to my music at home. Too much road noise for me to spend a lot of money on a stereo in a car.

Obviously MY opinion on features may not be the same as yours. So take a hard look at what you really like and what you don't like. Then go from there.

Good Luck

·
Registered
860 Posts
Believe me, you will regret buying that vehicle with those chromatic wheels. You could buy the vehicle you want and change the wheels later. I am sure someone will sell their XLE wheels and upgrade to custom. It will take some time.

I love all those options available on the Limited, but the Platinum has all the real tech goodies. I am not sure they are really worth the cost difference ($5,000) -especially if you have to fork over more cash to trade out the wheels.

Unfortunately with regard to a vehicle purchase their are no redo's. So if you need/want those expensive options just get the Limited or Platinum. I have never really been able to afford the top-of-the-line model in anything but a dishwasher (and I am sad I paid more for adjustable racks we never adjust).

The XLE is a really nice vehicle for a reasonable price and it has good looking wheels.

Happy shopping.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies guys.....

FWIW, there's already an unused set of 2014 XLE wheels on Ebay for $625. I don't plan on buying them but it does show that it doesn't take long for new parts to come up for sale once new owners start modding their new toys.

Looks like I'm gonna start the process with pricing on a base Limited. I'll post here and in the 2014 price paid thread once something happens. Regardless, it looks like I'm going to have to place an order from the factory - the dealer told me that the Champagne/Almond combination is very rare in what is already a very tight supply. :facepalm:

·
Registered
776 Posts
Thanks for all the replies guys.....

FWIW, there's already an unused set of 2014 XLE wheels on Ebay for $625. I don't plan on buying them but it does show that it doesn't take long for new parts to come up for sale once new owners start modding their new toys.

Looks like I'm gonna start the process with pricing on a base Limited. I'll post here and in the 2014 price paid thread once something happens. Regardless, it looks like I'm going to have to place an order from the factory - the dealer told me that the Champagne/Almond combination is very rare in what is already a very tight supply. :facepalm:
The only thing I can add to this is; if you are purchasing the car with an eye toward future resale value, get all the bells and whistles now. Used buyers seem to be impressed with them probably because they don't have to pay new retail prices.

I do agree the Limited has a superior sound system. If you are sitting in your driveway by yourself. Road noise, driving distractions, conversations will bring the sound system right back down to radio.

·
Premium Member
34,618 Posts
When buying a car I always try to break it down by features.

#1 - What features do you actually want/need?

#2 - What features would you like to have, but not really important.

#3 - What features don't you like and don't want.

For me...I'm a minimalist. I don't require a lot of features. My wife likes a more refined vehicle (that's why she owns a Lexus).

Just because one model may have MORE features then another...you have to decide if those features are important to you.

For me...I can do without Navigation or Leather seats. But I needed/wanted V6 and AWD. Then I narrowed it down to features that might be nice. You really have to decide if you want to pay for them. Luckily for me the HL came loaded with features I wanted.

Features I DON'T like in high-end vehicles.

Navigation built-in. My IPhone-5s works fine for me.
Power Seats - I HATE power seats. Useless feature if you ask me. When ever I drive my wifes Lexus...I press the #2 seat preset button....and then wait about 2 minutes for everything to adjust to me. With manual seats I would have already backed out of the garage and out the driveway by then.
Leather Seats - Slippery and HOT. Wife likes them in her Lexus. I've never been fond of leather seats. Good cloth seats for me. Just scotch-guard them once a year. Keep up with the cleaning and they'll last and look good for years and years.
Upgraded Stereo - I prefer to listen to my music at home. Too much road noise for me to spend a lot of money on a stereo in a car.

Obviously MY opinion on features may not be the same as yours. So take a hard look at what you really like and what you don't like. Then go from there.

Good Luck
^ This. Mike says it for me.

·
*Just the Facts, Ma'm*
1,745 Posts
Love the Chrometech wheels...... just talked to the company and they have over 20 million wheels on vehicles...... they couldn't do that and have any problems or the warranty replacement would bankrupt them, I am sure..... so they are thoroughly, scientifically tested and outperform real chrome by a long shot.....

Easy to clean, no worries about delamination, pitting, or rusting. I love them!!!

Copied and pasted from another thread.... but wanted to emphasise that these wheels are built for the long haul.... if you run it into a curb (like I did) you'd get damage on any wheel; real chrome, chrometech, aluminum, etc....

But in everyday normal use - Chrometech will outperform any of them and retain their good looks longer.

·
7,782 Posts
^ This. Mike says it for me.

Me too. Mike hit all the points that are important to me. KISS

I look at it in this way, The base of the car is about $29K. What features can you add to this to justify the added cost? When you think of $10-15K for added cost...
I can get a very usable used car for $15K for one of my kids at some point.
I can redo part of my front yard for that, change a roof. Update a bathroom.
Maybe put that in your kids education fund.

I already did all these a few years back, but you have to ask yourself how much are these gadgets worth to you?
How long do I plan on keeping the car?

Another reason I avoid all the bells/whistle electronics is that they tend to falter at some point or another. Then you have repair costs that are ridiculous. These are just my added perspective, others will have different prioritys, reasons, and wants that justify their needs.

