Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks, had a look around for other people posting either DIYs for splash guard removal, or people with the same issues as me but didn't find anything helpful. I've been having some rattling under the engine recently when hitting bumps (only seems to happen at low speeds), and took a look underneath to see if anything was loose. I didn't see anything that would cause that much of a noise, but i did notice that my splash guard underneath the engine has no clips to secure it to the bumper cover. It does look like it has some holes near the front for push clips, or some other method of fastening. I have some photos attached taken from underneath, and inside (above) the splash guard, showing the holes, but no clips.

I tried looking for DIYs or similar on google as well, and found this link: https://parts.olathetoyota.com/auto-parts/2016/toyota/corolla/le-eco-trim/1-8l-l4-gas-engine/body-cat/splash-shields-scat

It looks like to me that I may be missing the bottom most splash shield (51451-02080) since my underneath looks like it has the ridges shown on the sound absorber (52618-02060) but I'm not entirely sure.

Any insight anyone can provide on this would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: Not sure why the first two images uploaded upside down - they're fine on my PC.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shaking that piece doesnt quite sound like the noise I hear but I cant be certain. I'm more wondering if I have a missing piece(s) than what the noise is. The noise just was the reason I was looking underneath.

I can secure it with zip ties or some double sided tape between it and the bumper cover, but if theres a piece missing or clips I should have under there I'd like to replace them.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
5,528 Posts
All the clips along the front edge are missing. Do you recall if the clips has a Phillips screw head or was it just a pop clip?

Heard that the Camry clips were of better quality over the Corolla.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm certain the car did not have the clips when I bought it used from the dealer under a year ago. I haven't hit anything that would cause the clips to break off. Also, there isn't anything to secure the splash guard too with the push clips, you can see that the holes in the splash guard don't have anything behind them to secure to.

I'll have to look around and see if I can find anything to secure this with.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wanted to provide a bit of an update on the noise issue: turns out the noise I was hearing wasn't a rattle at all, but the very popular bushing squeak of the lower control arms. Greased the bushings as suggested in this thread and no more noise: https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/377-corolla-11th-gen-sedan-2014-2019-scion-im-2016-2018/1587962-squeaky-bushings-while-going-over-bumps-while-braking-4.html#post13996974

The lack of clips is something that bothers me though (not in terms of vehicle operation, but just it's something I know is missing now). Does anyone have a photo or could take one of the underside of their splash shield to bumper cover clips? Would like to try and source the right parts, rather than resort to zip ties.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts