Toyota Nation Forum banner
1141 - 1142 of 1142 Posts

·
SC Camry Owner
'17 Camry SE
23 Posts
I know this thread is 2 yrs old but I’m currently in the process of doing a LED conversion for my 17’ SE (low beam now, DRL/high beam next) and wanted to know what the DRL/high beams look like when they’re in DRL mode. Have any pics you can post? I know you also changed the stock yellow blinker lights to LED DRLs similar to the XSE and XLE (plan to do this eventually) but was hoping you have a pic you’d share.

Thanks in advance bud and hope everyone is staying safe and sane.

·
Captain Camry
415 Posts
The high beam and DRL position use a shared 9005 bulb. When the bulb is illuminated in DRL mode, the car sends a pulsed current to the bulb. A halogen bulb appears to the human eye to be dimmer and constantly on (because halogen dims and illuminates more slowly). However, if you replace this position with an LED bulb, it will flicker when in DRL mode. I believe there are a couple of companies that make LED products that won't flicker and are designed specifically for this application. This is NOT the same as a canbus flicker issue. So if you buy a non-flickering canbus bulb with the expectations that it won't flicker on DRL, you'll be disappointed. HID will be an even bigger mess because the ballast takes a while to warm up. If you're going to use a non-halogen bulb in this position, your best bet is to disable the DRL mode through the car's settings on the stereo. I'd recommend that instead you swap out the turn/parking signal lights with a switchback LED and wire in a resistor on each side to load the circuit and prevent a hyper blinking error. This is what most of us here have done.

1141 - 1142 of 1142 Posts