Having said that I agree with Mike's list...... One thing I do enjoy is a good stereo, but I rather put that in myself anyway, as I do like music in the car, and I'm picky about quality and what my ear likes.
If you are an audiohead, as good as the JBL is, or as better as it is from basic, you may want to read the feedback for that particular feature of the car...as other features you have expectations of.
I'm actually fine for right now with the Basic none JBL model, as I don't want to lose some Entune stuff..errr ...well..its just too new :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Try and get what you want and can also afford!
Everyone's situation is different!
The chrometech wheels once you have them and see how easy they are to maintain you will not want to swap them!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Limited Platinum hands down! Chrometech wheels look awesome and they aren't chrome, and I don't know why everyone keeps saying that. They are a really cool looking almost brushed aluminum look. Basically, they match the aluminum look of the other chrometech things on the car like the roof rails. The wheels look great and will stay in great condition for a long time. There should be no differences in ride quality as even the larger Limited wheels have beefy tires with tons of sidewall.
Oh and btw, like mentioned you do know wheels can easily be removed and swapped right? Lol don't get a lower base model just because you don't like the wheels. Infact there are two sets of new XLE takeoff wheels and tires in the Chicago area on Craigslist right now.

2nd row captains chairs are amazing! Pano roof completes the interior! Radar cruise, cross path detection, blind spot monitoring all seal the deal.
If you keep vehicles for a long time, get the best!

·
7,782 Posts

Based on that link....Here is my opinion on the comparison: Regardless of what you have, the Highlander is a great car from the most basic to the most dressed up. All else is simply personal choice and thats all things should be taken as when subjective feedback is made.

Upgrade price difference from XLE to Limited: $3,286 invoice, $3,600 MSRP

Major Downgrade/ - 19-inch Chromtec wheels (XLE gets 18-inch alloys)

$100-200 value-installed
/ - LED daytime running lights

No need
/- Heated and ventilated front seats

Slight Downgrade(Other leathers may also suffer from wear)
/(Perf. leather tears-wears faster, and less spills can be a problem, BUT they breathe)
- Perforated leather

Not convenient
/
- 4-way power-adjustable front passenger seat
See above/- Memory driver seat

Downgrade
/- Dual second-row captain's chairs with a table in between (avail as option on XLE)
- 12-speaker JBL GreenEdge audio system (XLE has only 6 speakers)
Meh, $50 value/- Projector-beam halogen smoked-chrome-accent headlights

Cool!
/- Outside mirrors with memory function and puddle lights

Major Downgrade
/-(FAKE!) Wood-grain interior accent (XLE gets metallic accent)

Cool!
/- Blue LED ambient lighting on interior of front and rear doors and in-dash shelf

All positions??/There is a difference and it is not huge
/- Power windows with auto up/down and jam protection in all positions (XLE only for driver and front passenger)

Meh, drive vs driven
/- Blind-spot monitoring system

Meh, drive vs driven
/- Rear cross-traffic alerts

Cool!
($100-250 installed value)- Rear parking sensors

Meh, the basic works great
/- Integrated backup camera with dynamic gridlines.

For about $3200 you get a good chunk of goodies, specially if you value them. I don't value most of them, and for $3200 across , say 3-4years of payments, its easy to absorb for $60 a month/4 years.

*I would HAVE to swap out the wheels and I would hate to go through the trouble, and that I actually paid much more to do it. If you think about the replacement value of the Chromatech being about $700x4, you just have a few hundred worth of goodies! Very few you can EASILY add on.

*I could not live with wood or faux wood in the interior, so that would have to be changed to something that belongs in a car, not a forest/or an older classic hand made car.

Besides my personal deal breakers above, I think the Limited would be a COOL added package to the car.

Already the XLE is a good amount more than the LE or LEPlus, and I think the sweet spot in the lineup if you want some added tech, and sunroof. **FYI, for those wanting just a sunroof as an option, dealer CAN install the OEM sunroof to a HL for $1000.

FYI, If you are not particular about some things like wheels, you will be happy to know that there are owners that are actually very pleased and happy and PREFER Chromatech wheels. This I personally cannot make sense of as have not owned them, but these few owners happen to exist.

And if you like the idea of wood in the car, and want exactly that..."the idea of wood in the car"(it is fake)... then this is for you.
Those who actually do know or at least read, pedigree and cars of classic to modern and to manufactured robotics vs hand made, this point would just get worse.

Both these points are based on objective material usage and implementation. Otherwise what you like is simply that and can override with subjective self choice.

Everyone has a reason or preference....Maybe as a child your parent or someone had wood interior and you have that as a memory in your mind and can strongly make that connection, who knows?

bottom line: Enjoy what you have! And if you don't , the worste thing you can do is deny or pretend you like it. If it doesn't make a difference, or perhaps you're blind to it, that too is perfectly fine!:thumbsup:

I hope this breakdown helps in making you at least think before you make a choice. I don't expect my view to be the same as yours.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Eh. My advice: Get the Limited. It has features never before offered on the Highlander, and they're good for the most part, and folks shouldn't think of the active safety features in the tech package as "toys". They really can make a difference for many drivers...

Also, trust me, I am probably THE most anti-chrome-wheels person on this entire forum, but I don't mind the Chromtecs at all. First, they are FAR less "blingy" than typical chrome rims. That's a huge plus right there to make me have any chance of accepting them. Second, their design is actually nice. Third, who cares what Highlander experts (most folks here lol!) think or know from a distance; You can't tell it's "a cover" unless up close and you're "checking it out". Fourth, it's a lot less of a maintenance hassle to keep looking "just like new" for years, it seems, even in harsh climates.

My strongly opinionated vote for you: Get a Limited. :)

·
Registered
259 Posts
Also one more thing: Are you buying or leasing? If the former, how long do you expect to keep the car?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts