** DRL/High-beam --> Xtreme LED headlight kit
** Switchbacks --> VLED 7443
- LED interior & exterior lights
- Flip key FOB
- Husky all weather mats
- Mirror turn signals
- Dash cam
- Remote start (using OEM key fob)

** Before asking any turn signal related question, please check post 842 of this thread...

Reviews

Check out my in-depth review of the XenonDepot 9005 Phillips LMZ led headlight kit here:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/310-7th-generation-2012/1040969-xenondepot-new-phillips-lmz-led-headlight-kit-review.html

Here is a comparison btw LED & HID for low-beam application:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/310-7th-generation-2012/1251673-h11-head2head-opt7-fluxbeam-led-vs-xenondepot-xtreme-hid-vs-kensun-all-one-led.html

Pictures

>> Mirror turns signals

>> 5000K XenonDepot Xtreme HIDs w/ LED switchbacks

>> 5K HIDs w/ XenonDepot Phillips LMZ LED high-beams

>> OEM vs. 5K HIDs

>> HID beam projection cut off on the wall

>> LED brake, reverse & license plate lights

>> LED Phillips interior lights

--- Update 02/07/15 ---

After taking a look @ this post --> http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/310-7th-generation-2012/416218-glove-box-led-wiring-voltage-replacement.html , I got inspired into replacing the dull OEM yellow glove box light w/ LED.

Glove box is MUCH brighter now

You can't see the light fixture from the driver or pass. seating position. I tucked it in there

Flip key mod

·
It's Official
9,213 Posts
Excellent write up!!!

The XenonDepot HIDs combined with the switchback LED lights look awesome!!! WAY better than stock. Way to go, and thanks for posting!!!

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent write up!!!

The XenonDepot HIDs combined with the switchback LED lights look awesome!!! WAY better than stock. Way to go, and thanks for posting!!!
Couldn't agree more :) Though it will look much better once I get the VLED 5K triton switchback as the current LEDs aren't as bright as the picture conveys

·
2015 SE
44 Posts
I have the exact same color and model 2015. I plan to do the switch backs once I figure out the wiring. Ordering xenon 4300 this week. Looks great thanks for the post.

·
It's Official
9,213 Posts
Couldn't agree more :) Though it will look much better once I get the VLED 5K triton switchback as the current LEDs aren't as bright as the picture conveys
The VLEDs are going to be some serious bulbs. I've used their V3 systems before and I have been extremely happy. I'm sure you will be, too!

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The VLEDs are going to be some serious bulbs. I've used their V3 systems before and I have been extremely happy. I'm sure you will be, too!
I hope so :)

I just put in an order this evening for the 5K Switchback V3 Triton by VLED. They have been out of stock for over two months now & there is a waiting list for the bulbs that came in today!

Will do a detailed update whenever I receive them.

·
It's Official
9,213 Posts
I hope so :)

I just put in an order this evening for the 5K Switchback V3 Triton by VLED. They have been out of stock for over two months now & there is a waiting list for the bulbs that came in today!

Will do a detailed update whenever I receive them.
By far, the worst thing about VLEDS is their inventory management and prediction. I can assure you, they will be worth the wait :)

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Same here. I've been waiting for my tritons for over a month.
I spoke to the VLED rep last night -- around 5pm EST -- and he stated that although they got some 5K Tritons yesterday, they are still backordered for weeks on the 7443/7440 adapters & WA controller/module device -- that allow for the dimming feature -- for the bulbs

It's clear their devices are very popular and complicated to manufacture. But unfortunately for me, no one else has such high quality LEDs in the current market

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Nice install car looks awesome! would you please post pictures of the VLEDs once you have them installed? Also where did you get the LED for the drl?
Thanks. I got the CREE 2000 lumen led for my DRL/high-beam from Amazon. They are just as bright as my OEM high-beam when I turn on my high-beams on

Here is my updated quick review w/ my V3 Triton Switchback installed:

--- Update 02/02/15 ---

Now that I have replaced my old LEDs from amazon w/ the V3 Triton Switchback, I can confidently say they were worth their $130 asking price. Not only are they much brighter, they are also a perfect temperature match to my XenonDepot 5K HIDs.

Note:

Due to their brightness, @ the advice of the VLED rep I spoke to on the phone & from my initial impressions, I had to hard wire the V3 Tritons to my OEM headlight on both sides in order to enable the "dim" mode function of the V3 Tritons. Otherwise, in their "normal" mode, it looked like I had high-beams as fog lights! They are that bright!

Pictures

This is the V3 Triton kit I got:

1) WA Gen 2.5 controller --> its like the ballast for the bulbs & also controls the dimming function

2) Dim cable --> although optional, I HIGHLY recommend you hard wire this to your OEM headlight harness as the bulbs are obnoxiously bright @ night

3) These cables DO NOT come w/ the kit. I got this as a courtesy from VLED because they were short on 7443 adapters & thus I had the option of either waiting for another 2 wks to get those or cut off my OEM 7443 harness & hardwire these to the wires

4) V3 Triton 5K bulbs

5) Washers & screws--> to put on the bulbs to give them a snug fit

6) Collar adapter --> I did NOT use these. But they are for other types of fog light bulbs but not the 7443

The turn signals always shine @ full brightness which is good as its temporary & moreover alerts other drivers of my turn much better than the factory halogens

·
Registered
23 Posts
That looks very good. Thats exactly what I want to do if get a 2015 Camry. I just don't want the car payments lol. The only thing missing is some nice LED tail lights but I dont think there are any out yet for the 2015. About how much did you spend total on all the lights, if you dont mind me asking?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was lucky w/ my car payments as I had a 2010 Camry LE to trade in w/ about 97K miles & w/ my credit score was able to get a really low APR :smile:

Also, you can get LED tail lights easily as the Camry 2012-15 uses 7443 bulb type. Several vendors on Amazon sell them. I have LED tail lights on my 15' SE right now but am looking into getting some w/ higher lumens similar to my reverse lights. I did consider getting the VLED amber but don't want to spend $90 on some tail lights...lol

The only things NOT LED on my Camry (except my HIDs) are my rear turn signals, side markers, & glove box light. Am changing the glove box light later today due to its extreme dimness & the rear turn signals another day when am bored enough. I can't be bothered w/ the side markers

Upgrade Breakdown Cost

DRL/high-beam --> $70
XenonDepot HID --> $130 (I used their coupon)
Interior lights (including license plate & trunk) --> $15
Tail & reverse lights --> $40
VLED V3 Triton for my front parking/turn signal --> $130

Labor cost --> FREE!! :grin:

After seeing the final product, I personally feel every $ was worth it
Sounds reasonable, about what I expected, those interior lights seem really cheap though. Last time I bought some for my car they were like $20 per set. I meant the actually tail light being LED like the Avalon, Lexus or many of the higher end cars now days. I know you can put LED bulbs in the OE tail lights but that just changes the brightness of the bulb not the look of the actual tail light. Still looks good though.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds reasonable, about what I expected, those interior lights seem really cheap though. Last time I bought some for my car they were like $20 per set. I meant the actually tail light being LED like the Avalon, Lexus or many of the higher end cars now days. I know you can put LED bulbs in the OE tail lights but that just changes the brightness of the bulb not the look of the actual tail light. Still looks good though.
Ok I get what you mean about the tail lights. And yeah the interior LEDs are cheap but of good quality on Amazon. The buyer reviews helped me when choosing who to buy from

·
Registered
44 Posts
So with the Vled switchbacks are the resistors necessary? I just picked up a 2015 SE and I'm interesting in getting them but I'm afraid to screw up the wiring.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
This is a beautiful mod log. The pictures showing the LED vs halogen are great. I love the V3s/
Thanks! I hoped the pictures would help give ppl a better visual as describing an upgrade is one thing but SEEING the result is completely different. And yeah, the V3 Tritons were definitely worth the upgrade although they were by far my most difficult installation. But the results were worth it :wink:

So with the Vled switchbacks are the resistors necessary? I just picked up a 2015 SE and I'm interesting in getting them but I'm afraid to screw up the wiring.
Yes they are! In my initial install, I wired the V3 directly to my OEM wiring just to see if they would hyper-flash & they did! So you MUST install load resistors -- a pair of 50W 6Ohm (one for each side) -- in order to avoid hyper-flash. You will need to tap the ends of the resistors into TWO of the three wires. The parking & the turn signal wire. I forget their colors but worst case you try it three times.

Note:

- I didn't get my resistors from VLED & so have no idea how to hook theirs up. I noticed they require a V3 resistor ($16) + resistor adapter ($10) --> which I feel is expensive but hey am just a cheap college student :).

- I got two pairs of resistors off Amazon for $8.99 (sold by CUTEQUEEN) as I know I want to change my rear turn signals to LED in the near future & thus wanted to have another pair on hand. They work perfectly & so the choice is yours

I have NO electrical/mechanical background & this is my first time ever modifying a car. So I am confident you can do it! lol :grin:

Any plans to lower the car?
No I don't. I like to remain as stock as possible & only change things that I feel will be easy to undo or can actually increase the value of my car come time for a trade in. Moreover, I am already worried about the clearance of the car as it is! lol

I never see myself changing things like the wheels or modifying my air filters. That's just not my thing I guess. But I am considering a strut/sway bar possibly though as I feel the SE sways too much @ corners :)

·
It's Official
9,213 Posts
That's kind of crappy VLEDS got rid of the built in resistor that came on the V3's for forever. No way in hell I would buy them over their Platinum line now, unless I wanted the switchback feature you have. All my V3's had the built in resistor, sucks they got rid of it. IMO, for that price of the V3's, they should come with the built in resistor.

1 - 20 of 1140 Posts