Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having trouble locating the information that I am after. I am trying to find the location of the flasher relay in a 2015 Highlander LE ***** or the lack there of. I have looked at a repair shops software that shows how to fix different things on the HL and such, but it does not show a location of the flasher. I have asked a few mechanics and still can't find an answer and one of my good friends, who is a parts/service manager for a local Toyota dealership has been out with a family emergency, so he has not been able to find out for me.

So I need to know a couple of things, does the '15 HL have a physical flasher relay/module? If yes, were is it located (I have heard on top of the fuses under the dash)? If not, it the flasher system controlled by one of the computers? If controlled by the computer, is it programmable? I know you can program the tap flashing, but I don't know about anything else. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, ok I can see if being digital, but one would think there should be a way to adjust it to compensate for LED turn signals. There has to be a way to use them without having to splice in resistors into the lines. I would be curious to know a little more about this.

·
6,376 Posts
Purchase better LEDs that are complaint with the vehicle electronics.
GOOD Expensive LEDs will not cause issues, Cheap Chinese LEDs WILL cause issues.
The reason the system acts the way it does is to inform you you have a burned out bulb, so even the digital systems to that...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Purchase better LEDs that are complaint with the vehicle electronics.
GOOD Expensive LEDs will not cause issues, Cheap Chinese LEDs WILL cause issues.
The reason the system acts the way it does is to inform you you have a burned out bulb, so even the digital systems to that...
Ok so then the question is, what brand(s) do you recommend. Does it need to be CANBus compatible? I looked at the 7440 and 7443 Philips from XD and it asks for CANBus or not. I am trying not to have to place resistors into the lines if possible.

I purchased these for it from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PHVUWR8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and they work expect they do hyper-flash. I also purchased the same style in red for the brake/tail lights and those work just fine (plus no light out issues, which makes me think no CANBus). I am open to suggestions, but I like this like style with the projector point on the front, these things are bright like I want, just need to stop the hyper-flash.

·
6,376 Posts
CanBUS won't fix hyper flashing.
You need to get LED's with the Load Resistor built in. (Or add it yourself)
I have found the higher end LEDs bulbs have the Resistor built in.
High end bulbs can run $50-$80 per light

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for that, I will look. I do have 2 pairs coming in tomorrow that I purchased that stated they have the resistors built into them. I will put them in and see what they do. Will keep you posted. Thanks for the help.

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,816 Posts
Keep us posted.

Funny thing...You reminded me of something I wanted to do.

I want to use my "flashing" highbeams (pulling it towards you) to NOT turn the low beams on, when I pull the stock towards me.
I wonder if there is a fuse or some wire or relay that is responsible for this?

(I use the LED highbeams to warn on coming traffic, but I also have HID low beams and don't want to have those turn on when flashing the highbeams.)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I have ordered a few different types of bulbs to try out. I did come across one that states is has the load resistors built into it. The only problem is this bulb can only be used as a flasher, there for it can not be used in the front turn signal since it also is the marker light when the head lights are on.

Well I placed it into the rear housing and replaced the front bulb with the original factory incandescent bulb and it actually works correctly, with normal flash speed at the front and back. Well, now I have to figure out how to also have the front an LED. This bulb with hyper flash if you place it in both the front and back on the same side.

I found another set that has wiring attached attached with a resistor built onto it, but I really prefer to not have that. So I guess part of my original questions are still there, what brand(s) of LED bulbs have been successfully used without having to have a resistor and no hyper flash. Or can the dealer reflash the computer to use LED bulbs. I know, under the computers options that can be adjusted for the turn signal itself using the TIS software, there is not anything for using different bulbs, but just wondering if there is something the dealer can do.

·
6,376 Posts
I can assure you there is nothing a dealer can do.
If it can't be done in TIS (Which it can't) There's nothing else they can do....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can assure you there is nothing a dealer can do.
If it can't be done in TIS (Which it can't) There's nothing else they can do....
Ok, was not fully sure on that. Again, my contact at a local Toyota Dealership is out on personal time right now. I do have a programmer that I can use to change things with a TIS unit I now have. Hmm, well have to either find something that will work, if it comes down to it, I guess I might have to user external resistors up front.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ok, was not fully sure on that. Again, my contact at a local Toyota Dealership is out on personal time right now. I do have a programmer that I can use to change things with a TIS unit I now have. Hmm, well have to either find something that will work, if it comes down to it, I guess I might have to user external resistors up front.
I saw some of your posts about LED turn signals and trying to find the flasher relay. We're you ever able to find it in your 2015 HL?

I tried to find it physically by following the sound and the closest I got to finding the location was by taking out the dash instrument panel. That is the only place I heard the clicking of the relay inside of the cluster unit behind the speedometer. I saw some people post the relay is behind/under the steering column but I didn't see or hear anything. I have also tried searching parts diagrams but nothing comes up. I'm afraid to take apart the instrument cluster because I don't want to void a warranty or have someone think the odometer was tampered with.

Jay

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
827 Posts
There are LED bulbs with build-in resistance to over-come the hyper flash issue.
Actually, if you replaced the flasher for LED bulbs and somehow it gets fried (if accidentally putting a regular bulb back in the turn signal socket), you still have issue with the warranty (as my dealer told me back in 2016 when I was replacing all bulbs to LED). I ended up adding a resister for each side of the (front only as I use switch-back LEDs) turn signal; the benefit of that is if I ever need to roll things back to regular bulbs, I can simply switch the bulbs and unplug the resister.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I saw some of your posts about LED turn signals and trying to find the flasher relay. We're you ever able to find it in your 2015 HL?
My understanding, both from some people in this group and my friend at the Toyota dealership is that the flasher is part of the computer of the vehicle, so there is nothing to change out and from what I have seen no way to reprogram it

I did get LED's bulbs in both locations (front and back) and got them working without to much fuss. The rear bulbs I put in have a resistor built directly into the bulb itself, in its body, so I did not have to splice anything or have a resistor sitting in the body of the vehicle (I bought it on Amazon). For the front, since I had a little more room, I purchased a Switch Back light (white while in driving light mode, amber during the turn signal flash). The bulbs have a direct base to fit into the signal location, then it has wires running out the back of it and have a resistor in the wires and then a base that plugs directly into the factory bulb base. (Also bought on Amazon).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There are LED bulbs with build-in resistance to over-come the hyper flash issue.
Actually, if you replaced the flasher for LED bulbs and somehow it gets fried (if accidentally putting a regular bulb back in the turn signal socket), you still have issue with the warranty (as my dealer told me back in 2016 when I was replacing all bulbs to LED). I ended up adding a resister for each side of the (front only as I use switch-back LEDs) turn signal; the benefit of that is if I ever need to roll things back to regular bulbs, I can simply switch the bulbs and unplug the resister.

Agreed in the ability to be able to change back and forth if needed. The flashers that I had purchased, if it had been able to be switched out were smart flashers that could sense the type of bulb(s) that was being used and could adjust itself accordingly.

Not sure why the dealer told you that you would have issues with the warranty, my understand (and I worked for years in the auto parts business) is that changing things out does not void your warranty. Its actually against federal law. Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, the warrant cannot be conditioned to a specific brand of parts, services or vehicle modifications, unless those parts or services are provided free of charge. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket part.

https://betterautomotivelighting.com/2017/01/26/will-installing-led-headlight-bulbs-void-my-trucks-warranty/

https://www.mlmlaw.com/library/guides/ftc/warranties/undermag.htm

·
Registered
827 Posts
Not sure why the dealer told you that you would have issues with the warranty, my understand (and I worked for years in the auto parts business) is that changing things out does not void your warranty. .
By "warranty", I meant any repair covered under warranty. The context of the conversation with the dealer at the time was that if the turn signal circuit was damaged do to an aftermarket device/part (i.e. aftermarket LED flasher), the dealership will charge the customer for any repair/parts/etc.

P.S. ".. changing things out does not void your warranty" which is absolutely correct; yet, if the "things" that we changed out (i.e. an aftermarket device) that caused the damage and caused further damages to the associated system/electronics, that will be on our own dime.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The rear bulbs I put in have a resistor built directly into the bulb itself, in its body, so I did not have to splice anything or have a resistor sitting in the body of the vehicle (I bought it on Amazon).
Thanks for the response! Would you mind sharing the link to the rear bulbs? I looked for something that was built in but no luck. Maybe I used the wrong keywords.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the response! Would you mind sharing the link to the rear bulbs? I looked for something that was built in but no luck. Maybe I used the wrong keywords.

This is what I used for the rear https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q8RZRZV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and this is what I used for the front https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079J9MNXH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 - 18 of 18 Posts