Toyota Nation Forum banner

61 - 80 of 1140 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I have a 2014.5 SE V6 and am using the 9005 version, for high-beam/DRL included in the same bulb. I also noticed that the XD LED bulbs dont sit as tight in the housing as the OE Halogens did either... I mean, they're no loose, but you can feel that they are not as tight as the halogen bulb.
Intersting. I think I see what you mean about the snugness but in my few days driving, they have not moved.

I just posted my in depth review & take on them here: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/310-7th-generation-2012/1040969-xenondepot-s-new-phillips-lmz-led-headlight-kit-review.html#post8870257

·
Registered
155 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
This may be unrelated, but the new corollas have led low beams. Am I right? If so, how's the light output compared to halogens. I'm guessing it still doesn't beat HIDs. How does the led bulb of a Rolla compare to these bulbs in terms of design and performance?

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #66 (Edited)
This may be unrelated, but the new corollas have led low beams. Am I right? If so, how's the light output compared to halogens. I'm guessing it still doesn't beat HIDs. How does the led bulb of a Rolla compare to these bulbs in terms of design and performance?
Being that i have seen several 14-15' Corollas around my area, I can tell you that their LEDs are definitely brighter that halogens but not up to par to say my XenonD 5K HIDs though.

Moreover, I actually feel Toyota did a poor job of aiming those LEDs as I am often tempted to flash 14' & above Corolla owners due to the bright blueish glare of their low beams.

As "VTAK8k" (the #2 post) in this thread: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/377-11th-generation-2014/801618-discovered-14-corolla-has-led-headlights-have-questions-about-toyota-help.html will convey, the lights are annoying which is why he/she often gets flashed

I haven't tested LEDs in a projector/low beam housing so can't speak for how they would perform but I personally would NEVER go aftermarket on my low beam w/ anything other than HIDs due to the lack of focus & light spread when LEDs are put in halogen housings. Companies like Tesla & Mercedes go through a lot of effort in order to get HID like performance out of LEDs. I doubt one bulb swap can achieve the same results.

Just my 2 cents :dunno:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Gotcha. I had a feeling something was off with those lights. They may not be perfect, but thumbs up to Toyota for trying to be "premium" lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Omo! Your reviews on the DRL leds and lowbeam hids are convincing me to make my purchase soon for my new 15 SE! I'm not really car savvy so i'm going to attempt to install the lights myself. Is there anyway you can post a picture of where you keep the ballast and everything inside the engine? I have no clue where a good spot would be to keep all the ways safe inside the engine. Thank you! :grin:

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #70 (Edited)
Hi Omo! Your reviews on the DRL leds and lowbeam hids are convincing me to make my purchase soon for my new 15 SE! I'm not really car savvy so i'm going to attempt to install the lights myself. Is there anyway you can post a picture of where you keep the ballast and everything inside the engine? I have no clue where a good spot would be to keep all the ways safe inside the engine. Thank you! :grin:
I too was new to everything in regards to car modifications. This is my first time making any changes to a car & so if I can go it, am sure any1 can.

Here are the the places I put my XenonD HID ballasts in my 15' Camry:

--> for the pax HID, I ziptied the wires to the side metal & hid the ballast behind the removable plastic housing
~ I also used double sided tape to mount the ballast on the metal (it came w/ the XenonDepot HID kit)

--> for the drivers side, I used double sided tape to mount the ballast in front of the battery on the metal
~ its important to zip-tie any excess cables as a fail safe & for neatness

·
Registered
44 Posts
Installed my VLED's on one side by I was disappointed by the color. They were super white but made my HID's look yellow. Maybe the 5k HID's need to be broken in more? Not sure if I'll be keeping them. :(

·
It's Official
9,213 Posts
Installed my VLED's on one side by I was disappointed by the color. They were super white but made my HID's look yellow. Maybe the 5k HID's need to be broken in more? Not sure if I'll be keeping them. :(
On the Tundra forum someone reported the same thing...VLEDS 5k didn't match the 5000k HIDs. Only one guy reported that there, though.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I swapped out one of my HID's from my last car (same color - 5k) and the color was definitely different than my current bulbs. Maybe my current bulbs need to break in more, they only have a maximum of 10 hours on them. I'm debating if I should give the LED's another shot.

·
It's Official
9,213 Posts
I swapped out one of my HID's from my last car (same color - 5k) and the color was definitely different than my current bulbs. Maybe my current bulbs need to break in more, they only have a maximum of 10 hours on them. I'm debating if I should give the LED's another shot.
Hmm...I would look at the HID bulbs instead of the LED bulbs then.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #76 (Edited)
During the day, if I have low beam headlights on -- which I wouldn't but just wanted to compare the lights in the daytime -- the 5K V3 Tritons do NOT perfectly match my XenonD 5K HIDs. Like I said in a previous post, I believe this could be due to technological differences in regards to the components. I might be wrong.

But @ night time, one can't tell the difference as they both look bright white. The V3 Tritons compliment my XD 5K HIDs well. Moreover, after driving w/ the HIDs overtime, the XD HIDs match the VLED much better

Are your 5K HIDs from XenonDepot?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes, they are from XenonDepot. It's the same setup but I know for sure now that the HID bulb hasn't burned in yet.

Still, I was expecting a some what similar color tone overall. VLEDS support has been great and said they'd let me return them which is awesome. Another thing I didn't like was the pause from amber back to white. Their response to that was "You'll be happy to know we are working on a new controller with snap switching!".

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Yes, they are from XenonDepot. It's the same setup but I know for sure now that the HID bulb hasn't burned in yet.

Still, I was expecting a some what similar color tone overall. VLEDS support has been great and said they'd let me return them which is awesome. Another thing I didn't like was the pause from amber back to white. Their response to that was "You'll be happy to know we are working on a new controller with snap switching!".
I guess it's personal preference. At night time, I think the V3 Tritons & my XD 5K leds look good together. During the day, they are clearly shades away from one another.

Also, w/ the cheap switchback LEDs I got from Amazon prior to the V3 Tritons, there was also a pause when going from turn signal to parking light mode. I personally don't mind the pause since its less than a sec & think it makes for a smooth transition.

·
It's Official
9,213 Posts
The pause between amber to white has been something that people have disliked since they were created. VLEDS has gradually made it better (faster). So it doesn't surprise me that they are working on creating a control box that eliminates the pause. This will be their...what, 5th? or 6th? version of the control box? Hopefully by this time next year they have the new control box released and are able to keep them in stock.
@auero I wouldn't return the V3 switchbacks, as they are the best on the market. I would wait for the HID bulbs to burn in.

·
Toyota | moving forward
1,535 Posts
Nice thread! I especially like the parking light/turn signal upgrades in the front. We just picked up my gf's 2015 Camry SE in Blizzard Pearl and it's a sweet ride. We were tired so we haven't done anything yet, but we have all the old LEDs from her 2009 Camry. The incandescent license plate lights look so ugly.. we haven't had those on any of our cars in ages!

She sold her 2009 Camry privately for $11K (dealer was offering $8500 max trade-in value) and is very happy with the upgrade. Her old Camry was a plain LE like your old 2010 so she's loving having the rims and stuff. So sad, guess my 2005 Camry is now the "junk car" we will take to places with crappy parking lots. My car only has 56K miles on it so I'll probably keep it for at least a few more years. I detail it every week and added OEM fogs and OEM rims so it's not super plain, but dang, I like the 2015 SE!

61 - 80 of 1140 Posts