Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2015 HiHy 2001 Camry
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Has anyone else experienced a case where your Highlander Hybrid, upon pushing the start button (and with the brake depressed), won't start the engine? The car behaves as if the car isn't in park - the dash display then asks for the car to be set to "P" (it is). (The full display says something like "the hybrid system is stopped... please put the car in park"). The car effectively otherwise behaves as if it was in aux mode (with a lot of beeping in the back); there seems to be plenty of electrical power.
Eventually after trying to move the transmission stick a bit (it doesn't really move much), and perhaps pumping the brake pedal, it does start, but sometimes I find myself working at this for several minutes. This seemed to only happen when the car was cold (e.g. wintertime in Tahoe), but it just happened in 55 degree weather.

On a side note, I also noted that the entertainment display sometimes resets on me, losing some preference settings (particularly map display preferences and volumes).

·
7,490 Posts
Try starting in Neutral.
Sounds like you have dreaded gear shifter sticky problem, discussed here by several owners.
Also, just to eliminate it, check 12V. It should be above 11.7V for proper function.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
Has anyone else experienced a case where your Highlander Hybrid, upon pushing the start button (and with the brake depressed), won't start the engine? The car behaves as if the car isn't in park - the dash display then asks for the car to be set to "P" (it is). (The full display says something like "the hybrid system is stopped... please put the car in park"). The car effectively otherwise behaves as if it was in aux mode (with a lot of beeping in the back); there seems to be plenty of electrical power.
Eventually after trying to move the transmission stick a bit (it doesn't really move much), and perhaps pumping the brake pedal, it does start, but sometimes I find myself working at this for several minutes. This seemed to only happen when the car was cold (e.g. wintertime in Tahoe), but it just happened in 55 degree weather.

On a side note, I also noted that the entertainment display sometimes resets on me, losing some preference settings (particularly map display preferences and volumes).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi dear,

All of the above are normally.
The Toyota highlander hybrid should started when , the engine is cold, the heater is on or the hybrid battery is dead.

In another time you just see green light EV and Redy signs, although the heater is on at least the engine is warm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts