Toyota Nation Forum banner

161 - 180 of 1140 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
thank you so much for posting this I just started working on my car and now the only thing I'm waiting for the 10k HID to come in
Ur wlcm

But as others have already stated, getting a 10K HID kit deems your night time vision useless and moreover -- in my personal opinion -- looks way too aftermarket for my taste an ruins the look of a car.

As this article conveys, even @ 8000K, your are already loosing 20% of useable lights when compared to the approx 3200 lumens a 4300K HID will produce.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
okay I just finished switchback LEDs for the turn signals 10k HIDs for the low beams royal blue LEDs DRL hi beam

P.s. thank you so much for starting post. I can't wait to see what else you do#2015CamrySE
Ur wlcm. Could u possibly provide a link to all the products u used as a reference for others who see ur image. Thnx

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #165 (Edited)
Upgraded my 15' Camry's OEM dash speakers w/ a pair of 3.5" Rockford Fosgate P132 as I felt the dash were the weakest link in the current standard 6-speaker setup.

After the upgrade, the clarity is much improved w/ the mids & highs being exceptionally clear even @ higher volumes. The bass of these new speakers are phenomenal & I hear background instruments in songs I play via bluetooth from my iPhone 6 on the regular that I never noticed b4.

Pictures

- Used a prying tool lift up the dash grille

- OEM speaker turned out to be really small compared to my upgrade

- As you can see, the OEM lacks any twitter which explains the lack of higher frequencies & it's size explains its like of bass
- The OEM is rated @ 4 Ohm & thus I replaced it w/ a 4 Ohm speaker

- Notice the bass blocker or capacitor on the OEM speaker. I am trying to replicate that on the Rockfords P132 as I wasn't able to reuse the OEM one

- Test fitted the Rockford prior to install & they fit perfectly

- OEM harness has four wires (two + & -)
- I spliced them together to form two wires to connect to the Rockford's + & - terminals.

- I replicated the same steps w/ the right dash speaker wires

- Speaker fitted snugly w/ the additional wires but the dash cover went back on w/ no issues :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
You're the man. This is awesome. I was planning to do a speaker revamp on my wife's too. I love my sound quality way too much..

·
Registered
21 Posts
With the V3 switch back tritons out of stock until the end of April, i have been looking for other things to purchase. I have been looking into speakers and floormats.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
You're the man. This is awesome. I was planning to do a speaker revamp on my wife's too. I love my sound quality way too much..
Yeah I love my sound also. That's why am considering installing some sound deadening on the front doors & rear deck to reduce the wind noise in the cabin

If u find my post useful, feel free to hit that "Thanks" or "Like" button :smile:

With the V3 switch back tritons out of stock until the end of April, i have been looking for other things to purchase. I have been looking into speakers and floormats.
Yeah, one thing VLED suck @ is inventory. Half the time, there most popular items aren't in stock. Am currently waiting for their 194 6K 360 degree 180lm leds that bad been back ordered for weeks now

I recommend Husky WeatherBeaters as floor liners. I posted pics of mine & got them off Amazon for $115 free shipping. Much better than the overpriced WeatherTechs

·
Registered
21 Posts
I recommend Husky WeatherBeaters as floor liners. I posted pics of mine & got them off Amazon for $115 free shipping. Much better than the overpriced WeatherTechs
i have read your review on them. I saw another review on Amazon stating the middle part of the liner doesn't actually sit on the floor. Does the same apply to yours? Have you kept the liner covering the trunk and gas latches?

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
i have read your review on them. I saw another review on Amazon stating the middle part of the liner doesn't actually sit on the floor. Does the same apply to yours? Have you kept the liner covering the trunk and gas latches?
The middle part of mine is just fine. And I did leave the liner covering the trunk as it doesn't bother me. I would rather they be protected from liquid damage than exposed...

·
Registered
21 Posts
The middle part of mine is just fine. And I did leave the liner covering the trunk as it doesn't bother me. I would rather they be protected from liquid damage than exposed...
okay. For the speakers did you need any additional wires? If so, which kind and where did you get them?

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #172 (Edited)
okay. For the speakers did you need any additional wires? If so, which kind and where did you get them?
As I conveyed in the pics, I had to create a + & - wire from the four wires in the OEM harness (a pair of positive & negative). I used 14 gauge wires. You can get these from ur local walmart or home depot. I just happened to get mine from Home Depot

·
Registered
21 Posts
As I conveyed in the pics, I had to create a + & - wire from the four wires in the OEM harness (a pair of positive & negative). I used 14 gauge wires. You can get these from ur local walmart or home depot. I just happened to get mine from Home Depot
You're a good man

·
Photojournalist
1,791 Posts
Upgraded my 15' Camry's OEM dash speakers w/ a pair of 3.5" Rockford Fosgate P132 as I felt the dash were the weakest link in the current standard 6-speaker setup.

After the upgrade, the clarity is much improved w/ the mids & highs being exceptionally clear even @ higher volumes.

- As you can see, the OEM lacks any twitter which explains the lack of higher frequencies & it's size explains its like of bass
- The OEM is rated @ 4 Ohm & thus I replaced it w/ a 4 Ohm speaker

- Notice the bass blocker or capacitor on the OEM speaker. I am trying to replicate that on the Rockfords P132 as I wasn't able to reuse the OEM one

- OEM harness has four wires (two + & -)
- I spliced them together to form two wires to connect to the Rockford's + & - terminals.
http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/omopastor1/media/2015%20Camry%20SE%20Upgrades/Speakers/2015-04-01_21_45_44_zpsszjkpheb.jpg.html
This was covered in depth, but just in case others read this and don't find last year's thread:
1. The OEM dash speaker does NOT lack a tweeter; it IS a tweeter--ONLY. That is why you are picking up mid and bass now. The mid/bass is in the door.

2. The capacitor is not a "bass blocker" as such. It does two things: it creates the crossover frequency for the tweeter. And, it makes the speaker look like 2Ω to the head unit.

3. The second set of wires goes to the respective door.

The other thing we pretty much found (though most have added their door speakers by now) is adding RF in the rear shelf is the next punch up thing.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
This was covered in depth, but just in case others read this and don't find last year's thread:
1. The OEM dash speaker does NOT lack a tweeter; it IS a tweeter--ONLY. That is why you are picking up mid and bass now. The mid/bass is in the door.

2. The capacitor is not a "bass blocker" as such. It does two things: it creates the crossover frequency for the tweeter. And, it makes the speaker look like 2Ω to the head unit.

3. The second set of wires goes to the respective door.

The other thing we pretty much found (though most have added their door speakers by now) is adding RF in the rear shelf is the next punch up thing.

Hope this helps.
Thnx for dat useful clarification @sethr :thumbsup: That explains why I never really heard any bass coming from the front dash nor mids. I have some questions if u don't mind:

- why did Toyota choose to make the dash speakers just tweeters? Is that common w/ car manufacturers?

- I ordered a bass blocker (400 Hertz 4 Ohm) to protect my new dash speakers. Do u think this is a good idea?

- why would Toyota want the tweeter to seem like 2Ω?

- what is an RF & what do u mean by "rear shelf?"

- what 2nd set of wires are u referring too

Sorry for all the questions. Am new to this & just curious :)

·
Registered
404 Posts
See the red, dont know the answers to all your questions

Thnx for dat useful clarification @sethr :thumbsup: That explains why I never really heard any bass coming from the front dash nor mids. I have some questions if u don't mind:

- why did Toyota choose to make the dash speakers just tweeters? Is that common w/ car manufacturers?

Yes

- I ordered a bass blocker (400 Hertz 4 Ohm) to protect my new dash speakers. Do u think this is a good idea?

Rear Shelf = the area in the back window, behind the head rest.

there was 2 wires for each negative and positive, one of each goes to the door speaker

·
Photojournalist
1,791 Posts

Try this for openers. http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/310-7th-generation-2012/873770-dash-speaker-installation.html

It can get intense and confusing at times, but we'll help you after you get an idea of why we did what we did.

I didn't mean 2Ω. That is what you do NOT want the radio to see. (There is a capacitor on that white plug; that is what you want to emulate) Combined with the door speaker makes them a 4Ω "set" without using a crossover network like real systems. It's all about what the head unit radio wants to see.
In the above link you'll see about adding capacitor to bring things in line. I don't think anyone added bass blocking, though we used Kickers instead of RF in the dash. Specs on yours show a low of 120, though it probably doesn't go that low except on a test bench.

RF= Rockford Fosgate. You'll see. We just got tired of typing it. LOL.

Second set of wires are the two of each you twisted together in the dash. One goes to the radio; the other to the door.

Keep in mind your new dash speakers probably already HAVE a capacitor in them as a crossover. RF hides them in the speaker basket on the higher end stuff (Punch).

BTW- I do not have an amp or sub-woofers.

Feel free to ask anything you'd like. Lot's of people here with options for any way to do something.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
Try this for openers. http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/310-7th-generation-2012/873770-dash-speaker-installation.html

Keep in mind your new dash speakers probably already HAVE a capacitor in them as a crossover. RF hides them in the speaker basket on the higher end stuff (Punch).

BTW- I do not have an amp or sub-woofers.

Feel free to ask anything you'd like. Lot's of people here with options for any way to do something.
Thnx for the clarification. I noticed you did not upgrade the rear speaker, why so?
Moreover, do you think sound sound deadening is worth the install?

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
I installed a pair of 400Hz bass blockers yesterday & it greatly improved their clarity & higher volumes while retaining the mids by reducing the bass. Several reviews on amazon recommended this be done to the speaker due to their powerful bass which in the long term could damage them @ higher volumes.

- Here is the set I got

- Just wired it into the positive terminal

161 - 180 of 1140 Posts
About this Discussion
1.1K Replies
147 Participants
CorollaPants
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing