Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, figured I would drop in and see if anyone else is having issues out of their new Tc. bought mine with 6 miles on the clock and I am currently having some issues now with 3,600 miles. The car had a new clutch put in it at 800 miles. I am a service adviser at an independent European repair shop, so I used out system to create a R.O of issues the car is having.

I should not have to be doing this with 3600 miles on the car...

Words are a bit small, here is the full list.

Intermittently transmission will not go into 1st/ Reverse gears, binding; have to try several times to get vehicle into gear.

Intermittently transmission grinds going into 3rd / 4th gear, with clutch fully depressed. Not happening at a certain speed or RPM.

Rattle coming from above back seat, plastic piece that goes around rear window has become loose and makes a rattle noise while driving, reach back while driving and hold it, noise stops.

Chirping noise coming from gearbox area, while car is under acceleration there is a high pitch chirping noise from 3rd gear + if the gas pedal is released, or decelerating the noise goes away, reapply gas and noise returns.

Transmission sometimes feels "clunky" while shifting gears, almost the feeling of a faulty mount or bushing.

Push button start has intermittent problem, depress clutch pedal, push button car will sometimes fully start, will sometimes go to "position 2" and no start, will also sometime start and die immediately. Sometimes car will take 3-4 times to start.

In first gear, with clutch pedal depressed, car has a whining noise coming from gear box at slow speeds ( coasting in first gear, clutch pedal engaged), this problem has been looked at and deemed " Normal" I however would like it looked over again.

Please review TSB: S-SB-0003-14 for navigation system and radio update.

Thanks for any input before I drive this thing back to the dealer...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Clutch was dealer installed, under warranty. It had some issues prior to these, clutch s*it the bed during a 5th to 6th gear change.

·
2,654 Posts
Interesting. I wonder if you're having the same issue as the other tC that was brought up or if the tech put something back together incorrectly?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got under it yesterday to check for any leaks, appeared clean. I think it has internal issues that were not looked at when the transmission was pulled, they never split the case to inspect so who knows.

·
2,654 Posts
Sounds like it does..internal probs.

It's entirely possible that a bearing could have shelled out or something like it and a piece of metal is moving around in there causing all the issues you're speaking of.

Lot of possibilities...?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is very possible, along with a laundry list of other issues, I've contemplated pulling the trans myself.. But at 3600 miles.. I shouldn't have to haha

·
2,654 Posts
You pull the trans yourself, and you risk voiding your warranty.....

Just have the dealer handle it. It sounds to me like it's nothing but an internal problem with the tranny. they'll replace it. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You pull the trans yourself, and you risk voiding your warranty.....

Just have the dealer handle it. It sounds to me like it's nothing but an internal problem with the tranny. they'll replace it. :)
You have a point.. I guess I will have to take it out with them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just an update for anyone that cared, Toyota sent out a regional service manager to inspect the car for noises and issues that I have listed above. He drove it then told me that he would have to get his hands on another one to compare, a few days later I received a call from the local dealer informing me that he had driven another one and that mine had no issues. Apparently they drove the exact same. Which means it was noisy.. The local dealership drained my transmission fluid and replaced it with new fluid, I guess trying to find debris in the fluid. The Trans is still very noisy and still has a lot of unnecessary play and a clunky feeling to it. High pitch chirp in 4t-6th gears. Just very unpleasant. Because Toyota has not attempted repairs of any kind and these issues have been deemed "normal" and a "break in period" Toyota has given me the option to start the lemon law and arbitration paperwork. I am hoping for trade assist or a full buy back of the vehicle due to this in going issues at a mere 4,500 miles. Will update as I get more.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow

So, yesterday I brought the car to the local dealer. I was was having an issue with the driver seat squeaking ( they are replacing the seat track)

Now on to the fun stuff.

The past couple times at the bank drive-thru I have noticed a rattling noise from the gearbox, once the clutch was depressed the noise would go away, release clutch...noise would return. Almost like a throw out bearing / input shaft bearing.

I submit the complaint of this issue, dealer calls and tells me that he is waiting to hear back from tech line.

Today I get a phone call from the dealer stating that Toyota has removed the warranty on my transmission What?

Apparently when I arbitrated the problems with the car, when Toyota said "nothing was wrong " they removed the warranty on the transmission, I said so... what is covered? The advisor told me the car still has its normal warranty MINUS the Transmission.

I... :surprise:am just lost.

I asked the advisor " Off the record " Do you and the technician think that noise is an issue? He was a little hesitant, but did say yes.

Toyota is practically barring them from working on the car unless it is customer pay, unless I approve the Diag/ repairs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Absolutely nowhere. I will update if I get a phone call from Toyota/Scion today.

They are looking into the warranty and if it has any attached notes about the transmission. This has been the craziest thing I have ever dealt with.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have this same issue..

I purchased a 2015 tC back in February of this year, and have went to Toyota three times about this now. I experience everything you are. I get a chirp(squeak) when applying gas when up-shifting. Even when slightly revving the engine just sitting in neutral. Sometimes it takes me multiple attempts to put the car into first or reverse. I have the same rattle from the gearbox. Told a tech today I thought it was the input shaft issue and had him go on a drive with me in the car and he ended up agreeing with me. Also, I have popping from the steering column when I really crank the wheel. Mostly when reverse parking. I was told that there's a shaft in that that's possibly bad. So irritating. I've read forums about fellow tC2 owners experiencing the same things we are and most of them are having their input shaft bearing replaced and all seems well after that. So that's what I'm shooting for. I agree with you 100%. My car has 7600 miles on it. Bought it with 60 on the odometer. Should not be experiencing s*** like this with a brand new car. The "break-in" period is not for 5,000-10,000 miles like they so claim. If you have an update please share. I'm curious to know the outcome with your tC.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Don't know if anyone is still keeping up with this thread. Just wanted to add an update on my tC. Got a call from my mechanic over at Cavender Toyota in San Antonio, TX. He told me that he agreed with me (as previously stated) about the input shaft bearing needing to be replaced and fix whatever it is that keeps popping in my steering column. So I'm taking the car in within the next week to have the bearing replaced. I keep finding more and more of this with tC owners who purchased the manual tranny. Could this just be an imperfection with the manual tranny that keeps getting reproduced since 2011? Kinda odd that I keep finding dirt on this and it hasn't been recalled or at least addressed by Toyota... Love my tC, but this makes me not want to buy another Scion in the future.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So, just an update.... Just got my car back from the shop last night. It was explained to me that the input shaft bearing was not replaced and instead they replaced the release bearing. No more slight squeak when shifting gears and first gear is not as "whinny." Steering still pops. They told me that they couldn't find a solution, so they insulated the cowl of the steering to drown out the noise... doesn't help at all. As far as the input bearing goes. I still have that fan like noise coming from the gear box. Not as loud because I think they replaced the trans fluid with synthetic, but still there none the less. Not too happy, but at least we're making progress and everything I'm experiencing is documented for future issues.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts