Toyota Nation Forum banner

2014 Highlander Tune-Up

4K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  Vangm25 
#1 ·
After learning that Toyota designed the Highlander's tune-up process to include 1 not so easy to reach spark plug and that a simple tuneup (change of spark plugs) would cost $642.00, it made me a Volkswagon Atlas fan immediately. In my opinion this was done intentionally and the reason that no Toyota dealership in Illinois will quote you without taking their time to warm you up to the idea of $642.00- $675.00 to change 6 plugs. 5 of which are easy to get to. I should be able to change spark plugs the same way I do on my 8cyl Sequoia. Very sad the Japanese felt they had to design the engine this way. It's a nice car but over-priced and the maintenance is ridiculous. So, I was a 4 car Toyota owner and shortly I will be building my stable with Volkswagons. The Germans were always better engineers.

#2 ·
Apparently you've never had a Toyota V6 transverse engines because it is not at all similar to a Toyota V8 longitudinal engines. Toyota's have always been like this since the MZ engines of just less than 30 years ago. So I'm not sure what you are expecting despite owning four Toyota's.

Enjoy waiting in the shop lobby....

#3 ·
No offense Vangm25, but I made a statement about an individual Toyota model so that others would review their own circumstances and understand the cost involved each time you change a spark plug. I didn't ask for your anaylsis. I have always asked what a tune up costs when buying a Toyota and to a tee, they always lie. Not only that but the service writers gave me a quote of 150.00- 755.00 from 4 different dealerships. That in itself decries a lack of honesty. These things in my opinion, should be disclosed upon sale. But if they did, no one would buy the 6's. Thanks for info but I have numerous autos for myself and my children. I don't wait in anyone's Lobby.

#5 ·
Here’s a vid of changing the plugs. Transverse V6‘s are always a pain in the butt.

Good luck with the VWs. You’re gonna need it.

#10 ·
Fair enough complaint. The newer v6s address this to a degree. Good luck on the Atlas, keep us posted on the engineering.

#14 ·
i think theyre gone at this point.

good luck with audi/vw though lol
ive owned and worked on a few.

i guess he never replaced the spark plugs on a Mk4 golf where the intake manifold goes OVER the top of the engine.
or the window track that uses one long cable that needs to be wound around 4 different pulleys in a very specific order and direction. or the fact that the Mk1 tt needs the exhaust and axle to be removed to replace the shifter linkage.
has he ever done the timing belt on a 1.8t Lmao (especially a transverse mount). Audi/VW have a really well engineered water pump dont they lol (press fit plastic impeller)
how about when they put the timing chain on the BACK of the engine against the firewall... remember that one... lol
how about the audi/vw direct injection carbon issues or the plastic that literally crumbles. Ever remove an oil dipstick and have the dipstick tube crumble dropping pieces into the sump lol
do they still use bolts for the wheel lugs? ever change a tire and there are no lugs on the hub to rest the rim on lol
How about the aluminum oil pan with a steel drain plug... if the guy at jiffy lube is in a rush and cross threads the bolt, which part do you think youll have to replace. (scratch that, they use PLASTIC oil pans now lololol)

hey, its ok. hell get to expand his tool box when he goes to work on his audi/vw. yeah, yeah, im sure he has all the allen and torx wrenches but oh no no no. audi/vw uses triple square heads. ever hear of those. lol

want to replace a door lock mech', ha, have fun with that one.

EVERY car has its quirks really.

#15 ·
i think theyre gone at this point.

good luck with audi/vw though lol
ive owned and worked on a few.

i guess he never replaced the spark plugs on a Mk4 golf where the intake manifold goes OVER the top of the engine.
or the window track that uses one long cable that needs to be wound around 4 different pulleys in a very specific order and direction. or the fact that the Mk1 tt needs the exhaust and axle to be removed to replace the shifter linkage.
has he ever done the timing belt on a 1.8t Lmao (especially a transverse mount). Audi/VW have a really well engineered water pump dont they lol (press fit plastic impeller)
how about when they put the timing chain on the BACK of the engine against the firewall... remember that one... lol
how about the audi/vw direct injection carbon issues or the plastic that literally crumbles. Ever remove an oil dipstick and have the dipstick tube crumble dropping pieces into the sump lol
do they still use bolts for the wheel lugs? ever change a tire and there are no lugs on the hub to rest the rim on lol
How about the aluminum oil pan with a steel drain plug... if the guy at jiffy lube is in a rush and cross threads the bolt, which part do you think youll have to replace. (scratch that, they use PLASTIC oil pans now lololol)

hey, its ok. hell get to expand his tool box when he goes to work on his audi/vw. yeah, yeah, im sure he has all the allen and torx wrenches but oh no no no. audi/vw uses triple square heads. ever hear of those. lol

want to replace a door lock mech', ha, have fun with that one.

EVERY car has its quirks really.
Downside of Toyota transverse V6, annoying rear bank spark plugs, rubber oil line, and sometimes coolant issues... can't think of anything else because everything just works.

#19 ·
I should've asked this sooner. Does anyone know the difference between a I4 and a V6? This is in addition to transverse and longitudinal.

If not, that in itself explains why transverse V6's are just generally harder to maintain. As I have emphasized a lot, Toyota transverse V6 engines have been like this since the 90s and the only people who are gonna be pissed off at the cost of a "simple" job are the clueless while everyone else is 🤷‍♂️ , oh well.

Someone find me their dipstick.

#25 ·
It is V6 in Toyota. In VW it is VR6, that is where difference is.
First of all, Toyota makes V6 same like other manufacturers: Nissan, Mitsubishi, Honda, GM, etc.
They packed it in what it is a Camry on steroids. It is really not friendly environment under the hood as it is limited space. Now if you think HL is bad, come check under the hood of my Sienna.
Others who use V6 in platforms derived from regular cars (transverse application) have same issues. It is not only spark plugs. Try changing master cylinder that is as robust on Toyota as butter. But, you would face more or less same issue on other vehicles.

Now going to VW. Their VR6 is different design and more expensive one, but it delivers better performance and worse mpg.
It has only one head as pistons are under 10.6 degrees angle. Basically it is V engine length wise but almost inline six, hence VR designation where R is “Reihenmotor” or inline engine.
The reason why they did this is to fit V engine in Corrado in 1991. Transverse application but very small vehicle. Now, forget the fact that it was understeer monster as it was superheavy for such vehicle. But, they kept concept and Audi, Porsche and VW all used this 3.6 since 2006 when it was introduced.
It is probably most reliable engine in this category of family SUV’s as it is on the market for a long time. And yes, it is much easier to work on. It delivers much better torque as it develops max torque already at 2,750rpms compared to 2GR-FKS which is at 4,700rpms.
Also, bcs. cylinders are in narrow angle it has ridiculously good sound.
But it is thirsty engine. Don’t hope for more than 20-22mpg on hwy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#29 ·
#31 ·
It is not like you need to change Spark Plugs every 10K miles. Wait until the 100K miles plus the manufacturer recomendation and them the entire car may need other work or maintenance and the cost of the tune up will appear insignificant by compatrison. If it aint broken don't fix it! Note to Self: Specially NEVER try to remove the Transmission Oil pan on the 2008 Highlander. It is not needed and it cost $1800 to put it back together. Leave it alone!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.