Toyota Nation Forum banner

81 - 100 of 1140 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #81 (Edited)
Nice thread! I especially like the parking light/turn signal upgrades in the front. We just picked up my gf's 2015 Camry SE in Blizzard Pearl and it's a sweet ride. We were tired so we haven't done anything yet, but we have all the old LEDs from her 2009 Camry. The incandescent license plate lights look so ugly.. we haven't had those on any of our cars in ages!

She sold her 2009 Camry privately for $11K (dealer was offering $8500 max trade-in value) and is very happy with the upgrade. Her old Camry was a plain LE like your old 2010 so she's loving having the rims and stuff. So sad, guess my 2005 Camry is now the "junk car" we will take to places with crappy parking lots. My car only has 56K miles on it so I'll probably keep it for at least a few more years. I detail it every week and added OEM fogs and OEM rims so it's not super plain, but dang, I like the 2015 SE!
Congrats on the new car! I too got around 8K for my trade-in but was okay w/ it as I felt selling it privately my be cumbersome even though I probs would have gotten a higher value.

But I agree, going from a 10' LE to a 15' SE was quite the jump for me as well. The redesign on the 15' SE inspired me to customize it to my hearts content -- as I too disliked the default halogen interior & exterior lighting & the amber parking/turn signal -- but I don't intend on making changes such as installing lowering springs as those are challenging to undo & affect the ride & handling.

Out of curiosity, how many miles was on your gf's camry when you sold it? Moreover, did you sell it through a site like auto-trader or car gurus? If not, how did you guys go about selling it privately?

·
Registered
44 Posts
The pause between amber to white has been something that people have disliked since they were created. VLEDS has gradually made it better (faster). So it doesn't surprise me that they are working on creating a control box that eliminates the pause. This will be their...what, 5th? or 6th? version of the control box? Hopefully by this time next year they have the new control box released and are able to keep them in stock.
@auero I wouldn't return the V3 switchbacks, as they are the best on the market. I would wait for the HID bulbs to burn in.
I already shipped them out so it's too late to keep them. After giving it some thought, I realized that it's just another item to potentially give me issues at the most inconvenient time. Personally, the aesthetics of the switchbacks don't outweigh the cost. I don't doubt the products quality or durability but let's face it, water, salt, and heat eventually wins (just like any other product). I've gone through the hassle of replacing/troubleshooting HID ballasts in my previous car. They had to be mounted behind the bumper and it sucked when something went wrong.

By no means do I discourage anyone from buying them. They were super bright (definitely need to connect that dimming cable) and they worked great. I'd recommend them to anyone looking for proper switchbacks. They just weren't for me :)

Oh, and just to add, VLEDS has new resistors that are just a single plug into their harness. They looked and worked great. I left them on and didn't even notice them getting warm. Definitely recommend them!

Nice thread! I especially like the parking light/turn signal upgrades in the front. We just picked up my gf's 2015 Camry SE in Blizzard Pearl and it's a sweet ride. We were tired so we haven't done anything yet, but we have all the old LEDs from her 2009 Camry. The incandescent license plate lights look so ugly.. we haven't had those on any of our cars in ages!

She sold her 2009 Camry privately for $11K (dealer was offering $8500 max trade-in value) and is very happy with the upgrade. Her old Camry was a plain LE like your old 2010 so she's loving having the rims and stuff. So sad, guess my 2005 Camry is now the "junk car" we will take to places with crappy parking lots. My car only has 56K miles on it so I'll probably keep it for at least a few more years. I detail it every week and added OEM fogs and OEM rims so it's not super plain, but dang, I like the 2015 SE!
Man, that kind of irks me. My dealer said that you can't get blizzard pearl in the SE model on the 2015. I figured he was wrong but when I went home there was not a single dealer within 100 miles that had one in that or the red color.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Car looks nice! Where did you get the brake, reverse, and turn signals bulbs? Are they the same for the 2012 camry? Would I need any adapters or resistors, or would I just plug it in?

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #84 (Edited)
Car looks nice! Where did you get the brake, reverse, and turn signals bulbs? Are they the same for the 2012 camry? Would I need any adapters or resistors, or would I just plug it in?
I got the brake & reverse lights from Amazon (JDM is the seller I got them from). The front turn signals are from VLED & are called the V3 Triton 5K switchback. Best switchback led on the market. I got them after I was disappointed with the output & color of the switchback turn signals I got from Amazon.

Moreover, the 2012-15 have the same bulbs for the brake, reverse & rear turn signals. Not sure about the front turn signals as the 15' SE use the front turn signal & parking light in the same housing where as the 12-14' SE have fog lights. Also, you WILL need resistors when replacing turn signals w/ LEDs. I bought my resistors from Amazon. $8 for 2pairs. Work perfectly :)

·
Registered
2015 Camry XSE
3 Posts
Very nice! Thanks for the LED/HID reviews, I am currently changing out my interior lights with LEDs and was wondering, how did you go about getting into the front map light? I keep looking at it and can't figure how to even get the cover off? thanks!

·
Toyota | moving forward
1,535 Posts
How did you guys get the license plate light trim off without destroying it? I got one side off and the other side just refused to come off. I didn't want to destroy it with a screwdriver trying to pry it off through the little notch. My gf ended up just pulling it out but it bent the clip. Went back in just fine but I would like to know how you guys are doing it. Same with the courtesy lights in the door.. we scratched up her old '09's trim area and light cover trying to get it off.

So far, loving the 2015. Gas mileage is a big improvement over the old 2.4L w/ 5spd auto. It feels like a much more upscale car than the previous gen Camrys. My gf took it to get tinted yesterday, 35% (our state legal limit.. I can get our cars past the safety inspection and out of a ticket if need be, but hardly worth it) - she chose ceramic tint with a lifetime warranty for $230. Looks great!

·
It's Official
16 Tundra, 14 RAV4,
9,213 Posts
Loosen the bolts and get the cover off enough to pull the license plate lights off. I never did pull the entire trim piece.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #88 (Edited)
Very nice! Thanks for the LED/HID reviews, I am currently changing out my interior lights with LEDs and was wondering, how did you go about getting into the front map light? I keep looking at it and can't figure how to even get the cover off? thanks!
This video should help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIYXMElJLlk

How did you guys get the license plate light trim off without destroying it? I got one side off and the other side just refused to come off. I didn't want to destroy it with a screwdriver trying to pry it off through the little notch. My gf ended up just pulling it out but it bent the clip. Went back in just fine but I would like to know how you guys are doing it. Same with the courtesy lights in the door.. we scratched up her old '09's trim area and light cover trying to get it off.

So far, loving the 2015. Gas mileage is a big improvement over the old 2.4L w/ 5spd auto. It feels like a much more upscale car than the previous gen Camrys. My gf took it to get tinted yesterday, 35% (our state legal limit.. I can get our cars past the safety inspection and out of a ticket if need be, but hardly worth it) - she chose ceramic tint with a lifetime warranty for $230. Looks great!
I got a set of prying tools from Amazon in order to avoid scratches/destroying the car materials. They are cheap & useful for any DIY person

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi OmoPastor. So I have been reading through your HID upgrade forum and it started putting lots of ideas in my head. I bought a '15 SE in November and have recently updated all the interior lights and plate lights to LED. I want to upgrade my Low Beams, DRL/high beams next but my question is this. With the combination of your HIDs and your CREEs do you have 4 ballasts under the hood? If so where did you put them? Can I get some pictures by chance to get an idea? Hope to hear from you. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Hi OmoPastor. So I have been reading through your HID upgrade forum and it started putting lots of ideas in my head. I bought a '15 SE in November and have recently updated all the interior lights and plate lights to LED. I want to upgrade my Low Beams, DRL/high beams next but my question is this. With the combination of your HIDs and your CREEs do you have 4 ballasts under the hood? If so where did you put them? Can I get some pictures by chance to get an idea? Hope to hear from you. Thanks for your time.
I only have 2 ballasts under my hood. These are for the XenonDepot 5K HIDs. The leds did not need ballasts as they were direct plug & play. Moreover, I recently switched from the CREE led to XenonDepots New Phillips LMZ led headlight bulbs.

I did an in depth review w/ images here: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/310-7th-generation-2012/1040969-xenondepot-new-phillips-lmz-led-headlight-kit-review.html

Here are the the places I put my XenonD HID ballasts in my 15' Camry:

--> for the pax HID, I ziptied the wires to the side metal & hid the ballast behind the removable plastic housing
~ I also used double sided tape to mount the ballast on the metal (it came w/ the XenonDepot HID kit)

--> for the drivers side, I used double sided tape to mount the ballast in front of the battery on the metal
~ its important to zip-tie any excess cables as a fail safe & for neatness

·
Toyota | moving forward
1,535 Posts
Congrats on the new car! I too got around 8K for my trade-in but was okay w/ it as I felt selling it privately my be cumbersome even though I probs would have gotten a higher value.

But I agree, going from a 10' LE to a 15' SE was quite the jump for me as well. The redesign on the 15' SE inspired me to customize it to my hearts content -- as I too disliked the default halogen interior & exterior lighting & the amber parking/turn signal -- but I don't intend on making changes such as installing lowering springs as those are challenging to undo & affect the ride & handling.

Out of curiosity, how many miles was on your gf's camry when you sold it? Moreover, did you sell it through a site like auto-trader or car gurus? If not, how did you guys go about selling it privately?

Oops, didn't see this when I replied via the mobile site earlier. The SE is so much fancier than the LE and handles better. BUT - the ride is definitely stiffer. My gf is not sure if she quite likes that but her old LE's handling felt mushy compared to her new SE. Well worth it IMO. Like you, no major changes to the 2015. I am debating on having color matched reverse sensors installed though. The backup camera is great but I have both on my own Camry and in tandem it's especially helpful. I wish I lived out in a city where parking was plentiful and stalls are huge, but parking stalls in my crowded city are Corolla sized and lots of people don't know how to park.

My gf's Camry had 59,500 miles and she sold it on Craigslist. We had just replaced the brakes (ourselves, so it didn't cost much) and I had installed a backup camera. It had one accident on its CarFax and she was the second owner so its value wasn't quite as high as it could have been. I feel like $11K was nearly top dollar though. She paid $14.6K (including tax and tags!) when it was one year old so she made out like a bandit.

I need to put LEDs in her map lights, courtesy door lights, and trunk. She picked up rubber all-weather floor mats from Toyota today. Costco has $15 mats but we're kind of picky so our cars have Camry floor mats. Years ago my local Toyota dealer was clearing out their old stock of parts and since my Camry was already the last gen at the time, I got a set of four genuine Toyota brand alloy rims for my car for $200 total, and a full set of carpeted mats for $20. My gf said she hopes they blow their old parts out again when her Camry is older so she can buy extra mats and stuff for it :laugh:

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Oops, didn't see this when I replied via the mobile site earlier. The SE is so much fancier than the LE and handles better. BUT - the ride is definitely stiffer. My gf is not sure if she quite likes that but her old LE's handling felt mushy compared to her new SE. Well worth it IMO. Like you, no major changes to the 2015. I am debating on having color matched reverse sensors installed though. The backup camera is great but I have both on my own Camry and in tandem it's especially helpful. I wish I lived out in a city where parking was plentiful and stalls are huge, but parking stalls in my crowded city are Corolla sized and lots of people don't know how to park.

My gf's Camry had 59,500 miles and she sold it on Craigslist. We had just replaced the brakes (ourselves, so it didn't cost much) and I had installed a backup camera. It had one accident on its CarFax and she was the second owner so its value wasn't quite as high as it could have been. I feel like $11K was nearly top dollar though. She paid $14.6K (including tax and tags!) when it was one year old so she made out like a bandit.

I need to put LEDs in her map lights, courtesy door lights, and trunk. She picked up rubber all-weather floor mats from Toyota today. Costco has $15 mats but we're kind of picky so our cars have Camry floor mats. Years ago my local Toyota dealer was clearing out their old stock of parts and since my Camry was already the last gen at the time, I got a set of four genuine Toyota brand alloy rims for my car for $200 total, and a full set of carpeted mats for $20. My gf said she hopes they blow their old parts out again when her Camry is older so she can buy extra mats and stuff for it :laugh:
Good for her! You guys are smart buyers :thumbsup: 11K after a yr is not bad. Thnx for the info. I would definitely like to see pics if you do get around to installing those backup sensors.

Although the 15' SE has an improved handling, it still pales in my opinion in comparison to the 2014-15' Mazda 6 driving dynamics which was my top sedan choice. Unfortunately, the Mazda dealer couldn't meet my price point & thus I settled for the 15' SE. The SE still sways to much for me @ corners.

I just installed my Husky Weatherbeater floor mats for my front & rear seats. Amazon had them on sale for a short while & they were definitely worth it. I disliked cleaning the OEM carpet mats

·
Toyota | moving forward
1,535 Posts
Good for her! You guys are smart buyers :thumbsup: 11K after a yr is not bad. Thnx for the info. I would definitely like to see pics if you do get around to installing those backup sensors.

Although the 15' SE has an improved handling, it still pales in my opinion in comparison to the 2014-15' Mazda 6 driving dynamics which was my top sedan choice. Unfortunately, the Mazda dealer couldn't meet my price point & thus I settled for the 15' SE. The SE still sways to much for me @ corners.

I just installed my Husky Weatherbeater floor mats for my front & rear seats. Amazon had them on sale for a short while & they were definitely worth it. I disliked cleaning the OEM carpet mats
No, she bought her 2009 Camry in 2010 for $14.7K OTD. Then sold it for $11K in 2015. She had the car for five years, not one, before selling it.

Oh man - I tried to convince my gf to check out the Mazda dealership (I like the new 6 myself, though I haven't driven it) but she didn't want to. My neighbor just bought a leftover 2014 Mazda 3 Grand Touring and it looks nice! I got to drive the last gen 2013 Mazda 3 Touring 6MT for about a month off and on and liked it a lot. The SkyActiv 2.0L produces almost as much power as the 2.4L in my Camry so it made the small car feel fast.. that and the 6MT helped I'm sure. Plus the car was new.

How much and for what trim was your Mazda dealer asking? My gf really, really wanted the Camry XSE but they only had one or two and all were optioned out to the max so they were around $30-32K before taxes. Did you test drive the XSE as well? I was thinking that probably handles closer to the 6. I felt like the ride was a little too firm. The roads in Hawaii are one of the worst in the nation so I told her that was not a good idea. We test drove soooo many cars I was exhausted. A particularly good deal was a 2014 Maxima 3.5S with 10K miles for $19K but it along with the Altima have a CVT so we passed. The Maxima sure handled well and had push-you-into-your-seat power!

Anyway, thanks again for posting all your pics. I like coming to TN because other people like to make their Camrys look nice. I need to order a set of trim removal tools.. I think my relative should have some already tho so I'll just borrow his so we can install the courtesy lights sooner rather than later. I also need to do the map lights still too. I'm kind of thinking about the illuminated door sill plates too. My friend has them on the '07 IS250 she just bought and they're pretty neat.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #95 (Edited)
No, she bought her 2009 Camry in 2010 for $14.7K OTD. Then sold it for $11K in 2015. She had the car for five years, not one, before selling it.

How much and for what trim was your Mazda dealer asking? My gf really, really wanted the Camry XSE but they only had one or two and all were optioned out to the max so they were around $30-32K before taxes. Did you test drive the XSE as well? I was thinking that probably handles closer to the 6. I felt like the ride was a little too firm. The roads in Hawaii are one of the worst in the nation so I told her that was not a good idea. We test drove soooo many cars I was exhausted. A particularly good deal was a 2014 Maxima 3.5S with 10K miles for $19K but it along with the Altima have a CVT so we passed. The Maxima sure handled well and had push-you-into-your-seat power!
If I recall correctly, the dealer wanted over 25K & some change out the door which was a 3K difference from my Camry SE out the door. This was for a silver 2015 Touring Mazda 6 model & they added a free fog light install because I told them I was trying to decide btw theirs & the next doors Toyota dealership's 15' SE which had park lights @ the bottom and I like the fog light look.

I ended up going w/ the 15' SE as I felt I got more bang for my buck. The 15' came w/ standard paddle shifters, halogen lights w/ auto on & off (the Mazda 6 Touring was only off & required a pckg to get on & off), heated side mirrors (again the 6 required a pkg), rear deck lid spoiler (u had to get the Grand Touring for that) and I preferred the interior look of the SE much more. The small Mazda 6 head unit screen was a real turn off & moreover, when streaming my songs from my iPhone 6 during my test drive, there was a clear hesitation when changing tracks that even the sales person noticed. Where as on the Camry, the song meta tag showed nicely on the large screen & scrolling & skipping thru songs was smooth and functional.

Four things the Mazda 6 Touring had against the 15' SE for me was it came standard w/ push to start, dual zone climate auto control, looked a lot sleeker from the exterior & of course MUCH better driving dynamics & mpg. After weighing the pros of both vehicles, I chose the 15' Camry SE. Mazda really needs to get w/ the times & increase the screen size as every1 from BMW & Audi to Toyota & Honda have a good size screen that syncs with the iTunes playlists & allows for easy read while driving. The small screen really turned me off on such a nice looking car. Even the online car reviewers I watched on YouT pointed out the same thin.

·
Registered
2015 Camry SE
21 Posts
Hello Mr. Omopastor and all here at the forums. I have a question regarding load resistors for my future LED lighting. I eventually want to swap all of my halogen bulbs to LED. I know I'll have to get resistors for my turn signals. I want to replace the rear first. Can i install two 50w 3 ohm in the rear to avoid having to install two more resistors for my future front V3 triton switchbacks?

Also, are there any other exterior LED bulbs that will require resistors? I hate the idea of having to splice or having to do anything permanent. Thank you!

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Hello Mr. Omopastor and all here at the forums. I have a question regarding load resistors for my future LED lighting. I eventually want to swap all of my halogen bulbs to LED. I know I'll have to get resistors for my turn signals. I want to replace the rear first. Can i install two 50w 3 ohm in the rear to avoid having to install two more resistors for my future front V3 triton switchbacks?

Also, are there any other exterior LED bulbs that will require resistors? I hate the idea of having to splice or having to do anything permanent. Thank you!
I am not sure about installing a pair of 50W 3Ohm resistors to avoid installing some in the front. From my convo w/ the VLED rep, I need a resistor for each turn signal. Only turn signals require resistors.

Also, I don't recommend using LED for your low beam headlight halogens due to the lack of focus & output.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #98 (Edited)
--- Update 03/16/15 ---

Upgraded my OEM key to a flip key

------------------------------------------------------------

Decided to invest in some Husky Floor liners for my 15' Camry SE after getting tired the difficulty of cleaning the OEM carpet mats. Can't believe those things were quoted as $299 on the car invoice...lol..And the dealer wouldn't let me excluded them in order to save $$.

These Husky's are definitely worth it. They fit perfectly & the spikes underneath keep each mat in its place. The only negative is that the drivers mat covers the trunk & gas opener but am fine w/ that or might just cut a hole there later

Moreover, I am willing to part ways w/ my OEM carpet mats if any1 is interested. Less than 3K miles on them :) PM me if interested

Pictures

Previous OEM carpet mats

Husky WeatherBeater

·
Registered
Camry XSE
404 Posts
i ordered all of my LEDs for my 15' from super bright leds. So far i have done all interior, trunk, license plate, doors.

@OmoPastor - how did you go about hard wiring the front lower turns? looking for some in depth details

check this out...looks like someone may have jacked your pics

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-DRL-Daytime-Running-Lights-High-Beams-For-2015-Toyota-Camry-No-Error-Code-/251876895345?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year:2015|Model:Camry|Submodel:XSE&hash=item3aa5086a71&vxp=mtr

81 - 100 of 1140 Posts