Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
7,783 Posts
Nope Phil!
Not everyone shares your views for sure!
Surely don't expect everyone to share it. I'm very aware of the contrary in numbers. But I share it as it IS the less popular view, and I try to apply reason to some of it, and it SHOULD be shared. :rockon:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Eh, IMO, the fake wood in the Limited doesn't look anywhere near as fake as it does it many other cars I've seen in person or in pics. It's not bad at all really. And besides, isn't Toyota helping save trees like this? :D

It's subtle, non-flashy, and fits well (at least whatever the exact one is that is on my Ash interior, not sure if blacks or beige interiors have anything different).

Also IMO, and I know this isn't a prevalent near-unanimous opinion, but I personally hate how aluminum trim looks in most cars. Even sporty "BMWs" and what not. It just looks...lame and cheap. In fact speaking of BMW, I'd always hypothetically pick ANY of their alternate trims over aluminum, even in an M car...

·
Registered
367 Posts
I think the captains chairs are absolutely not a downgrade. They are an upgrade times 1000 over the bench. I also feel that the captains chairs make the third row much more useful. I sat back there on a drive with my brother both at 6ft tall and we were perfectly fine...no exaggeration. They make the interior feel more spacious and luxurious too.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I think the captains chairs are absolutely not a downgrade. They are an upgrade times 1000 over the bench. I also feel that the captains chairs make the third row much more useful. I sat back there on a drive with my brother both at 6ft tall and we were perfectly fine...no exaggeration. They make the interior feel more spacious and luxurious too.
Agree.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Well, thank goodness BMW/Toyota/all car manufacturers don't listen to just a few people as even in this small crowd, the opinions dissent significantly.

FWIW, I love the aluminum in my 3 series. Its real, brushed and looks sporty. The aluminum plastic in my Highlander looks cheap in comparison (which is OK). Doesn't look bad though. I actually prefer the wood trim in the Limited--it looks nice without being garish. The previous gen HL had wood on the center console which looked cheap IMO. On the other hand, EVERY 3 series I've seen with their standard burl trim makes me want to hurl.

Perhaps the debate of wood vs aluminum is age based--I'm in my 30's still.

Back to the OP--just get the Limited and don't have XLE regret like me :)

·
Registered
452 Posts
I bought a Toyota SUV people mover of 8.
Reliability is luxury these days.
Other luxuries are very overrated.
You're so defensive about having the LE.

As for the 'fake' wood, it is well done and looks better than 80% of 'real' wood trims on the market right now. FYI- the brushed alum trim is 'fake' too.

You're right about what people value is personal. Most value the upgrades to the XLE and limited in the HL because the LE is expected to be a lower volume seller. I sat in an LE and it felt like a rental. But I'm just used to having the nicer touches in cars. IMO, the LE is a great value and so are the XLE/L, it just depends on what you want.

·
7,783 Posts
Also IMO, and I know this isn't a prevalent near-unanimous opinion, but I personally hate how aluminum trim looks in most cars.
We are polar on this one! :)
And that is why we have choices. I just wish Toyota would offer these choices when making the purchase. This is one area local brands are flexible with. Wheel color combo and trim styling and options choices.

Its very Apple of Toyota to lock such options(sorry, I had to toss that in). ;)

·
MY14 HL Ltd Plt Creme Bru
67 Posts
Actually, these days you do have these choices outside of Toyota. I like choices too, but I do not need too many. It just confuses thing and created many more of this kind of thread. You can obviously go to a local car wrapping shop and have them wrap it to any non-chrome color you want.

I personally like the chrome. That's why I also digs the chrometech wheel, except when u look closer and see the gap ;) I plan to add more chrome to the car because it goes great with my Creme Bruele/Desert Sand color.

·
7,783 Posts
Actually, these days you do have these choices outside of Toyota. I like choices too, but I do not need too many. It just confuses thing and created many more of this kind of thread. You can obviously go to a local car wrapping shop and have them wrap it to any non-chrome color you want.

Wheel was just one. I think Chevy or Ford offer things like interior styling choices, other gadgets or sunroof, etc to be made for you. But you have a point. Perhaps these things add to confusion and assembly line mishaps and such, I donno? :dunno:

·
Registered
452 Posts
We are polar on this one! :)
And that is why we have choices. I just wish Toyota would offer these choices when making the purchase. This is one area local brands are flexible with. Wheel color combo and trim styling and options choices.

Its very Apple of Toyota to lock such options(sorry, I had to toss that in). ;)
Both very successful while much of competition is struggling. Method to the madness.

·
7,783 Posts
I just broke out of the iPhone lock down a few months ago and very happy...BUT that wouldn't translate to my choice in cars :)

·
Registered
864 Posts
I just broke out of the iPhone lock down a few months ago and very happy...BUT that wouldn't translate to my choice in cars :)
Please give us a layman's translation--did you upgrade your phone from something other than an IPhone? I just received my HTC One M8 in the mail yesterday and will see if I can adjust to not having the IPhone also.

·
7,783 Posts
Please give us a layman's translation--did you upgrade your phone from something other than an IPhone? I just received my HTC One M8 in the mail yesterday and will see if I can adjust to not having the IPhone also.
Don't get me wrong I love Apple for most things and even the iPhone. But the screen was too small in my had to text. I kept getting confused on texts that were group vs individual(the indication difference is crap), and I didn't like the overall OS navigation. What I do love is the hardware. I can solder on it and change the screen or components when something goes wrong, and I have with no issues. But texting with my hands was a serious issue. I have XXL hands/fingers.

Yes, got an Android phone. I didn't want to get a Samsung as I had a $2700 Samsung fridge fail on my in 4 years which was IRREPAIRABLE. They offered some money back(about $1K if I had the receipt. I'm pretty good(aparently not superb) at keep trakc of paperwork, particularly such items, yet I couldn't find it for the life of me, so they didn't do anything about it. Strike one.

Then I had a professional grade monitor that was $3000 also fail on me(Still up in the air if a repair will happen). I made a personal promise not to buy another Samsung device. Strike two, and I was avoiding a third.

So I got a Sony Xperia Z1s. It is water proof to 3 meters. But the screen glass is paper thin. Had a case, and that was so flimsy the cover piece was coming off, so I was in the middle of getting a new case for it. I had it out of the case for less than a week. Within that time I managed to fumble it as I took it out of my pocket, and within 2-3 feet of a drop onto concrete the screen cracked. I sent it in for a repair, and they sent it back saying that it is not repairable. I was beside myself. Now I know Sony has sucked in may sectors in the past few years. Making some decent stuff, but mainly crap screens, and other audio devices, but I think the cameras, are good. So I tried the cell phone. It has other issues too, but had I known the screen is not repairable..WOW! How do you get into manufacturing a cell phone that can't be repaired?!

So, back to the main point. Now I need a new cell and funny enough HTC maybe the one for me to get! Knowing without a doubt that I would still get an Android even after that incident tells me how much I was done with the iPhone.

I have heard good things about the Samsung Galaxy or Note3, but holding them didn't give me any added confidence. We now have an LG fridge that I love, and in the office have 7 monitors and they vary from NEC pro line to LG and other Samsung which is really great. But HTC looks like a very solid phone.

How is that for layman's translation?

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I bought a Toyota SUV people mover of 8.
Reliability is luxury these days.
Other luxuries are very overrated.
Feel the same way. What amazes me is the people who buy vehicles strictly for status symbols. To each their own I guess. Has nothing to do with comfort. There's a trailer park a couple miles from where I live...and there's more then one person living there that owns a car that's worth more then their house. Obviously if they wanted comfort and luxury they'd put that money in buying a house without wheels. Instead they buy a cheap house..and drive a $90k vehicle for show. Most people they deal with don't know they live in a trailer park...so to them...gee this guy must be rich.

But everyone has different priorities in life. Driving an expensive vehicle isn't one of mine. Ever see the vehicle Warren Buffet drives? He doesn't have to put on a fake show....everyone knows he's the second richest man in the world.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Don't get me wrong I love Apple for most things and even the iPhone. But the screen was too small in my had to text. I kept getting confused on texts that were group vs individual(the indication difference is crap), and I didn't like the overall OS navigation. What I do love is the hardware. I can solder on it and change the screen or components when something goes wrong, and I have with no issues. But texting with my hands was a serious issue. I have XXL hands/fingers.

Yes, got an Android phone. I didn't want to get a Samsung as I had a $2700 Samsung fridge fail on my in 4 years which was IRREPAIRABLE. They offered some money back(about $1K if I had the receipt. I'm pretty good(aparently not superb) at keep trakc of paperwork, particularly such items, yet I couldn't find it for the life of me, so they didn't do anything about it. Strike one.

Then I had a professional grade monitor that was $3000 also fail on me(Still up in the air if a repair will happen). I made a personal promise not to buy another Samsung device. Strike two, and I was avoiding a third.

So I got a Sony Xperia Z1s. It is water proof to 3 meters. But the screen glass is paper thin. Had a case, and that was so flimsy the cover piece was coming off, so I was in the middle of getting a new case for it. I had it out of the case for less than a week. Within that time I managed to fumble it as I took it out of my pocket, and within 2-3 feet of a drop onto concrete the screen cracked. I sent it in for a repair, and they sent it back saying that it is not repairable. I was beside myself. Now I know Sony has sucked in may sectors in the past few years. Making some decent stuff, but mainly crap screens, and other audio devices, but I think the cameras, are good. So I tried the cell phone. It has other issues too, but had I known the screen is not repairable..WOW! How do you get into manufacturing a cell phone that can't be repaired?!

So, back to the main point. Now I need a new cell and funny enough HTC maybe the one for me to get! Knowing without a doubt that I would still get an Android even after that incident tells me how much I was done with the iPhone.

I have heard good things about the Samsung Galaxy or Note3, but holding them didn't give me any added confidence. We now have an LG fridge that I love, and in the office have 7 monitors and they vary from NEC pro line to LG and other Samsung which is really great. But HTC looks like a very solid phone.

How is that for layman's translation?
Phil?...would you repeat that for the slow readers? :>)

First you want the state of the art, newest thing. As small as possible. As bright as possible. As expensive as possible. Then you are angry because some Chinese/Japanese/Singaporianese company doesn't have buttons big enough for your God-given stumps? Get a 50s model typewriter, strap it to your chest and get on with it!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Wheel was just one. I think Chevy or Ford offer things like interior styling choices, other gadgets or sunroof, etc to be made for you. But you have a point. Perhaps these things add to confusion and assembly line mishaps and such, I donno? :dunno:
This is an old article (from 2009) about Ford reducing the number of option combinations (example used was the Lincoln LS having 50,000 different combinations vs. its replacement MKS having just 300). One of the benefits cited was exactly that -- less variation means more focus on quality and lower cost.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
This is an old article (from 2009) about Ford reducing the number of option combinations (example used was the Lincoln LS having 50,000 different combinations vs. its replacement MKS having just 300). One of the benefits cited was exactly that -- less variation means more focus on quality and lower cost.
2009???...It's been going on a lot longer then that. Back in the 80's the options for the Big-Three/Four (AMC) were endless. There were different trim levels, but then there were endless factory options. When I bought my 84 GMC pickup I ordered the Sierra-Classic extended cab. Which was their high-end model. Then the options I added were - rear-side seats (they fold down)....Intermittent wipers...Reclining front seats...Carpet upgrade....I also ordered it WITHOUT a radio since I was going to put in my own. The vehicle comes in and go down to pick it up...and there's no rear bumper. I asked the salesman about the rear-bumper..and he said "You didn't order one". Rear bumpers were optional on pickups back then.

Then in 1990 I ordered my 1990 Pathfinder. There were 3 trim levels. I got the XE-Sport. And the only option I could get was AC - which was dealer installed (very common back then) and an Automatic. When I got it...it didn't come with intermittent wipers. If I wanted factory installed intermittent wipers I had to order the Automatic. Which I thought was a very stupid combination. At least I could get a kit from Nissan to give me intermittent wipers for $50.

GM/Ford and Chryco have been almost completely eliminated the endless options over 20 years ago. They might have more then Toyota/Nissan or Honda..but nothing even close to what it was back in the 80's.

·
Registered
776 Posts
So...when will Ford start to focus on quality? :>)

21 - 40 of 44 Posts