Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Corolla S Plus.
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello - I know this topic has been discussed ad nauseum and I've read through as many of the posts as I could find but I haven't been able to find the answer I've been looking for. My goal is to avoid EVER taking my car to the stealership if I can.

So what I seek are what folks have experienced as "symptoms" of a CVT that actually needed the update. E.g., someone who had "symptoms," did the software upgrade, then noticed a distinct change in the CVT's behavior.

The symptom I have happens about half the time when I start to accelerate from a dead stop or a slow rolling stop. The CVT seems to not "catch" (if that makes sense) as I step on the gas. The engine very briefly speeds up a little, then the transmission "catches" or engages after that very brief period of not catching. My question to those more experienced that I am: Is this an issue that you may have had and if so, did the software update fix it?

I know some might just say to me, "Go get the update - it's free." Yes, I know that but the stealership in my area has some bad feedback with some people I know. I hope to avoid ever having to go there for anything. The one and only time I went there was to buy replacement windshield wiper blades. They sold my the wrong ones.

Thanks for your patience with me bringing this up again and I appreciate any input!

·
Registered
2014 Corolla
334 Posts
You don't have to go to the dealership where you bought the car. You may go to a different Toyota dealership with certified service provisions, and schedule an appointment to have it done there. Replicate it with audio or video recording, and have someone to hold the camera for you, so you have more chances of catching it as you drive normally. It's been over 280K, and I don't think I've ever experienced a bad spin-up like how you describe your problem to be.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The s/w updates actually created a problem with my CVT, similar to what you described. Mine feels like your driving a standard transmission car in too high a gear. When I'm driving at ~20-30 mph and accelerate I can hear a loud groaning noise with some vibration and lag. Almost feels like the CVT is lagging behind the engine's power band. I never experienced that prior to the updates. Dealer says normal, go figure.

·
Registered
2015 Corolla S Plus.
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

Thanks Di3S3L and Lollipop - With that info, I'll wait till I get moved to FL and then research stealerships down there before proceeding further. :thanks: :thanks:

·
Registered
2018 Corolla LE
152 Posts
Mine feels like your driving a standard transmission car in too high a gear. When I'm driving at ~20-30 mph and accelerate I can hear a loud groaning noise with some vibration and lag. Almost feels like the CVT is lagging behind the engine's power band. I never experienced that prior to the updates. Dealer says normal, go figure.

Not normal. Somewhat common, maybe, but several here, including me, have reported never experiencing this.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
The engine very briefly speeds up a little, then the transmission "catches" or engages after that very brief period of not catching. My question to those more experienced that I am: Is this an issue that you may have had and if so, did the software update fix it?
The s/w updates actually created a problem with my CVT, similar to what you described. I can hear a loud groaning noise with some vibration and lag. Almost feels like the CVT is lagging behind the engine's power band.
Could be normal for CVT under some conditions (hard acceleration) but not if it’s constantly operating that way. Vibration might also have a different origin.

The firmware update is not intended to fix but rather prevent a condition. So odd behavior before or after update require different attention: the service campaign provides for repair/replacement of the unit if it’s “too late” for the update, a good reason no to avoid it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts