Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my car new and it has over 107,000 miles. Today while driving in top gear and already accelerated to my top speed and with cruise control set, I felt my car almost miss. Then my check engine light came on saying “Check Stability Control”. My cruise control shut off and will not work (was told that it automatically shuts off when the check engine light comes on).

I took it to the dealer and they said it was my VVTI valve on the exhaust side that needed replacing. They implied that this valve only gets like this because it has not been lubricated properly. They implied I had not done my maintenance routinely and I ALWAYS have the oil changed when the light comes on and use synthetic oil. They’ve said it will be $2800 to replace.

Has anyone dealt with this before? Is it really that expensive to fix or has the dealership jacked the price and labor up?

I’m not engine/mechanic savvy in the slightest. I try to keep my car up because I’m a hospice social worker and depend on it for my job. It’s been a good car. The only issue was when I came back from vacation and it wouldn’t crank on the first day back because the battery had died.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
827 Posts
They need to give you more information. What was the stored trouble code? Is the problem on bank one or bank two? Also do they mean VVT solenoid or VVT cam phaser because I’ve never heard of a VVT valve. The solenoid isn’t an expensive fix because it’s accessible but the cam phaser would involve a lot more work.

·
Registered
834 Posts
You would only have to look in your owner's manual to see that there is no lubrication maintenance specified for your Camry's VVT or phasers or valves. Any valves would be part of some bigger component, but no lubrication is ever required, that's the oil pump's job!
The whole wording of this makes no sense. The dealer has failed to provide an adequate explanation imo.
Get a second opinion without telling the shop what the dealer said. Only then should you perhaps mention what the dealer claimed is the problem/resolution.

·
Registered
505 Posts
what was the check engine code? Sounds like a P0015. Part is $140ish. For me in my v6 this happened 500 miles away from my 5k oil change interval. you may need to just do an old change and erase the code to see if it comes back. i was prepared to order the part and switch it out. but I did my oil change and reset the check engine light and it has not come back yet. This thread talks about the issue.

·
Official PITA
'05 Solara 'Vert & '07 ES350
1,289 Posts
IF the code indicates it's one of the VVTi solenoids, before you spend any time or money, have the oil changed and clear the code, then wait to see if the check engine light and code comes back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.