Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 749 Posts

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,947 Posts
Just heard it will be announced at the NY auto show as well! Let's see what Toyota has to show us for this iteration of the camry. Hope its something imaginative, just short of insane :)
I hope it's not. :)
I would like to see a bit more aggressive Camry, but not too futuristic or cartoonish. Camry is a family car and Toyota should keep Camry’s design family and mid aged/mature audience oriented. New sonata for instance is much more conservative than old one and IMO it's a good thing and it will improve sonata's position in the segment.
You can’t kill two birds with a single rock; if Toyota will keep trying to make the Camry appealing to younger and more mature buyers, they may lose both. In addition to the Camry Toyota need another sportier and more extreme looking mid size car for a younger buyers and they should offer manual, turbo and coupe body to reduce competition to the minimum.

·
Registered
2012 Camry SE (V6)
299 Posts
They're saying major update / refresh. I don't expect this to be a complete redesign. Just more of a facelift than Toyota typically does. So I woudln't expect much change in transmission or engine. I think they're just focused more on style & features until the complete redesign comes. I expect something as dramatic as Ford's update to its first gen Fusion sedan. Same body style, but it was a great update to the front & rear that made the car way more competitive.

·
Registered
2012 Camry SE V6
1,898 Posts
I hope it's not too drastic of a change that makes my 12 look dated. Seems like I just got my 12 and I would like it to still be the new looking model lol.. Jeep did that to me. Bought my 2012 jeep in march 2012. By march 2013 they came out with the 14!! With a face lift and nice additions like led drls and stuff. Was po'ed my 12 was two yrs old in 1 year...

·
straight cash homie
22,846 Posts
Why Toyota will buck convention with '15 Camry update at N.Y. show

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...k-convention-with-15-camry-update-at-n-y-show
It’s been rumored for months and now it’s official. Toyota is updating the Camry for 2015 and will use the media glare of the New York Auto Show next month to showcase its latest mid-sized sedan.

The company said Wednesday the refreshed Camry planned for New York “will challenge conventional expectations of a mid-cycle model change,” and left it at that.

It’s unusual for an automaker to use a prime slot during press previews at a major auto show to only pitch a refreshened model.

But the Camry -- last redesigned for the 2012 model year -- has been the best-selling U.S. car for 12 years. And its grip on the top spot -- and in one of the industry’s key segments -- has slipped.

Mid-sized sedan sales rose just 1 percent last year and are off 11 percent this year through February.

The Honda Accord, Nissan Altima, Ford Fusion, Kia Optima and Mazda6 gained ground on the Camry in 2013. And the Altima edged the Camry in U.S. sales in the first two months of this year.

Camry sales in the United States have topped the 400,000 mark in each of the last two years, and Bob Carter, head of automotive operations for Toyota Motor Sales, has vowed it will remain the nation’s top-selling car in 2014.

After two months of chilled sales, Toyota this week said its March retail deliveries in the United States are running 4 percent above March 2013, in part, because of “strong momentum for Camry.”

Some people describe the current Camry as uninspired.

No doubt Toyota wants to give it more pizzazz under the glow of the Big Apple.

We’ll find out more on April 16.

·
straight cash homie
22,846 Posts
I hope it's not. :)
I would like to see a bit more aggressive Camry, but not too futuristic or cartoonish. Camry is a family car and Toyota should keep Camry’s design family and mid aged/mature audience oriented. New sonata for instance is much more conservative than old one and IMO it's a good thing and it will improve sonata's position in the segment.
You can’t kill two birds with a single rock; if Toyota will keep trying to make the Camry appealing to younger and more mature buyers, they may lose both. In addition to the Camry Toyota need another sportier and more extreme looking mid size car for a younger buyers and they should offer manual, turbo and coupe body to reduce competition to the minimum.
Toyota will make the Camry where the market is going. If younger families like the competition more, than the styling will be more like the Sonata or Fusion. Toyota's well aware that the competition has took its marketshare. It has to do gain it back, and sell without having to discount them so deeply.

·
Registered
2012 Toyota Camry SE
55 Posts
I think what Toyota should do for this refresh or the next redesign for Camry is to be very aggressive and take risks to the styling of the SE model and keep the LE and XLE models conservative in styling, because if they screw up big time with the "aggressive" design it won't really affect sales because there'll still be the conservative models for customers to buy and they should make an option for SE appearance package while keeping the soft suspension of LE/XLE models for those customers that like the appearance but don't want the sporty drive and add a SE Sport package which goes all out with performance enhancements like very stiff suspension, lowered slightly and maybe revert back the gearing ratios to the 6th Gen Camry ratios so the V6 SE model can actually be a little bit more quicker and on top of the competition without having to upgrade engine power, also focusing on feedback on the steering on the SE models would be greatly appreciated, basically they could use the SE model to wow the car reviewers and rid the Camry of boring appliance image. Also instead of using their money to put incentives on the car they should use it to add back the features that they had to remove from the 6th Gen Camrys like plasma cluster, all automatic up/down windows, rear reclining seats, etc. The Camry currently is really falling behind in the "features" department.

·
Registered
4Runner & Fusion
972 Posts
I'm hoping Toy gives the XLE the SE body. I'm also hoping no CVT and that the V6 is sticking around, or I'll be buying a 2014.5 on 4-17-14. If Toy comes to its senses, maybe the LE gets XM radio standard. That alone would give it a jump on the Accord.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,947 Posts
Toyota will make the Camry where the market is going. If younger families like the competition more, than the styling will be more like the Sonata or Fusion. Toyota's well aware that the competition has took its marketshare. It has to do gain it back, and sell without having to discount them so deeply.
"The most boring" in the class Gen 6 and 6.5 were on top of the market More aggressive and more modern looking Gen 7, even though it's still called "the most boring" by every "professional" review, managed to outsell all competitors in class again, so "boring" is not a bad thing when you are talking about family cars.
One more thing to consider; very few of the younger buyers can afford 25+K car and even less of them looking for a 4 door family sedan. most of the "family" segment buyers who can afford to shell out 25-30K for a brand new car are 30+ and vast majority of them are not looking for a "hot and flashy" sedan.

·
Registered
2014 Camry SE Silver
968 Posts
"The most boring" in the class Gen 6 and 6.5 were on top of the market More aggressive and more modern looking Gen 7, even though it's still called "the most boring" by every "professional" review, managed to outsell all competitors in class again, so "boring" is not a bad thing when you are talking about family cars.
One more thing to consider; very few of the younger buyers can afford 25+K car and even less of them looking for a 4 door family sedan. most of the "family" segment buyers who can afford to shell out 25-30K for a brand new car are 30+ and vast majority of them are not looking for a "hot and flashy" sedan.
Guess I'm an exception then since I'm 21 lol... My plan is to keep this car for 5 years maybe, then pass it on to my mom & I'll get my Audi, BMW, or w/e luxury I can hopefully afford :clap::clap:

·
straight cash homie
22,846 Posts
That was 5-6 years ago. Things change....that fast. And the competition is much different too. IF very few younger buyers can afford them "looking" sedans, that doesn't explain why the Camry lost marketshare, while Altima and Fusion have gained. Perhaps "old" buyers like you are changing their preferences. Regardless of buyers being "young" or not, it doesn't change what and where the market is going to.

·
It's Official
16 Tundra, 14 RAV4,
8,848 Posts
My neighbor just got a loaded new Fusion in the burnt orange type color. Gotta admit, that thing looks SWEET. And you can get it in blue, so its a leg up on Camry :lol:

1 - 20 of 749 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.