Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Thread resurrection. Just wanted to add that it looks like a good tool these days (2019) is the Motivx oil filter wrench. They have 2 different models for Toyota, so make sure you get the one for the Corolla and not the other bigger one for the Camrys, etc.

·
19 Corolla HB SE 6-spd
5,536 Posts
Thread resurrection. Just wanted to add that it looks like a good tool these days (2019) is the Motivx oil filter wrench. They have 2 different models for Toyota, so make sure you get the one for the Corolla and not the other bigger one for the Camrys, etc.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I ended up going through a few tools before finding the one I use now. Went to Mr. Lube in January due to the cold weather, and lack of heated garage and they must have put that thing on with an impact or something. Ended up buying this from Crappy Tire: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-toyota-lexus-cap-wrench-6-cut-64-mm-0283579p.html#srp

I found that the Permashine undercoating on the filter cap made this is a quite snug fit (had to pry it off the cap with a screwdriver).

·
19 Corolla HB SE 6-spd
5,536 Posts
I ended up going through a few tools before finding the one I use now. Went to Mr. Lube in January due to the cold weather, and lack of heated garage and they must have put that thing on with an impact or something. Ended up buying this from Crappy Tire: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-toyota-lexus-cap-wrench-6-cut-64-mm-0283579p.html#srp

I found that the Permashine undercoating on the filter cap made this is a quite snug fit (had to pry it off the cap with a screwdriver).
MotoMaster Toyota/Lexus Cap Wrench, 6-Cut, 64-mm

3.3 out of 5 stars. (6 reviews)

Reviews
  1. 2 out of 5 stars. Todd K
    · 9 months ago
    Doesn't fit a Corolla 2015
    The 2015 Corolla's filter housing is so close to the oil pan that this tool is actually too thick to slide into place (The upper shoulder of the wrench prevents it form sliding into place.) Hope it is more useful for other vehicles.

2. 1 out of 5 stars. LennyB98
    · 2 months ago
    Poor quality and fit
    I bought this for 2014 Toyota Rav4, it is not deep enough to reach the lugs (need 4 cm) this is only 3 cm deep on the filter body to lock on and be able to turn it. Also it does not fit over body of the oil filter, extremely tight fit. I had early model of this oil wrench and it fit and was good, only I broke it, as it was very thin and soft medal. I thought the much thicker newer one would be better, was I ever wrong.

3. 2 out of 5 stars. Emman95
    · 3 months ago
    Poor quality
    The tool fits so tight that I had to grind the interior wall with a Dremel until it did not get stuck anymore. It took me hours until it was OK. The 27mm portion is connected to the wall of the tool with a very thin material making it fragile and could get broken with usage.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes I did visit the page myself and saw the reviews. The first review is actually meant for this wrench: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-toyota-lexus-cap-wrench-4-cut-64-mm-0283578p.html#srp. I bought this one first and had to return it. This one for sure does not fit a 2015 Corolla. The one I linked does.

The second review is from a Rav4 owner. I don't have one so I can't comment on the accuracy of his review.

The third review is exactly what I'm talking about with the Permashine undercoating. I think he had one a little smaller than mine though because mine fits nice, its just snug on there once it comes off and need a little help with a screwdriver.

Again, I'm not saying this is the "be all end all" of oil filter wrenches. Just giving my 2 cents in case someone visits in a pinch and they need a wrench that minute. That one does work.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I ended up buying this tool off Ebay for $7. Probably not as great as the Motivx tool or other more expensive ones, but worked perfectly on my mom's 2015 Toyota Corolla.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I bought the motivx tool because of the screw in feature for the filter drain. At the time I bought mine the filters were coming with an adapter that was just jammed in to drain the filter, I could see that causing that little valve to get cocked and leak. Now most of the filters are coming with a screw in type adapter.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,302 Posts
I've found that many people don't put the oil filter cap on properly to remove the oil filter. The splines fit the canister in a particular orientation and it doesn't fit properly if you don't line it up, properly. The RAV4 one is a larger size so it won't fit the Corolla canister.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts