Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
CRESSIDA!!!
1984 Toyota Cressida
5,633 Posts
Very surprised this isn't a redesign this year, since I was expecting it. Maybe they're spending more time to get it right and not have it be like the Civic.

·
straight cash homie
22,854 Posts
Very surprised this isn't a redesign this year, since I was expecting it. Maybe they're spending more time to get it right and not have it be like the Civic.
They stretched the lifecycle of this platform one extra year much like the last Highlander. Also, the current Pilot was released in 2008 as a 2009 model, so expect the 2016 to be the new one but it will be out next year.

·
Newbie One Kanobi
2003 Toyota ECHO!!
8,984 Posts
They stretched the lifecycle of this platform one extra year much like the last Highlander. Also, the current Pilot was released in 2008 as a 2009 model, so expect the 2016 to be the new one but it will be out next year.

Isn't the Ridgeline based off the Pilot? Wasn't it confirmed they will have a second gen Ridgeline? I wonder if that had to do with anything but eh. Not that either are intriguing. Both forgettable.

·
Registered
1986 Toyota Cressida
4,512 Posts
..yet they're both selling.
No only the Pilot sells. The Ridgeline is a model that currently sells worse than niche sports cars, the FRS on its own is a better seller than the Ridgeline. The line has been drawn for trucks, Toyota sells over 100K Tundras. Nissan sells about 60K Frontiers. Ford sells nearly 760K F-series pickup trucks. Honda sells 17K Ridgelines...that's pathetic, the Titan is also doing pathetically at 15K. The only difference, Honda is arrogant enough to believe its niche of a sports utility truck still has life to it. GM sold significantly more Avalanches than Honda did the Ridgeline every year, and despite that, GM actually is dropping that segment. The Avalanche was at least a real truck...the Ridgeline is a Honda Pilot pretending to be a truck.

·
11,647 Posts
No only the Pilot sells. The Ridgeline is a model that currently sells worse than niche sports cars, the FRS on its own is a better seller than the Ridgeline. The line has been drawn for trucks, Toyota sells over 100K Tundras. Nissan sells about 60K Frontiers. Ford sells nearly 760K F-series pickup trucks. Honda sells 17K Ridgelines...that's pathetic, the Titan is also doing pathetically at 15K. The only difference, Honda is arrogant enough to believe its niche of a sports utility truck still has life to it. GM sold significantly more Avalanches than Honda did the Ridgeline every year, and despite that, GM actually is dropping that segment. The Avalanche was at least a real truck...the Ridgeline is a Honda Pilot pretending to be a truck.

Honda had a specific target for the Ridgeline. It was for people who did not need the capabilities of a "truck" all the time, hence it having a 6 and not being tough built like say a Ram or F-150.

It probably is also catering to current Honda owners who would want a pickup to go along with their other Honda vehicle products.

·
straight cash homie
22,854 Posts
Honda had a specific target for the Ridgeline. It was for people who did not need the capabilities of a "truck" all the time, hence it having a 6 and not being tough built like say a Ram or F-150.

It probably is also catering to current Honda owners who would want a pickup to go along with their other Honda vehicle products.
And that is why the Ridgeline is very niche.

·
Registered
1986 Toyota Cressida
4,512 Posts
You can buy a Chevrolet Silverado with a 4.3L V6. Its actually cheaper than the Ridgeline and quite a lot more fuel efficient than a Ridgeline. If you buy the Silverado at the right time like inventory clearout, it might even be significantly cheaper than a Ridgeline. There's almost no reason to get a Ridgeline these days, you can have the truck capabilities with almost no sacrifice to fuel economy, truck bed size, towing capacity or durability.

Judging by the 1.3 million Honda vehicles they sell, it appears at most only 3% of Honda owners back when the Ridgeline sold 50K might've considered that. Today its only 1% of owners who might think that way. Not a great proposition.

Sorry zythr this is a Honda that simply doesn't sell. When it was new, it captured a handful of people who wanted a V6 truck-like car. A fuel economy spike has happened since then and now all fullsize pickup trucks(minus the Titan) offer a V6 of some sort. No point these days paying so much for a pretend truck that has several negatives when they could get a real truck with far more benefits and get that bonus of actually paying less for base models.

·
11,647 Posts
You can buy a Chevrolet Silverado with a 4.3L V6. Its actually cheaper than the Ridgeline and quite a lot more fuel efficient than a Ridgeline. If you buy the Silverado at the right time like inventory clearout, it might even be significantly cheaper than a Ridgeline. There's almost no reason to get a Ridgeline these days, you can have the truck capabilities with almost no sacrifice to fuel economy, truck bed size, towing capacity or durability.

Judging by the 1.3 million Honda vehicles they sell, it appears at most only 3% of Honda owners back when the Ridgeline sold 50K might've considered that. Today its only 1% of owners who might think that way. Not a great proposition.

Sorry zythr this is a Honda that simply doesn't sell. When it was new, it captured a handful of people who wanted a V6 truck-like car. A fuel economy spike has happened since then and now all fullsize pickup trucks(minus the Titan) offer a V6 of some sort. No point these days paying so much for a pretend truck that has several negatives when they could get a real truck with far more benefits and get that bonus of actually paying less for base models.

:lol: That's it, Jegan_V. Vast majority of Ridgeline buyers are probably current Honda owners, who want to add a pick up to their Honda "family"

As an example, though not a Honda A dear friend of my mother and me have Toyotas. His wife and he have a Tundra, Prius C and Avalon. His brother even have a Vibe (because he lives near Detroit MI.

Not much of a stretch that Honda owners would do the do the same thing. Same could be said of GM owners, Ford owners, etc.

Put another way, if you (or your family) work for Honda, you and your family would buy Honda, same with Ford, Toyota, GM, etc.

·
Registered
1986 Toyota Cressida
4,512 Posts
Put another way, if you (or your family) work for Honda, you and your family would buy Honda, same with Ford, Toyota, GM, etc.
If they don't make something I like, I won't buy. Sorry I'm not bought out like that. If I worked at Honda, I wouldn't be compelled to buy Honda unless I wanted something they made. Especially now, there isn't a single Honda I want to buy right now, not even employee discount is any incentive. I once worked at BMW, but I never did purchase a BMW in the time that I was there. I work at Ecars now, I didn't buy any of our ex-rentals either.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.