Toyota Nation Forum banner

1121 - 1140 of 1140 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Unfortunately, we don't have an install guide for the Camry but you can find a few other vehicles on our Review Page.

Danny
Damn, :( Will check it out anyways. thanks

@ShadeSlayer Do you only want a non-relay install? I have several photos I shot installing in a 2012 LE.
(I just did it old school because you weren't allowed to fuse HL in the old days. LOL)

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk
Would love to explore the possibility. Where can I get the links to those pics/ post?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm curious what LED replacement bulbs you guys are using for brake and tail lights on these cars.

I got a set from Amazon that were listed as replacement for the 7443 (I think) and when I installed one, it lot up really bright with my marker lights and also back fed through and lit up my third brake light and the brake light on the other side.

Knowing that these can be installed "backwards" I removed it and turned it around. Once I turned on my marker lights, the magic smoke came out of the LED bulb.

Thanks for the help.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had the Xenon Depot Extreme kit in my '11 Accord that I totaled two weeks ago. I bought a '15 Camry XSE last week to replace it. I only had the HID's in the Honda a month or so before I destroyed it but loved them and ordered the full Extreme kit from Xenon Depot for the Camry the day I bought the car. This weekend they'll go in and I can't wait! H11's are terrible bulbs in my opinion.

Anyway, time to start at page 1 of this thread and find out what has to be removed from the car to do the install. On the Accord the entire nose had to come off so this can't be any worse!

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I had the Xenon Depot Extreme kit in my '11 Accord that I totaled two weeks ago. I bought a '15 Camry XSE last week to replace it. I only had the HID's in the Honda a month or so before I destroyed it but loved them and ordered the full Extreme kit from Xenon Depot for the Camry the day I bought the car. This weekend they'll go in and I can't wait! H11's are terrible bulbs in my opinion.

Anyway, time to start at page 1 of this thread and find out what has to be removed from the car to do the install. On the Accord the entire nose had to come off so this can't be any worse!
Congrats on the new car! Let us know if you need any further help :)

Danny

·
Registered
21 Posts
Looking over the car today in preparing to do the install tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to mount the ballasts and relays? Right now I'm thinking the ballasts on the front horns, drivers side kinda under / in front of the battery and just on the flat on the passenger side. No real ideas on the relays yet.

·
Captain Camry
269 Posts
Looking over the car today in preparing to do the install tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to mount the ballasts and relays? Right now I'm thinking the ballasts on the front horns, drivers side kinda under / in front of the battery and just on the flat on the passenger side. No real ideas on the relays yet.

Watch this vid between minutes 7:20-11:50. Great location for both sides:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Awesome! Thanks!

Edit: Now that I watched again, I saw that video. I don't have brackets. Back to the drawing board. It's looking to me like on the horns in those locations is about the best though.

·
Captain Camry
269 Posts
I took the plunge and finally installed a HID kit.

I installed two kits a couple months ago but was not satisfied and didn't have the patience to work through it at that time. My biggest frustration was the HID 'bulb' socket fitment. I could not get the bulb into the socket and twisted into a locking position. The bulbs had metal tabs and I just could not seem to line them up right, or get enough leverage or pressure to get them in. I've changed many bulbs in my life, and this should have been the simplest part of the install, especially considering the amount of space under the Camry hood in that area. Once I finally installed them, I had one flickering side. I gave it the college try and used another set, this time one side was a different color than the other. I installed a 35W AC 6000K kit in both scenarios, I was displeased with the color. Being rather frustrated, everything went back for a refund.

This time I installed a 35W AC 8000K kit. Before install I bent the metal tabs on the bulbs ever so slightly 'forward' (towards where the front end of the vehicle would be, after install, or towards the direction of the glass tube). One bulb gave me a little trouble, the other one went right in and locked on the first try. Again, this was a cause of enormous frustration on my first attempt, months ago. I mounted the brackets in the same spots highlighted in the video I posted above, extremely convenient. The one near the battery I had to use a short bracket extension to reach the ballast bracket, but fortunately I had one that was exactly the right fit. I had to use zip ties to keep the electrical sockets connected to the HID ballasts, but no big deal.

I am quite pleased with the HID kit. The color is exactly what I wanted. It matches my switchback LED running lights (42 LED smd 2835 bulbs) and isn't overly blue. I was actually fairly surprised, I figured the 8000K would be 'blue' but it's still more white than blue. Hoping these last a while and looking forward to some more night driving.

·
Photojournalist
1,795 Posts
Glad you got what you wanted.
That shows you can't trust most of the sellers when it comes to Kelvin ratings.
8000-deg K should be darn near purple.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

·
Captain Camry
269 Posts

That's an understatement. Originally I was between a 5000K and 6000K kit. In looking at the dealer's photos, my 8000K would definitely be closest to 6000K in their photos. I also cut off the rubber gasket around the wires that bunch them all up, makes it easier to run them behind stuff, hide and zip tie out of the way. Came out with a very clean install.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts

Kelvin ratings and lumens ratings... This review on HID planet does a really good job showing that aftermarket HID bulbs are not all the same....

https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/forum/showoff/output-shots-beam-pattern-pictures/1451111-aftermarket-hid-bulb-shootout

The images have been removed by photobucket, but the measurements are still there...

Enjoy :)

Steve

·
Registered
21 Posts
Kinda wish I woulda sprung for the Phillips rebased from Xenon Depot this time around just to try but in my (limited) experience the house 4300K bulbs are very nice but probably not blue enough for your application. But they make great light. I may order a pair of the Phillips to have for spares.

·
Photojournalist
1,795 Posts
Kinda wish I woulda sprung for the Phillips rebased from Xenon Depot this time around just to try but in my (limited) experience the house 4300K bulbs are very nice but probably not blue enough for your application. But they make great light. I may order a pair of the Phillips to have for spares.
I've had them a year but not much night driving. Mine haven't shifted.
They look white unless my LED DRLs are on. There is a blue fringe if you pull up to a white wall.
All in all great HID from them!

·
Captain Camry
269 Posts
Redid this project AGAIN. I was still not pleased with the overall install. I'm a bit of a perfectionist. First I added a relay harness. I connected the positive wire directly to the battery terminal and covered that with the battery terminal cover, completely hidden and bolted down. The negative side I connected behind the battery right at the bottom. There's a negative connector that goes from the battery right to a post there. I was able to bolt that down as well. I zip tied the relay itself to a small retention clip that holds the original headlight wires below the headlights. My harness has only a single connector, so I did that on the driver's side. I ran under along the radiator wiring and coolant reservoir to the passenger's side. Everything came out clean and I'm pleased with the light temp and output.

Attachments

·
TN の がしょう
7,394 Posts
Just some more pictures of the Morimoto's installed. 6500k. Very pleased with the light temp. The third photo shows my HID relay mount location.
Did you choose 6500k because it matches with the LEDs in your fogs/indicators or you just like that certain temp? Just curious because 6500k is too blue for my taste and the light distance isn't as far as a 4300k - 5000k would.

·
Captain Camry
269 Posts
Did you choose 6500k because it matches with the LEDs in your fogs/indicators or you just like that certain temp? Just curious because 6500k is too blue for my taste and the light distance isn't as far as a 4300k - 5000k would.

Yes, I wanted something as close to my parking light color as possible, if not slightly bluer. I find it extremely unappealing when cars have parking or corner lights that are a higher color temp than their headlights. I will be honest, I wish it was a *touch* less blue, but the next step down is way off. However I am more than satisfied with the final result at 6500k. From a distance looking straight on (or as oncoming traffic would see it) there's zero excessive glare and the color looks bright white. I would say it's right in the middle of the pack for OEM lighting. For example it's definitely less blue than the new Mercedes lights and those horrid Corolla LEDs. The light it throws down the road reflects as a nice clean white. I will admit that close up (10 feet or less) the blueness does increase, but as far as getting the brightness and color I need for driving and 'other drivers irritation level' I am getting exactly what I want. Morimotos are bright lights, they blew away all the other HID bulbs I tested, by 2-3x as bright. If I could find a reasonable LED replacement for my parking lights that was slightly less blue, I'd go with the 5500k Morimotos.

1121 - 1140 of 1140 Posts