Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First a disclosure,

I bought the car used with 45K on the clock already. I didn't perform the first oil change myself (There was 6 inches of snow and more coming). The second oil change, I didn't think to use Blackstone Labs at the time. I did send in the last two oil changes. This is the most recent analysis which also includes the last oil change. Ignore the make up oil added. That was an error on my part. I didn't add any oil at all.

I drive 125 miles per day to and from work. There's a combination of mostly highway driving along with stop and go traffic (afternoons usually). Both times I sent samples away, it was very cold outside. At my trend, I'm looking at August when it will be hot outside.

As of today, my car has just over 91,000 miles.

I'm using an outside link for the PDF file:https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Rv7RskzfU8apvAK47oYrzQ4YO4iNnuML

If you can't see the file, please let me know.

·
2,629 Posts
Same oil I use in my '13. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't care what others do with their money, but really why are so many people enamored with having their used oil analyzed? That is a legitimate question.... what's the fascination? You could use that $28 to chip in for more frequent changes if you're worried about contaminants. Or maybe a haircut, a dinner out, or a start to paying off that delinquent the gas/electric bill. Interesting to say the least and not a jab... just curious much like anyone analyzing their oil... just curious. We are still driving Corollas, right?

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I don't care what others do with their money, but really why are so many people enamored with having their used oil analyzed? That is a legitimate question.... what's the fascination? You could use that $28 to chip in for more frequent changes if you're worried about contaminants. Or maybe a haircut, a dinner out, or a start to paying off that delinquent the gas/electric bill. Interesting to say the least and not a jab... just curious much like anyone analyzing their oil... just curious. We are still driving Corollas, right?
I agree. Just use good oil and filters and change it every 5000 miles (synthetic).

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
maalth, You drive to work one way is 60+ miles? Wow! Guess I should be glad mine is only 6. It used to be one. 60, I would be looking for a new job, moving, or, maybe getting a helicopter.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I couldn't agree more. Just my opinion, but it's such a waste of money, time, and effort. I don't know of anyone who has owned one car their entire lifetime! As an engineer I enjoy reading this stuff. It's so comical how people freak out when the see the test results. Most don't even understand what their looking at data wise. There is no established industry standards for element limits and what is/is not acceptable. Try taking a report that shows a high level of a specific element to a Toyota service dept. They will laugh at you. Even more so, if you try and blame an engine failure on the results of some random oil analysis. If you like throwing your hard earned money away, at least give to a worthy cause. Just change your oil at the recommended interval or sooner. That's one less thing in life to keep from stressing you out.

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
I agree that having the analysis done at every oil change is pointless when a more frequent change interval would be more beneficial, if that is the sole purpose of having the test run.
But beyond supporting less frequent changes, it's not a bad idea to have a check run every 25-30k or so, just to give you a heads up on anything that might be going on in the engine, that could perhaps reveal an issue that would indicate an inexpensive repair now, vs a boat anchor block in a year.

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
maalth, You drive to work one way is 60+ miles? Wow! Guess I should be glad mine is only 6. It used to be one. 60, I would be looking for a new job, moving, or, maybe getting a helicopter.
My drive is 45 miles each way. LA traffic. I leave home at 5, it's an hour in the morning and 2 for the trip home at 4.

Move? My condo is $1200/mo. Cheapest I would be able to get within 10 miles of work would be $3000 unless I want to live in a ghetto, and even then it would be $2000+. New job? My position is extremely specialized and there are pretty much no opportunities available except after someone retires or dies. Career change would mean half the income... and I don't make enough to buy a helicopter :D

My next move will be out of Commiefornia.

If your commute is only 6 miles, then you're probably hitting a year before you pass 5,000 miles anyways, so of course, you should be sticking with annual oil changes rather than 10k.
Same for my wife's '15 Rav, which is on its 4th oil change and just hit 30k after 4 years. The only reason it's above 20k is because we used it for a few road trips to Texas.

But my Corolla? It's a '16 and has about 78k on it... on its 8th oil change. I plan for ~10k and change it when weather is agreeable and it's convenient any time after 8k... but that's still ~3 oil changes/year.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Well, I don't think it's appropriate to say that OP is wasting money by having an oil analysis done. Some people plan on keeping their cars for a very long time and it may very well be worth the piece of mind to them to know that their engine is functioning fine and will last many, many more years. We bought the 2001 Camry in my signature brand new 18 years ago, and I fully plan on keeping that car at least another 10+ years. In fact, it is the first car my mom ever purchased and it is still her daily driver (so yes, it's the only car she's owned in her lifetime so far, and she is not young...). I have never spent the money to have an oil analysis done, but I have no reason to believe anything is wrong with the engine on my car. But I can understand the desire to have one done at 100K miles. Perhaps in a few years, when I am considering whether or not to continue taking my 2001 Camry on long road trips, I may have an oil analysis done for piece of mind. Thanks for posting your results for us to see.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Totally disagree... but that is MY opinion and applicable only to me. Two things to consider... first and foremost we are discussing this on the Corolla forum, right? For a moment there I thought I had been redirected to a Ferrari forum. For the 11th gen I would be more concerned with the CVT than the engine. The same engine design has been around for years and the billions of miles on this design around the world eases my mind far better than an oil analysis ever could. Secondly, and more importantly, what is it you can tell from the results? The trace metals and elements of the analysis were most likely present in the oil when new... without a before and after analysis all you have is, well nothing. Like I said before, to each his own on what to do with their money. $28 for an analysis will get you the supplies for one additional oil change. Buy the supplies and change early if you are so concerned, otherwise keep on keeping on. My extra $28 will always go for an extra or early change.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm working on moving because I'll be moving to management position next year (I don't know where my assignment will be yet). I'm not looking for a new job because I already have 14 years in. If there was a helipad at work, I'd consider that option... lol

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm only answering because I'm feeling generous. I would think my original post would have answered some of your questions, but I guess not. My commute alone accounts for my yearly mileage. My average is 45K miles per year. With the commute alone, I lack time. I already change my oil every 3 to 4 months because I accumulate 10K miles in that span of time. More frequent changes is both a waste of time and money. Second, I do a full inspection of my car during both oil changes and tire rotations (which is done every 5K). The reason I pay for the analysis is because I like to know the condition of the engine. To me, it's worth every penny and I can afford it. What IS a waste of time is tearing down the engine every oil change to inspect the components within it.

I drive cars until I can't drive them anymore or it's cost effective to get another car opposed to performing repairs (especially major ones). The most mileage on a single car I owned is 414,000 miles. My previous car had 291,000 when I donated it (needed far too much work to pass inspection). I always buy used cars because I can't see myself paying for a new one. Any car I've bought goes through a complete inspection by me. But that initial inspection doesn't always tell you what exactly happened to the engine or how the car was driven. The transmission is a bit easier, but still can be a mystery too. I do all of the work on my own car. I like to be ahead of the game when it comes to any repairs. The last thing I want is to be on the side of the road waiting 2 hours or more for AAA to show up. Heck, I usually buy what I need for upcoming repairs in advance so that I have everything needed when it's time.

Last, I cut my own hair, I don't eat out because of food allergies, and I have no delinquent bills.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Excellent UOAs. 10k interval is easy with your driving style.

What filter?
I use a WIX metal filter. There's a plastic version, but I never used it. So I can't exactly comment on it.

Link: [ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FHG8180/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree. Just use good oil and filters and change it every 5000 miles (synthetic).
Thanks for volunteering to change my oil every 1 to 2 months at 5K miles. That's how often I get to 5K miles. Maybe you want to go halves on the oil and filter that I use?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I couldn't agree more. Just my opinion, but it's such a waste of money, time, and effort. I don't know of anyone who has owned one car their entire lifetime! As an engineer I enjoy reading this stuff. It's so comical how people freak out when the see the test results. Most don't even understand what their looking at data wise. There is no established industry standards for element limits and what is/is not acceptable. Try taking a report that shows a high level of a specific element to a Toyota service dept. They will laugh at you. Even more so, if you try and blame an engine failure on the results of some random oil analysis. If you like throwing your hard earned money away, at least give to a worthy cause. Just change your oil at the recommended interval or sooner. That's one less thing in life to keep from stressing you out.
You're welcome to your opinion. I don't agree with you. I think taking the car to a dealer to do repairs that you can do yourself is an even bigger waste of money, time, and effort. I would never take my car to a dealer unless a recall is involved. I don't have hours to waste at a dealership "waiting" for my car to be worked on. I personally never had a car with a failed engine, it's usually non engine parts that fail. I've been working on cars since I was 16 years old. The difference between cars then and now is that some parts that were once hydraulic or mechanical have been replaced with an electronic version. People find newer cars intimidating; but with the right tools and knowledge of automotive electronics, it's not that difficult/intimidating. I do agree, some people have no clue what they're reading. It's not difficult to learn what the analysis says if you're willing to take the time to learn. As far as "throwing away" money is concerned what I do with my money is none of your concern. I'm willing to bet you "throw away" money. If you tell me you don't, I'd call you a liar.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My drive is 45 miles each way. LA traffic. I leave home at 5, it's an hour in the morning and 2 for the trip home at 4.

Move? My condo is $1200/mo. Cheapest I would be able to get within 10 miles of work would be $3000 unless I want to live in a ghetto, and even then it would be $2000+. New job? My position is extremely specialized and there are pretty much no opportunities available except after someone retires or dies. Career change would mean half the income... and I don't make enough to buy a helicopter :D

My next move will be out of Commiefornia.
I'm in the NY metro area, so I understand traffic well. Moving's no problem, but it really won't matter to me. I'm moving to management next year and my travel will increase, not decrease. If my employer provides me a car, that would be wonderful. I won't hold my breath though. My next move will be to Nevada (at or before retirement).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I don't think it's appropriate to say that OP is wasting money by having an oil analysis done. Some people plan on keeping their cars for a very long time and it may very well be worth the piece of mind to them to know that their engine is functioning fine and will last many, many more years. We bought the 2001 Camry in my signature brand new 18 years ago, and I fully plan on keeping that car at least another 10+ years. In fact, it is the first car my mom ever purchased and it is still her daily driver (so yes, it's the only car she's owned in her lifetime so far, and she is not young...). I have never spent the money to have an oil analysis done, but I have no reason to believe anything is wrong with the engine on my car. But I can understand the desire to have one done at 100K miles. Perhaps in a few years, when I am considering whether or not to continue taking my 2001 Camry on long road trips, I may have an oil analysis done for piece of mind. Thanks for posting your results for us to see.
Thank you very much jiantao. I tend to keep my cars until it's insanely expensive to fix myself or it dies (I haven't had a car die yet). Since I started driving, I had 5 cars. There were stretches of time where a car wasn't needed so I either walked or rode my bike.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
11 Participants
mark888
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing