Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Toyota Avalon
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Started after pushing engine hard in Sports mode. Engine sounded like it didn't have any oil or as if oil pump wasn't working. Limped 18 miles home and 3 mechanic shops here in NYC say the engine is shot! Drove it home and tried to start it to take it to the dealership but it stalled 50 feet from home.

How hard is it to pull the engine out of our cars?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2014 Avalon Hybrid,
495 Posts
Happy...not so lucky...: I have no knowledge of R&R of the ICE, but...your post begs more details. Exactly what aspect of the engine failed? Catastrophic oil failure? Are you the original owner? Maintained by the book? Driving history of the car?

(I'm at 85k miles, still smooth as silk, no issues since I bought it 2.5 years ago with 12k on the clock. DFW region, mostly highway miles.)

·
6,661 Posts
If it's a 4 cylinder engine, remove head, remove oil pan, drop connecting rods lower section down and push pistons with rods up and out. Replace rings and crankshaft bearings. Done. It's about 6-7 hr DIY job. Replace all gaskets same time, of course. As you mess with timing chain, replace tensioner and idler. It will be like a new engine. Toyota had major oil consumption issue with Camry engines, they came up with improved pistons... might not be a bad idea to do them too. That's if you do not want to take risks with used engine. Or, remove current one.

·
Registered
2014 Avalon Hybrid,
495 Posts
Thanks, ukrkoz, for the reasonably detailed instructions.

We still don't know WHAT failed, though! "...engine is shot!..." needs clarification, especially on an engine with only 94k miles on it.

·
6,661 Posts
If you ran down on oil, it likely seized. That is normally crankshaft bearings.

Engine sounded like it didn't have any oil or as if oil pump wasn't working.

But indeed, we do not know. Just a guess.

·
Registered
2014 Toyota Avalon
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought the car mid august 2018 with 92k on odometer from a dealership in MA. He didn't have the maintenance records but it was a good deal at $13,500 IMHO. No so much anymore, SMH. Oil was about 1 1/2 quarts low. I"m still not sure exactly what the cause is but 3 local mechanics said its internal and engine is bad. None opened engine up to diagnose it further but had it scanned with advanced scan tool and it had no codes. Is there a DIY engine removal anywhere?
I found a used engine for $400 locally but I have to pull the engine myself. Does anyone know where I can buy the workshop manual for 2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid?

·
My first Hybrid
73 Posts
Engine failure..at this mileage.. Bad luck..

May be it was low in oil (pump failed) and driving miles damaged it more? Just a wild guess..

·
Registered
2014 Toyota Avalon
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My question now is how involved is it to pull the engine. I have been looking everywhere for a workshop manual for our cars (TAH 2013-2018) but have not found one anywhere for purchase. Nor can I find a DIY engine removal/installation guide. Planning on removing the engine this Tuesday Feb. 19, 2019, so any help/links/guidance would be greatly appreciated. I have done this on a few cars over the years but all with help, this time I am doing it SOLO. I am a little scared of the hybrid system since I heard it can kill you from the high voltage. I already borrowed tan engine hoist from a friend and am gathering as much info as I can prior to doing the job..

Thank you all for the help

·
6,661 Posts
Regular Avalon manual will serve you well as, in principles, it's same engine. Hybrid battery has kill switch that de powers any energy flow to the inverter.

Read this first:
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1106222/Toyota-Avalon-Hybrid.html?page=16#manual
as it has clear instructions on how to avoid any high voltage hazard.

I still say it's easier and simpler to remove head and drop pistons down. You do not have to pull everything out and damage PSD in the process. Power Split Device, what is your transmission.

Do you actually know for sure, what is wrong with the engine? To warrant such effort?

·
6,661 Posts
For those who will be helping this poster - REMINDER not to post any Toyota manuals in the forum. It is against forum rules.

17. There will be no posts or threads containing a direct link to Toyota Factory Service Manuals. All threads regarding any copyrighted Toyota material (ie., Entune, Techstream, Techstream Lite, etc.) will be deleted, and Forum Administrators/Moderators reserve the right to determine what material is copyrighted or not. First offense will result in a warning, second a temporary ban, third a permanent ban. Click here to read more about this policy, particularly if you consider it unfair. Links to pirated software of any kind will not be tolerated either.

Thank you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought the car mid august 2018 with 92k on odometer from a dealership in MA. He didn't have the maintenance records but it was a good deal at $13,500 IMHO. No so much anymore, SMH. Oil was about 1 1/2 quarts low. I"m still not sure exactly what the cause is but 3 local mechanics said its internal and engine is bad. None opened engine up to diagnose it further but had it scanned with advanced scan tool and it had no codes. Is there a DIY engine removal anywhere?
I found a used engine for $400 locally but I have to pull the engine myself. Does anyone know where I can buy the workshop manual for 2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid?
I am sorry to hear this. I am new here, and am in the market for a 2014 TAH myself. I was just looking at one with 125k miles on it for 12,500, which I am assuming is a good deal, but your story scares me. I drive a lot for work, and would hate to have to replace an engine immediately.

·
Registered
2014 Avalon Hybrid,
495 Posts
I am sorry to hear this. I am new here, and am in the market for a 2014 TAH myself. I was just looking at one with 125k miles on it for 12,500, which I am assuming is a good deal, but your story scares me. I drive a lot for work, and would hate to have to replace an engine immediately.
If your work requires your timely presence, I'd think a newer car with fewer miles would be preferable. Auto breakdowns can kill your employability in a hurry.

·
Registered
2014 Avalon Hybrid,
495 Posts
Sounds like you are implying the TAH is unreliable?
Not at all. I totally trust my 2014 TAH, because I KNOW the car, it shows zero signs of issues, or impending issues. It is our road-trip cruiser.

Any car, at 120k miles, driven by ????, maintained by ???? I wouldn't want to stake my job on it, regardless of the model. There are just too many unknown factors, in my opinion. The TAH is incredibly complex, with complex electronics, and if it hasn't been taken care of properly, might (might!) have issues.

If your job depends on day-after-day auto reliability, your odds go up if it's YOUR car from new, IF you know how to maintain it, and can be proactive about weak areas.

...my opinion, of course...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts