Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Just bought a 2015 corolla from private seller (with 100,000km--yes, it's been driven!). Test drove the car twice--all was working well. Day I picked up the vehicle, check engine light went on when driving home.

I immediately checked the gas cap, thought it seemed loose, so tightened it. Told seller about the problem, he took to his mechanic who scanned the codes and he sent me photo showing 10/10 codes, and ending in P2419. Mechanic said it was dirty gas cap, cleaned it and greased the cap seal and cleared the codes.

3 days later, check engine light appears again. I cleaned the cap this time. I notice it also seems VERY easy to loosen the gas cap (even if I really tighten it as hard as I can past the 1 click)--so much that the first thing I think when I open the cap is 'this cap is loose', but you simply can't tighten it any more.

Anyways, next step is to buy a new cap I guess.

My concern is that it might need a new charcoal cannister. I've read a lot of stories from people who have had to replace the canister when these codes appear, but they are from older Corollas (2006-2008 etc.). Is it possible there is something wrong with the canister? The car is only a couple years old.

When I went to the dealer, they said 95% chance it's the cap, and that they would need to diagnose it ($120) to confirm though.

any thoughts?

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,329 Posts
Hi,
Just bought a 2015 corolla from private seller (with 100,000km--yes, it's been driven!). Test drove the car twice--all was working well. Day I picked up the vehicle, check engine light went on when driving home.

I immediately checked the gas cap, thought it seemed loose, so tightened it. Told seller about the problem, he took to his mechanic who scanned the codes and he sent me photo showing 10/10 codes, and ending in P2419. Mechanic said it was dirty gas cap, cleaned it and greased the cap seal and cleared the codes.

3 days later, check engine light appears again. I cleaned the cap this time. I notice it also seems VERY easy to loosen the gas cap (even if I really tighten it as hard as I can past the 1 click)--so much that the first thing I think when I open the cap is 'this cap is loose', but you simply can't tighten it any more.

My concern is that it might need a new charcoal cannister. I've read a lot of stories from people who have had to replace the canister when these codes appear, but they are from older Corollas (2006-2008 etc.). Is it possible there is something wrong with the canister? The car is only a couple years old.

When I went to the dealer, they said 95% chance it's the cap, and that they would need to diagnose it ($120) to confirm though.

any thoughts?
I wouldn't pay $120 to diagnose it! Buy a new gas cap as that is cheap. I had to replace my charcoal canister on my 2009 Corolla S. It was around $100 from the dealer and very simple to install. I followed a thread with pictures in the 9th Gen forum as the parts were the same for the 9th And 10th Gen Corollas.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Hi,

any thoughts?

Yes first step is to change fuel cap
You said it never tighten, is CAP O-RING missing?

Any way Toyota Part No.: 77300-07030 is only 17$
https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/toyota~cap~assy~fuel~tank~77300-07030.html

Hope this help
Sincerly yours

·
Registered
801 Posts
77740-02220 is $125 used on eBay
I agree that you could save a lot of money with used parts.

But CANISTER ASSY, CHARC is not a part that i will buy used from webbecause you could end up with the same issues!!!
Or even new on Ebay, you have no warranty!!!

Maybe i buy it used from a scrap yard, Because they give 3 month warranty!!!
But not from the web!!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I agree that you could save a lot of money with used parts.

But CANISTER ASSY, CHARC is not a part that i will buy used from webbecause you could end up with the same issues!!!
Or even new on Ebay, you have no warranty!!!

Maybe i buy it used from a scrap yard, Because they give 3 month warranty!!!
But not from the web!!!
Check seller return policy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, this is all very helpful info.

The O ring is on the gas cap, and appears to be in good shape. I think the car has seen a lot of gravel roads, so maybe the cap seal got worn somehow. Again, the cap does click so you can't turn it any more (in tightening direction), but then you can loosen it very easily, even after cranking it on as hard as possible. I tried a cap on a new Corolla at the local dealer, and it seemed to be a bit more snug, but similar.

I'll order a gas cap and see how it goes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got the new gas cap yesterday. Day 2 today and check engine light is still on. I'm going to drive it for a week to see if it goes out. If not, I'll probably take to dealer to diagnose. Will the CEL go out on its own if the problem was the gas cap?

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,329 Posts
Got the new gas cap yesterday. Day 2 today and check engine light is still on. I'm going to drive it for a week to see if it goes out. If not, I'll probably take to dealer to diagnose. Will the CEL go out on its own if the problem was the gas cap?
It should clear if the problem was the gas cap.

·
Registered
801 Posts
With new gas cap if you still have the P2419 check engine code!!!!

Second major cause for P2419 code is overfill your gas tank
When the pump handle shuts off, round up to $ and hang it up
Don't try to put 5 or 10$ more just because fuel it low cost this week!!!
Overfilling the gas tank will damage the evap Purge Valve and cannister too.

So you may not overfill tank
But you buy it used so, last owner may have overfill tank!!!

Otter cause of P2419 code
-Faulty Vacuum Pump Module
-Vacuum Pump Module harness is open or shorted
-Vacuum Pump Module circuit poor electrical connection
-Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)
-fuel leak
-low fuel pressure
-ETC

Is P2419 check engine code is the only one you get

Sincerly yours

·
Registered
801 Posts
Anyone else having these issues and if so what mileage do you have?
I have this issue on my 2012 Corolla

The problem was never solved
But i have find the cause

When fuel was low priced
A had the tendency to over fill the tank!!!

Once i fill it up to the gas cap!!!!
Issue start after that!!!
P2419 check engine code

Using OBD2 reader i have erase code a lot of time
But it always come back.

I did know that overfilling car with EVAP system could cause this issues
The canister in newer cars is not vented to the atmosphere like the older cars, so once saturated with raw gas, it doesn't clear after a few miles, it stays saturated. This, of course, causes problems in the evap system and never ending 'check engine' codes. Other problems are raw gas mucking up evap sensors and valves, requiring them to be replaced. And some are not cheap. The evap system in newer cars is designed to sacrifice itself to prevent fuel spills from over-filling, so the constant punishment for over-topping the gas tank could lead to expensive repairs.

But without a doubt i did tell that to Toyota
Finally car was still under warranty and Toyota dealer take care of the issue

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
With new gas cap if you still have the P2419 check engine code!!!!

Second major cause for P2419 code is overfill your gas tank
When the pump handle shuts off, round up to $ and hang it up
Don't try to put 5 or 10$ more just because fuel it low cost this week!!!
Overfilling the gas tank will damage the evap Purge Valve and cannister too.

So you may not overfill tank
But you buy it used so, last owner may have overfill tank!!!

Otter cause of P2419 code
-Faulty Vacuum Pump Module
-Vacuum Pump Module harness is open or shorted
-Vacuum Pump Module circuit poor electrical connection
-Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)
-fuel leak
-low fuel pressure
-ETC

Is P2419 check engine code is the only one you get

Sincerly yours
Yes, I still have the P2419 code, there are others as well, the code reader says 10 of 10 codes shown (sorry, I'm getting the info second hand). I still find this very strange, the car is only 2-3 years old, and I am reading stories of many other Toyota owners with similar experiences, spending hundreds of $'s chasing these EVAP issues.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Did you end up fixing this problem...getting evap small leak codes on my 2015 Corolla with 90 000 kms...trying to avoid going to a shop to get it fixed ...any advice on how to diagnose the problem.

Thanks

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have a 2018. The gas cap only turns one click while closing and doesn't take much force to open it. I, too, found this odd and also tried another at the dealer, and it seemed the same.

I completely left the gas cap un-screwed once and got CEL. I screwed in the cap and the CEL went away by itself in a day or two, maybe three.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts