Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
UPDATE. Have some good news regarding my issues. Finally had a Toyota rep take care of me a little. The dealership had a brand new 2016 transmission put into my 2015 model. Apart from them leaving my car out of alignment (go figure), the drive is 210% better. I'm still researching to find out if there were any new updates to the 2016 transmission. I haven't been able to find anything. The shifts are smooth and clean. It's WAYYYY more quiet and I don't have any cabin noise when the windows are up (besides in first gear). I am extremely satisfied with how my car feels right now. Now.. that being said, I am going to use the next two months to see if the issues end up coming back. It is new, and it hasnt been broken in yet. So we will see. For now, the car drives better than it did the day I drove it off the lot in St. Louis. If anyone has any updates as to the difference in the 2015 and 2016 standard transmissions for the tCs please update. I'm very interested to know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Lovely... Yeah I'm reading more that there is no difference. So I'll probably end up running into the same problems 3-4,000 miles down the road. Also a lot of the noises I was experiencing before are coming back... Popping is a lot worse since getting it back from the dealer as well... Idk what to do anymore. I think I need to talk to Toyota and see what they recommend because I'm real close to just getting rid of it. I'm going to do my research to see if Toyota will consider doing a "buy-back" with my tC. I'm not getting my money's worth out of the car. Can't even enjoy the drive because I feel like I'm just going to make it worse taking it out and about.. Sad thing about it is that I baby this car and don't drive it hard at all. I shouldn't be having this many problems and noises having the car less than a year and at only 9,000 miles.... Not a happy owner.

·
Registered
8 Posts
UPDATE: So I finally got an incident made with Scion/ Toyota for my tC... Apparently, the chirping when shifting, metal-on-metal noises, and popping in the steering/ clutch area is all deemed normal. Oh and the bad bearing in the transmission is also deemed "normal." ... Someone please explain to me how any of that is normal?

I'm having a hard time understanding that. This car is the worst...:frown:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Scion Transmission

Just wanted to add this onto the thread. I am looking at purchasing a 2012 Scion TC that has 36,000 miles on it. When I test drove the car the first time I heard the tranny making a roaring noise with the clutch out and got significantly quieter when the clutch was in. I did a bunch of research and am seeing everyone having the problems with the Input Shaft Bearing. I drove the car a second time and then I really heard the roaring noises. You would think Toyota would actually do something about this engineering flaw? Needless to say I don't think I will be buying this car unless Toyota can promise me a fix after I purchase it. Does anyone know if the 5year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty actually works and if its transferable to a new owner?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks, I did call my local Scion today and they said it would transfer without an issue. Now hopefully they will look at the Input Shaft Bearing when I get the vehicle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
shawn111493,

As an update, don't know if this will help you. As you can tell, I've had quite a bit of issues with my tC. I will say, having the 2016 tranny put in on my 15 has made such a difference. I don't have any of the roaring noises from the transmission anymore. As far as I know, no differences have been made from year to year with the tranny (nothing has been posted at least). I've put about 4,000 miles on the new tranny and all is good, knock on wood. The other issues.. That's a different story. If you're experienced with driving with a clutch I don't see why you would have issues should you get a tranny swap or have them open it up and replace the bearing. I personally, wouldn't purchase this car if you're just now learning. It's a bit of a fragile car. Great car... but fragile. Learn to deal with noises would be my recommendation to you. The car has all kinds of potential should that be the route you want to take. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Would love to hear updates on transmission issues described in this thread. Apparently I've been lucky and the 2014 I purchased in 4/14 now with 72k miles hasn't had any transmission issues so there's one positive data point. Matt

21 - 30 of 30 Posts